From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: "Meigen, Thomas" <T.Meigen@augenklinik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt on the Mac (TexShop). Problem of a newbie
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:11:54 +0100	[thread overview]

On 1/10/2013 9:13 AM, Meigen, Thomas wrote:

> .... and as life is already complicated enough ;-), my decision
> has more to do with usability and reliability than with the number
> of options. I am a software developer for more than 20 years now,
> so I know very well how easy it is to implement some
> "bug in recently updated XYZ code" as Hans had diagnosed my
> problem. But would it be possible to use ConTeXt without
> having to care about bugs in updated code or broken links
> between different modules...?

some of the presentation styles started out a experiments and therefore
can have code that should be adapted if experiments have turned feature

anyhow, the transition from mkii to mkiv involves rewrites and therefore
there can be issues but normally they're fixed rather fast; also,
updating is easy (just run first-setup again); it's the price we pay for
using luatex, which is evolving

> So before turning to additional modules with additional questions like...
>
> - if I use simple- or complexslide , do I need to install the visualcounter-module before?
> - if so, is there a clear documentation of the required modules?
>
> .... I wanted to see whether a rather simple example without
> any additional module would work out of the box.
> Well, it did partially... ;-)

you only need modules for special kind of functionality or rendering
(like presentations) although one can make presentations without extra
modules (just set the papersize to S6 or so)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE