* Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19  0:10 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-11-19  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something has changed on my system and I can't find it. Perhaps someone
can point me where I should look.

I've had the texlive2012 installed since it came out and until a couple
of days ago everything worked just fine. All of a sudden, things
changed. I did nothing directly to the texlive distribution.

wwm@escherton$ context --version  gives the error output at the end of
this note

wwm@escherton$ sudo context --version works just fine

wwm@escherton$ mtxrun --version works just fine as does mtxrun --script
fonts --reload &c.

I created a new user.

context@escherton$ context --version works just fine

I deleted the texlive distribution  and re-installed it. No change. I've
run sudo context --generate several times with no change in behavior.
I've deleted the local .texlive2012 directory but since context won't
run, it doesn't get recreated. I can set TEXMF and then context will run
but it takes a much longer time than usual and the disk activity light
is on almost solid.

Any ideas?

Linux Escherton 3.2.0-33-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 18 16:19:45 UTC
2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

(XUbuntu 12.04)

Error output below:

wwm@Escherton$ context --version

mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/bin/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/bin/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/bin/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/wwm/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'/home/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-contexts.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-t-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-t-contexts.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-t-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'context.lua'
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan USA

* Re: Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19  0:53 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-11-19  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

> Something has changed on my system and I can't find it. Perhaps someone can
> point me where I should look.
>

> I've had the texlive2012 installed since it came out and until a couple of
> days ago everything worked just fine. All of a sudden, things changed. I did
> nothing directly to the texlive distribution.
>
> wwm@escherton$ context --version  gives the error output at the end of this
> note
>
> wwm@escherton$ sudo context --version works just fine
>
> wwm@escherton$ mtxrun --version works just fine as does mtxrun --script fonts
> --reload &c.
>
> I created a new user.
>
> context@escherton$ context --version works just fine
>
> I deleted the texlive distribution  and re-installed it. No change. I've run
> sudo context --generate several times with no change in behavior. I've
> deleted the local .texlive2012 directory but since context won't run, it
> doesn't get recreated. I can set TEXMF and then context will run but it takes
> a much longer time than usual and the disk activity light is on almost solid.
>
> Any ideas?

1. Run mtxrun --generate as normal user followed by context --make;
otherwise:

2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
these directories to something different and try again.

Aditya

* Re: Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19  2:21   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-11-19  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/18/2012 07:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> 1. Run mtxrun --generate as normal user followed by context --make;
> otherwise:

Won't run as "me" - same error messages. Ran as another normal user but
it didn't do anything for "me". Same running via sudo

> 2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
> these directories to something different and try again.
>
> Aditya

Done that several times -- no dice

:-(

--
Bill

* Re: Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19  3:01     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-11-19  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

> On 11/18/2012 07:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> 1. Run mtxrun --generate as normal user followed by context --make;
>> otherwise:
>
> Won't run as "me" - same error messages. Ran as another normal user but it
> didn't do anything for "me". Same running via sudo

In general, it is a bad idea to run context tools using sudo. [1]

>> 2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
>> these directories to something different and try again.
>>
> Done that several times -- no dice

Hmm... Are there any other tex related directories like $HOME/texmf-var or
$HOME/texmf-cache? If so try moving those as well.

Otherwise, it could be because of some shell variable that you set (that
is not set for a new user). Try starting with a clean .<shell>rc.

Aditya

[1] Traditional TeX tools provide a -sys version,(e.g., fmtutil and
fmtutil-sys, updmap and updman-sys, etc.) that is to be run by the system
administrator. Context tools do not provide any such version, so `sudo
mtxrun ...` is equivalent to creating files for the root user. As such,
for a multi-user installation, you should avoid running sudo mtxrun etc.

* Re: Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19  3:34     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-11-19  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

>> 2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
>> these directories to something different and try again.
>
> Done that several times -- no dice

I normally do not use TL, but looked into it, and the texmfcnf.lua script
distributed with texlive does not look right. I am attaching the output of
mtxrun --generate that I get. Note the following liines:

resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
resolvers       | resolving | found configuration file
'/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | loading configuration file
'selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'

Now, the /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua file says:

  TEXMFSYSVAR     = "selfautoparent:texmf-var",
  TEXMFVAR        = "home:.texlive2012/texmf-var",
  TEXMFMAIN       = "selfautoparent:texmf",
  TEXMFDIST       = "selfautoparent:texmf-dist",

Note from the mtxrun that selfautoparent is set to '', therefore,
TEXMFMAIN is set to 'texmf' and TEXMFDIST is set to 'texmf-dist'. And
therefore, `mtxrun --generate` is not scanning the right trees, therefore
does not build a cache of the right trees, and consequently, cannot find
mtx-context.lua.

To check my theory, I followed the following steps:

1. Create a directory ~/mytexmfcnf and copied the texmfcnf.lua file from
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/ to this directory.

