* Re: Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
       [not found] <mailman.439.1320569821.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-11-06 11:28 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-11-06 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> On 6 Nov 2011, at 09:57 , Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 5 2011 at 18:24, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> (Robert Blackstone wrote:)
>>> (source /Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex/setuptex)
>>
>> Change this to
>> source?/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex/setuptex?/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex
>
> Or even better to
>    export PATH=/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:$PATH
>    context $1
>
> And try to delete symb-uni-zapf unless you need it.
>
> Mojca

Thank you. Deleting symb-uni-zapf solved the problem. (There were at least two of these locked folders in my system, both a nuisance in this respect.)
 As far as the engine is concerned, both Wolfgang's and your suggested alternative engine texts work,  as did the original one, in the end.

Thank you both

You (Mojca) also wrote:

Your log implies that you are using TeX Live 2011, not TeX minimals.
But later on you sent a different log.

That is correct. In the first trials I inadvertently used an Engine with an error in the path name (result of migrating everything from another Mac and not checking things thoroughly) so that the minimals could not be found.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
@ 2011-11-07 20:38   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-11-07 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 nov. 2011, at 18:16, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> […]
> I use TeXShop 2.43 (which, incidentally, tells me, when I check for updates, that it is the newest version available.) with an engine that reads:

Hi,

Yes this is correct: TeXShop won't update to TeXShop 3 if you are using version 2.43.
Actually TeXShop 3 is a completely new version of TeXShop only for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: it has many intersting features using the capabilities of Mac OS Lion (in particular one I apperciate very much is a feature which allows you to have all the versions of a file, something like a dedicated Time Machine to each file). For more information see Richard Koch's website
	http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/

Best regards: OK

* Re: Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-05 19:57 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-11-05 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:50, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> Dear All,
> Is there anyone who could help me with the following:
>
> ConTeXt mkiv does not work on my Mac under MacOSX 10.7 (Lion). This holds not only for the minimals installed yesterday (04-11-2011) but also for older versions (september and october, migrated from another Mac under OSX-10.6)
> I attach the log file.
> Could it be that Lion is not yet supported? (mkii seems to work OK)

Your log implies that you are using TeX Live 2011, not TeX minimals.
You can try "which context". Also, it seems that you have a folder
   /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/symb-uni-zapf
without permissions to read it.

@ 2011-11-05 19:31     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-11-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-11-05 17:24   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-05 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.11.2011 um 18:16 schrieb Robert Blackstone:

> On 5 Nov 2011, at 15:53 , Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I use also Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 with TeXShop 3.06 and everything works perfectly, both mkii and mkiv from the Minimals (everything is also fine when invoking context from the command line in Terminal). However I never succeeded using mkiv from TeXLive?
>> Maybe you could say how you typeset your files in ConTeXt?
>
> I use TeXShop 2.43 (which, incidentally, tells me, when I check for updates, that it is the newest version available.) with an engine that reads:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> source /Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex/setuptex

Change this to

source /Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex/setuptex /Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex

Wolfgang

* Re: Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
       [not found] <mailman.432.1320504805.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-11-05 17:16 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-11-05 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5 Nov 2011, at 15:53 , Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use also Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 with TeXShop 3.06 and everything works perfectly, both mkii and mkiv from the Minimals (everything is also fine when invoking context from the command line in Terminal). However I never succeeded using mkiv from TeXLive?
> Maybe you could say how you typeset your files in ConTeXt?

I use TeXShop 2.43 (which, incidentally, tells me, when I check for updates, that it is the newest version available.) with an engine that reads:

#!/bin/bash

source /Users/robertblackstone/context-minimal-04-11/tex/setuptex
context "$1"

This works on another Mac under OSX 10.6.

The log file when I try to typeset the .tex-file mentioned in the first sentence below is very brief:

The argument "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Initials/Initials-test1.tex" is not a valid TEXROOT path.
(There is no file "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Initials/Initials-test1.tex/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex")
...ne/context-minimal-04-11/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun:10769: cannot open /Users/robertblackstone/texmf/tex/symb-uni-zapf/: Permission denied

I have no idea what the folder symb-uni-zapf does in my texmf/tex directory. Should I perhaps thrash it? (I cannot change its permissions.)
And there is indeed no file: "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Initials/Initials-Test-1.tex/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex" but why should there be one?

Thanks also to Wolfgang Schuster and H. vd Meer for their quick replies that, though not offering an immediate solution, reassured me that I will eventually be able to use mkiv on this Mac.

Regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
@ 2011-11-05 14:10 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-11-05 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-11-05 12:43 ` Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2011-11-05 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Works here too, MacOSX 10.7.2.
That is, I installed the latest context beta.

