* Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-12 17:45 Guy Stalnaker
From: Guy Stalnaker @ 2012-12-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I've been working on a document for weeks and it's been compiling fine.
I have a pdf copy from yesterday afternoon at 4p local time, the last
time it compiled successfully. I was doing a search/replace on some
/crlf to add space between text and an image. The search/replace with
Gnome's gedit included \n in both search and replace string. Suddenly
context will no longer successfully compile the document! What's very,
very odd, is that the context document is an output file from pandoc of
a markdown document that has had no issues until now. If I go back now
to the original markdown doc and regenerate the context document the
issue persists with or without subsequent edit!! Damned peculiar. Here's
the workflow:

pandoc -s -f markdown -t context <file.md> -o <file.context.tex>
gedit <file.context.tex> to add:

\defineexternalfigure[screenshot][frame=on]

and then add [screenshot] to all of the \externalfigure directives. Then
find the /crlf that appear immediate before *all* of the \externalfigure
directives and double them (unless someone who reads this can tell me
how to easily modify the padding of an image when it's placed to
increase the spacing between the image and the text above it).

I've been doing this for many days. Until late yesterday afternoon. Now
context spits out this:

<quote>
structure       > sectioning > subsubsubsection @ level 6 : 0.0.0.1.3.1
-> One URL for All Projects
! LuaTeX error /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/l-file.lua:219: bad
argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
         [C]: in function 'find'
         /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/l-file.lua:219: in function
'collapsepath'
         /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/grph-inc.lua:373: in function
'forbiddenname'
         /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/grph-inc.lua:387: in function
</usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/grph-inc.lua:385>
         (tail call): ?
         /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/grph-inc.lua:735: in function
'identifier'
         /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/grph-inc.lua:753: in function
'identify'
         <main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.

system          > tex > error on line 330 in file
v10TrainingGeneralClassEndUser.contex.tex: LuaTeX error  ...

320       How You Get Access
321     \stopitemize
322
323     \subsubsubsection[one-url-for-all-projects]{One URL for All
Projects}
324
325     A {\em project} in WiscWebCMS is the equivalent of a web site.
You may
326     have access to multiple projects. For all projects you login at
327
\useURL[url2][https://wiscwebcms.wisc.edu][][https://wiscwebcms.wisc.edu]\from[url2].
328     With WiscWeb CMS you are logging into a web application to edit your
329     site.\crlf
330 >>  {\externalfigure[images/group54/26378/CMSLogin.jpg]}
331
332     \subsubsubsection[selecting-your-project]{Selecting Your Project}
333
</quote>

That happens at the very first \externalfigure in the document. The
specific error is:

! LuaTeX error /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/l-file.lua:219: bad
argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

Wah? I can successfully use display from the commandline in the same dir
as the context file on that path shown in the quoted output and it opens
the image. So, it's not the image file or the path--they are both fine.

Any ideas anyone?

--

"There is only love, and then oblivion. Love is all we have
to set against hatred." (paraphrased) Ian McEwan

Guy Stalnaker, I^2@DOIT, 1210 West Dayton Street, Room 3209 CSS, Madison
WI 53719-1220, jstalnak@wisc.edu, work 608.263.8035, cell 608.235.4718,
fax 608.265.6681,

* Re: Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-12 18:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-12-12 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.12.2012 um 18:45 schrieb Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu>:

> [...]
> 327 \useURL[url2][https://wiscwebcms.wisc.edu][][https://wiscwebcms.wisc.edu]\from[url2].
> 328     With WiscWeb CMS you are logging into a web application to edit your
> 329     site.\crlf
> 330 >>  {\externalfigure[images/group54/26378/CMSLogin.jpg]}
> 331
> 332     \subsubsubsection[selecting-your-project]{Selecting Your Project}
> 333
> </quote>
>
> That happens at the very first \externalfigure in the document. The specific error is:
>
> ! LuaTeX error /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/l-file.lua:219: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)
>
> Wah? I can successfully use display from the commandline in the same dir as the context file on that path shown in the quoted output and it opens the image. So, it's not the image file or the path--they are both fine.

Do you get the same error message when you put this short example in the same directory as document?

\starttext
\externalfigure[images/group54/26378/CMSLogin.jpg]
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-12 18:27   ` Guy Stalnaker
From: Guy Stalnaker @ 2012-12-12 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,

With the same context headers in the document as are in the 'real'
document, yes, same error. I've modified the image to different images
in the same directory and a different image in another directory and
still get the same error.