2. Open ~/mytexmfcnf/texmfcnf.lua and change

    %s/selfautoparent:/\/usr\/share\/

3. Run

    TEXMFCNF=~/mytexmfcnf mtxrun --generate

4. Run

    TEXMFCNF=~/mytexmfcnf context --version

which then gives

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.52
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file:
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2012.05.30 11:26

So I wonder how does context (MkIV) work at all with TL2012!

Aditya

resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | using configuration specification 'home:texmf/web2c;{selfautoloc:,selfautoloc:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoloc:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c,selfautodir:,selfautodir:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf/web2c,selfautoparent:/../texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:,selfautoparent:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c}'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/home/adityam/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/bin/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/bin/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | found configuration file '/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file '/usr/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file './../texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file './texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file './share/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file './share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file './texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file './texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | loading configuration file 'selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'home:.texlive2012/texmf-config' (runtime) (tree:///home:.texlive2012/texmf-config)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=tree, argument=tree:///home:.texlive2012/texmf-config
resolvers       | trees | locator 'home:.texlive2012/texmf-config' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'home:texmf' (runtime) (tree:///home:texmf)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=tree, argument=tree:///home:texmf
resolvers       | trees | locator '/home/adityam/texmf' found
resolvers       | resolving | hash 'home:texmf' appended
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'selfautoparent:texmf-config' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=selfautoparent:texmf-config
resolvers       | files | file locator 'selfautoparent:texmf-config' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'selfautoparent:texmf-var' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=selfautoparent:texmf-var
resolvers       | files | file locator 'selfautoparent:texmf-var' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'selfautoparent:texmf-project' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=selfautoparent:texmf-project
resolvers       | files | file locator 'selfautoparent:texmf-project' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'selfautoparent:texmf-fonts' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=selfautoparent:texmf-fonts
resolvers       | files | file locator 'selfautoparent:texmf-fonts' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'TEXMFMAIN' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=TEXMFMAIN
resolvers       | files | file locator 'TEXMFMAIN' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of '.' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=.
resolvers       | files | file locator '.' found as '.'
resolvers       | resolving | hash '.' appended
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'selfautoparent:texmf-dist' (cached)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=selfautoparent:texmf-dist
resolvers       | files | file locator 'selfautoparent:texmf-dist' not found
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=generators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=home:texmf
resolvers       | expansions | scanning path 'home:texmf', branch 'home:texmf'
resolvers       | expansions | 6200 files found on 1279 directories with 115 uppercase remappings
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=generators, how=uri, scheme=file, argument=.
resolvers       | expansions | scanning path '.', branch '.'
resolvers       | expansions | 5127 files found on 257 directories with 445 uppercase remappings
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | not saving runtime tree 'home:texmf'
resolvers       | resolving | saving tree '.'
resolvers       | caches | hashing tree ., hash 5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d
resolvers       | caches | hashing tree selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua, hash f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b
resolvers       | caching | preparing 'files' for '.'
resolvers       | caching | category 'files', cachename '.' saved in '/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/trees/5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d.lua'
system          | logs | lua: compiling /home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/trees/5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d.lua into /home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/trees/5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d.luc
resolvers       | caching | 'files' compiled to '/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/trees/5058f1af8388633f609cadb75a75dc9d.luc'
mtxrun          |
mtxrun          | runtime: 0.153 seconds

* Re: Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19  6:48       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-11-19  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:
>
>>> 2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
>>> these directories to something different and try again.
>>

>> Done that several times -- no dice
>
> I normally do not use TL, but looked into it, and the texmfcnf.lua script
> distributed with texlive does not look right. I am attaching the output of
> mtxrun --generate that I get. Note the following liines:
>
> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'

It looks as if you were using Debian/Ubuntu? Or any other flavour of
Linux with a native TeX Live package?

> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
> resolvers       | resolving | found configuration file
> '/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | loading configuration file
> 'selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'

> mtxrun --generate

resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to
'/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-darwin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to
'/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to
'/usr/local/texlive/2012'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'bin'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | using configuration specification
'home:texmf/web2c;{selfautoloc:,selfautoloc:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoloc:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c,selfautodir:,selfautodir:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf/web2c,selfautoparent:/../texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:,selfautoparent:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c}'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | found configuration file
'/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | found configuration file
'/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | loading configuration file
'selfautoparent:/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | loading configuration file
'selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'

