From: Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu>
To: Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Images in MultiMarkdown -> context -> PDF
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:34:35 -0600	[thread overview]

Sietse,

I have confirmed, after significant testing, that 'convert -density 72'
against existing non-png images produces the expected results in context
output pdf documents.

But I'm left with another problem, again something that becomes apparent
as the difference between having two output formats in my document
workflow: markdown -> pandoc -> html/text -> context tex -> pdf. This
time it's images that are too wide for the available textarea in the pdf
document. Now that the dpi is set, they display at the expected full
resolution, yet if they are greater than 6.5*72=438 pixels, they go over
the right margin. I know I can, individually, modify each
/externalfigure directive and add 'width=\textwidth', but that really is
a PITA. This document will have close to a hundred images.

I will investigate using a commandline script, exif data, and convert to
work through all of the images in the folder to scale/resize them so
that they fit in the PDF document margin width. I don't think that the
html version will suffer if I do this.

So, again, thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Guy S.

--

"There is only love, and then oblivion. Love is all we have
to set against hatred." (paraphrased) Ian McEwan

Guy Stalnaker, I^2@DOIT, 1210 West Dayton Street, Room 3209 CSS, Madison
WI 53719-1220, jstalnak@wisc.edu, work 608.263.8035, cell 608.235.4718,
fax 608.265.6681, page page-guy@watchdog.doit.wisc.edu