If it might help: I have a directory ~/TeX/context containing the following two files:

[-- Attachment #2: contextbeta --]

#!/bin/bash
curl -o first-setup.sh http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
chmod a+x ./first-setup.sh
mkdir tex
sh ./first-setup.sh >first-setup.log
exit

[-- Attachment #3: ATT00001.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: first-setup.sh --]

#!/bin/sh

# Takes the same arguments as mtx-update

# you may change this if you want ...
CONTEXTROOT="$PWD/tex"

# suggested by Tobias Florek to check for ruby & rsync
if [ ! -x "`which rsync`" ]; then
	echo "You need to install rsync first."
	exit 1
fi
if [ ! -x "`which ruby`" ]; then
	echo "You might want to install Ruby first if you want to use pdfTeX or XeTeX."
fi

system=`uname -s`
cpu=`uname -m`

case "$system" in
	# linux
	Linux)
		case "$cpu" in
			i*86) platform="linux" ;;
			x86_64|ia64) platform="linux-64" ;;
			# a little bit of cheating with ppc64 (won't work on Gentoo)
			ppc|ppc64) platform="linux-ppc" ;;
			# we currently support just mipsel, but Debian is lying (reports mips64)
			# we need more hacks to fix the situation, this is just a temporary solution
			mips|mips64|mipsel|mips64el) platform="linux-mipsel" ;;
			*) platform="unknown" ;;
		esac ;;
	# Mac OS X
	Darwin)
		case "$cpu" in
			i*86) platform="osx-intel" ;;
			x86_64) platform="osx-64" ;;
			ppc*|powerpc|power*|Power*) platform="osx-ppc" ;;
			*) platform="unknown" ;;
		esac ;;
	# FreeBSD
	FreeBSD|freebsd)
		case "$cpu" in
			i*86) platform="freebsd" ;;
			x86_64) platform="freebsd" ;; # no special binaries are available yet
			amd64) platform="freebsd-amd64" ;;
			*) platform="unknown" ;;
		esac ;;
	# kFreeBSD (debian)
	GNU/kFreeBSD)
		case "$cpu" in
			i*86) platform="kfreebsd-i386" ;;
			x86_64|amd64) platform="kfreebsd-amd64" ;;
			*) platform="unknown" ;;
		esac ;;
	# cygwin
	CYGWIN*)
		case "$cpu" in
			i*86) platform="cygwin" ;;
			x86_64|ia64) platform="cygwin-64" ;;
			*) platform="unknown" ;;
		esac ;;
	# SunOS/Solaris
	SunOS)
		case "$cpu" in
			sparc) platform="solaris-sparc" ;;
			i86pc) platform="solaris-intel" ;;
			*) platform="unknown" ;;
		esac ;;
	*) platform="unknown"
esac

# temporary patch for 64-bit Leopard with 32-bit kernel
if test "$platform" = "osx-intel"; then
	# if running Snow Leopard or later
	# better: /usr/bin/sw_vers -productVersion
	if test `uname -r|cut -f1 -d"."` -ge 10 ; then
		# if working on 64-bit hardware
		if test `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable` = 1; then
			# snowleopard32=TRUE
			platform="osx-64"
		fi
	fi
fi

if test "$platform" = "unknown" ; then
	echo "Error: your system \"$system $cpu\" is not supported yet."
	echo "Please report to the ConTeXt mailing-list (ntg-context@ntg.nl)"
	exit
fi

# if you want to enforce some specific platform
# (when 'uname' doesn't agree with true architecture), uncomment and modify next line:
# platform=linux

# download or rsync the latest scripts first
rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin .

# download or update the distribution
# you may remove the --context=beta switch if you want to use "current"
# you can use --engine=luatex if you want just mkiv
env PATH="$PWD/bin:$CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin:$PATH" \
mtxrun --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --force --update --make --context=beta --platform=$platform --texroot="$CONTEXTROOT" $@

echo
echo "When you want to use context, you need to initialize the tree by typing:"
echo
echo "  . $CONTEXTROOT/setuptex"
echo
echo "in your shell or add"
echo "  \"$CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin\""
echo "to PATH variable if you want to set it permanently."
echo "This can usually be done in .bashrc, .bash_profile"
echo "(or whatever file is used to initialize your shell)."
echo

if [ ! -x "`which ruby`" ]; then
	echo "You might want to install Ruby first if you want to use pdfTeX or XeTeX."
	echo
fi

[-- Attachment #5: ATT00002.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 707 bytes --]

and in the directory ~/TeX/context/tex/texmf-local (actually a link to my own stuff).
Installing is done by cd'ing to ~/TeX/context and calling contextbeta.

On 5 nov. 2011, at 12:50, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Dear All,
> Is there anyone who could help me with the following:
>
> ConTeXt mkiv does not work on my Mac under MacOSX 10.7 (Lion). This holds not only for the minimals installed yesterday (04-11-2011) but also for older versions (september and october, migrated from another Mac under OSX-10.6)
> I attach the log file.
> Could it be that Lion is not yet supported? (mkii seems to work OK)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert Blackstone

Hans van der Meer

* Re: Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
@ 2011-11-05 12:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-05 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.11.2011 um 12:50 schrieb Robert Blackstone:

> Dear All,
> Is there anyone who could help me with the following:
>
> ConTeXt mkiv does not work on my Mac under MacOSX 10.7 (Lion). This holds not only for the minimals installed yesterday (04-11-2011) but also for older versions (september and october, migrated from another Mac under OSX-10.6)
> I attach the log file.
> Could it be that Lion is not yet supported? (mkii seems to work OK)

My machine runs under Lion and I don’t have any problems.

Wolfgang

* Problem with mkiv under MacOSX 7 (Lion)
@ 2011-11-05 11:50 Robert Blackstone
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-11-05 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context