> Now, the /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua file says:
>
>  TEXMFSYSVAR     = "selfautoparent:texmf-var",
>  TEXMFVAR        = "home:.texlive2012/texmf-var",
>  TEXMFMAIN       = "selfautoparent:texmf",
>  TEXMFDIST       = "selfautoparent:texmf-dist",
>
> Note from the mtxrun that selfautoparent is set to '', therefore, TEXMFMAIN
> is set to 'texmf' and TEXMFDIST is set to 'texmf-dist'. And therefore,
> `mtxrun --generate` is not scanning the right trees, therefore does not
> build a cache of the right trees, and consequently, cannot find
> mtx-context.lua.
>
> To check my theory, I followed the following steps:
>
> 1. Create a directory ~/mytexmfcnf and copied the texmfcnf.lua file from
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/ to this directory.
>
> 2. Open ~/mytexmfcnf/texmfcnf.lua and change
>
>    %s/selfautoparent:/\/usr\/share\/
>
> 3. Run
>
>    TEXMFCNF=~/mytexmfcnf mtxrun --generate
>
> 4. Run
>
>    TEXMFCNF=~/mytexmfcnf context --version
>
> which then gives
>
> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.52
> mtx-context     |
> mtx-context     | main context file:
> /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
> mtx-context     | current version: 2012.05.30 11:26
>
> So I wonder how does context (MkIV) work at all with TL2012!

Maybe it just doesn't work with your linux box :P
One explanation could be that texmfcnf.lua hasn't been configured properly.
It works with plain TeX Live with default installation.

MacPorts would do the following:

post-patch {
    foreach x {texmf.cnf.d/10paths.cnf texmfcnf.lua texlive-update-cnf} {
        reinplace "s|@@PREFIX@@|${prefix}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFMAIN@@|${texlive_texmfmain}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFDIST@@|${texlive_texmfdist}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFPORTS@@|${texlive_texmfports}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFLOCAL@@|${texlive_texmflocal}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFSYSVAR@@|${texlive_texmfsysvar}|g"
${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFSYSCONFIG@@|${texlive_texmfsysconfig}|g"
${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXMFHOME@@|${texlive_texmfhome}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
        reinplace "s|@@TEXLIVE_BINDIR@@|${texlive_bindir}|g" ${worksrcpath}/${x}
    }
}

To Bill: can you try
    which luatex context
    sudo which luatex context
and in particular because you have TeX Live installed in home dir, I
would suggest not to run any command as sudo at all. In particular,
don't try to run "mtxrun --generate" or "context --make" as sudo. It
might be that the cache is not writable by you any more. But then
again - something seems to be wrong with your configuration. How
exactly did you install TeX Live.  Where do you have any texmfcnf.lua?
Please also post the output of a working ConTeXt run and/or "mtxrun
--generate", in particular the part that Aditya posted (definition of
SELFAUTOLOC etc.).

Mojca

* Re: Suddenly can't run context SOLVED
@ 2012-11-19 16:42   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-11-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/18/2012 07:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> 1. Run mtxrun --generate as normal user followed by context --make;
> otherwise:
>
> 2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
> these directories to something different and try again.

GOT IT WORKING!.

I had TexLive installed in /usr/local and apparently installation of
something else changed a permission somewhere. Since this is my laptop
and nobody but me uses it, I removed TexLive from /usr/local and
reinstalled in $HOME/local with the symlinks going to $HOME/bin which is
in my $PATH. Everything works just fine now.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and counsel. I really appreciate it.

--

@ 2012-11-19 17:09         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-11-19 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>>> Done that several times -- no dice
>>
>> I normally do not use TL, but looked into it, and the texmfcnf.lua script
>> distributed with texlive does not look right. I am attaching the output of
>> mtxrun --generate that I get. Note the following liines:
>>
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
>
> It looks as if you were using Debian/Ubuntu? Or any other flavour of
> Linux with a native TeX Live package?

Yes and sorry, I should have mentioned that. I am using Texlive from
archlinux. I was under the impression that archlinux simply includes the
upstream pacakges without any changes, but it appears that TL expects that
it will be installed in /usr/local/.... so installing the binaries i n
/usr/bin confuses texmfcnf.lua

>> So I wonder how does context (MkIV) work at all with TL2012!
>
> Maybe it just doesn't work with your linux box :P
> One explanation could be that texmfcnf.lua hasn't been configured properly.
> It works with plain TeX Live with default installation.

I'll check if Archlinux uses the same texmfcnf.lua as TL or not. If not,
I'll report a bug upstream to archlinux.

Is the expectation that texmfcnf.lua will work out of the box for a
standard linux installation (just like texmf.cnf), or should each
distribution tweak texmfcnf.lua?

Aditya

* Re: Suddenly can't run context
@ 2012-11-19 22:23           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-11-19 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> I'll check if Archlinux uses the same texmfcnf.lua as TL or not. If not,
> I'll report a bug upstream to archlinux.
>
> Is the expectation that texmfcnf.lua will work out of the box for a standard
> linux installation (just like texmf.cnf), or should each distribution tweak
> texmfcnf.lua?

Usually it is advisable to tweak at least a couple of variables
(TEXMFCNF in the TeX sources might be one of them, but the change is
not always needed), but it all depends on the distribution and how
they organize the files.

Even the standard TeX Live installation (including MacTeX) often does
some modifications.

The main problem is that developers usually make sure that LaTeX works
and (understandably) forget about ConTeXt.

Mojca