I checked and the only changes made to my system this week were some
ruby packages I installed yesterday, so there should have been no
changes to the context environment itself.

The only other thing I can think of is something awry with Dropbox,
which is where all of these files reside. Except I can edit/view images
and documents. It's just context that seems to have an issue.

Thank you.

@ 2012-12-12 18:44     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-12-12 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.12.2012 um 19:27 schrieb Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu>:

> Wolfgang,
>
> With the same context headers in the document as are in the 'real' document, yes, same error. I've modified the image to different images in the same directory and a different image in another directory and still get the same error.
>
> I checked and the only changes made to my system this week were some ruby packages I installed yesterday, so there should have been no changes to the context environment itself.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is something awry with Dropbox, which is where all of these files reside. Except I can edit/view images and documents. It's just context that seems to have an issue.

Is there also a error when you have only the \externalfigure line in your document without additional setups?

Wolfgang

* Re: Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-12 19:26       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-12 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 12.12.2012 um 19:27 schrieb Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu>:
>
>> Wolfgang,
>>
>> With the same context headers in the document as are in the 'real' document, yes, same error. I've modified the image to different images in the same directory and a different image in another directory and still get the same error.
>>
>> I checked and the only changes made to my system this week were some ruby packages I installed yesterday, so there should have been no changes to the context environment itself.
>>
>> The only other thing I can think of is something awry with Dropbox, which is where all of these files reside. Except I can edit/view images and documents. It's just context that seems to have an issue.
>
> Is there also a error when you have only the \externalfigure line in your document without additional setups?

Some of the file helpers have been rewritten. This error indicates a
problem elsewhere (i can intercept the nil btw) like an empty filename
or so.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-12-13 23:22       ` Guy Stalnaker
From: Guy Stalnaker @ 2012-12-13 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,

Sorry for the delay -- forgot I have the list emails filtered to a
Context mail folder. DOH!

But I'm seeing sporadic behavior. In more testing just now, I had an
image work while other images do not work. This is odd. But, they are on
Dropbox and I wonder now if that may be an issue--hence the 'nil'
response for the image path, perhaps? I'm going to unlink and relink
Dropbox and see if that helps.

More later.

Regards,

Guy

@ 2012-12-15 22:44         ` Guy Stalnaker
From: Guy Stalnaker @ 2012-12-15 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In case anyone was following this thread -- nothing I have been able to
do has eliminated the context error.

I have:

1. Unlinked/relinked Dropbox
2. Moved image files to new directories.
3. Renamed image files.
4. Used a test snippet of regular document headers with only the
\starttext \externalfigure \stoptext
5. Used a test snippet of only the \starttext \externalfigure \stoptext

The compile 'nil' response error persists. After four days of continued
errors I have had to seek an alternate method for creating the print
document.

My thanks to those of you on this list who responded to my questions.

Best regards,

Guy S.

--

"There is only love, and then oblivion. Love is all we have
to set against hatred." (paraphrased) Ian McEwan

Guy Stalnaker, I^2@DOIT, 1210 West Dayton Street, Room 3209 CSS, Madison
WI 53719-1220, jstalnak@wisc.edu, work 608.263.8035, cell 608.235.4718,
fax 608.265.6681, page page-guy@watchdog.doit.wisc.edu

* Re: Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-16  9:22           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-12-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.12.2012 um 23:44 schrieb Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu>:

> In case anyone was following this thread -- nothing I have been able to do has eliminated the context error.
>
> I have:
>
> 1. Unlinked/relinked Dropbox
> 2. Moved image files to new directories.
> 3. Renamed image files.
> 4. Used a test snippet of regular document headers with only the \starttext \externalfigure \stoptext
> 5. Used a test snippet of only the \starttext \externalfigure \stoptext
>
> The compile 'nil' response error persists. After four days of continued errors I have had to seek an alternate method for creating the print document.
>
> My thanks to those of you on this list who responded to my questions.

The last thing you can try is to remove your context installation and to reinstall it.

Can you also provide one of your figures which causes problems.

Wolfgang

* Re: Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-16 14:17             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/16/2012 10:22 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 15.12.2012 um 23:44 schrieb Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu>:
>
>> In case anyone was following this thread -- nothing I have been able to do has eliminated the context error.
>>
>> I have:
>>
>> 1. Unlinked/relinked Dropbox
>> 2. Moved image files to new directories.
>> 3. Renamed image files.
>> 4. Used a test snippet of regular document headers with only the \starttext \externalfigure \stoptext
>> 5. Used a test snippet of only the \starttext \externalfigure \stoptext
>>
>> The compile 'nil' response error persists. After four days of continued errors I have had to seek an alternate method for creating the print document.
>>
>> My thanks to those of you on this list who responded to my questions.
>
> The last thing you can try is to remove your context installation and to reinstall it.
>
> Can you also provide one of your figures which causes problems.

indeed. it would be interesting to know what picture triggers a nil
(i.e. a non picture) someplace in the pipeline

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-12-19 20:38               ` Guy Stalnaker
From: Guy Stalnaker @ 2012-12-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm willing to give you an image, but it cannot be the images. I have
edited the file and put systematically % before the /externalfigure
lines then run context against the file. As I added the % the nil error
shifted to the next /externalfigure. I stopped this after five times. I
have confirmed, by the way, file/directory ownership with chown and
privileges with chmod. They are set as they should be, so whatever is
awry is not owner/privilege related.

Another reason it cannot be the images is that I used context with the
same document and the same images to successfully create a document.
They were unchanged, to my knowledge, the next day when context started
throwing the error. While it's conceivable that some agent might have
modified the documents and/or my office Linux install overnight without
my knowledge, that must be considered a very remote possibility.

That said, I'm hard-pressed to figure out what can possibly have
changed, overnight, such that context would suddenly begin throwing the
errors. That is why I unlinked/relinked Dropbox. They could change
something on their end. But that had no affect on the error. Nor did
moving all the images that are in the document from multiple directories
into one directory.

I think Wolfgang may be correct that I should remove/purge my context
installation. But I have to say that is not an encouraging course of action.

Guy

@ 2012-12-19 20:57                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-12-19 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Guy Stalnaker <jstalnak@wisc.edu> wrote:
> I'm willing to give you an image, but it cannot be the images. I have edited
> the file and put systematically % before the /externalfigure lines then run
> context against the file. As I added the % the nil error shifted to the next
> /externalfigure. I stopped this after five times. I have confirmed, by the
> way, file/directory ownership with chown and privileges with chmod. They are
> set as they should be, so whatever is awry is not owner/privilege related.
>
> Another reason it cannot be the images is that I used context with the same
> document and the same images to successfully create a document. They were
> unchanged, to my knowledge, the next day when context started throwing the
> error. While it's conceivable that some agent might have modified the
> documents and/or my office Linux install overnight without my knowledge,
> that must be considered a very remote possibility.
>
> That said, I'm hard-pressed to figure out what can possibly have changed,
> overnight, such that context would suddenly begin throwing the errors. That
> is why I unlinked/relinked Dropbox. They could change something on their
> end. But that had no affect on the error. Nor did moving all the images that
> are in the document from multiple directories into one directory.
>
> I think Wolfgang may be correct that I should remove/purge my context
> installation. But I have to say that is not an encouraging course of action.
It's also possible to install a parallel context: i.e. if you have context in
/opt/context/standalone-01122012
you can install a fresh context (with first-setup.sh ,  I mean) in
/opt/context/standalone-20122012
copy here your files and check if they fail.

--
luigi

* Re: Odd /externalfigure behavior
@ 2012-12-21 21:51                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-21 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/19/2012 9:38 PM, Guy Stalnaker wrote:
> I'm willing to give you an image, but it cannot be the images. I have
> edited the file and put systematically % before the /externalfigure
> lines then run context against the file. As I added the % the nil error
> shifted to the next /externalfigure. I stopped this after five times. I
> have confirmed, by the way, file/directory ownership with chown and
> privileges with chmod. They are set as they should be, so whatever is
> awry is not owner/privilege related.
>
> Another reason it cannot be the images is that I used context with the
> same document and the same images to successfully create a document.
> They were unchanged, to my knowledge, the next day when context started
> throwing the error. While it's conceivable that some agent might have
> modified the documents and/or my office Linux install overnight without
> my knowledge, that must be considered a very remote possibility.
>
> That said, I'm hard-pressed to figure out what can possibly have
> changed, overnight, such that context would suddenly begin throwing the
> errors. That is why I unlinked/relinked Dropbox. They could change
> something on their end. But that had no affect on the error. Nor did
> moving all the images that are in the document from multiple directories
> into one directory.

There has been some cleanup of filename constructors but nor that
drastic. Maybe some are (temporary) More sensitive so nil arguments but
that is then an indication of some issue earlier in the chain. The
comment and next one being a problem is weird.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE