* Misbehaving flow charts
@ 2013-01-17 11:00 Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-01-17 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a few questions regarding flow charts.

1) Setting “offset=none” yields to “Missing number, treated as zero.”
2) “option=test” should display a grid according to the manual, but
   it doesn't. It only displays the anchors.
3) What does the maxwidth option do?
4) What are the options “x” and “y” for?

I'd like to set  the width of the cells so that they fit within the
text width. Here is my attempt, but there are several issues.

\usemodule [chart]

\setupFLOWcharts
  [width=37mm,
   dx=1cm,
   offset=-1cm]

\showframe
\starttext
  \startFLOWchart [foo]
    \dorecurse{3}{
      \startFLOWcell
        \location   {\recurselevel,1}
        \expanded{\text {Foo \recurselevel}}
      \stopFLOWcell}
  \stopFLOWchart
  \FLOWchart [foo]
\stoptext

The width is set manually to 37mm, which is ugly and not exact. To
get rid of the inter cell space I used a negative offset, which
clips the cell frame. How do I

5) set the width of the entire chart to \textwidth,
6) get rid of the left and right cell distance without clipping the
   frame?

Using a table it's simple to set up BTW:

\showframe
\starttext
\bTABLE [width=broad, distance=2cm, align=middle, rulethickness=2pt]
  \bTR \bTD Foo 1\eTD
       \bTD Foo 2\eTD
       \bTD Foo 3\eTD \eTR
\eTABLE
\stoptext

Marco

* Re: Misbehaving flow charts
@ 2013-01-17 12:12 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-01-17 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–01–17 Marco Patzer wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding flow charts.

One more issue:

0) \setupFLOWcharts [bodyfont=\bfx] does not work.

Marco

* Re: Misbehaving flow charts
@ 2013-01-19  9:20   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-01-19  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/17/2013 1:12 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> On 2013–01–17 Marco Patzer wrote:
>
>> I have a few questions regarding flow charts.
>
> One more issue:
>
> 0) \setupFLOWcharts [bodyfont=\bfx] does not work.

because \bfx is not a bodyfont but a style switch

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Misbehaving flow charts
@ 2013-01-19 10:52     ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-01-19 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–01–19 Hans Hagen wrote:

> >0) \setupFLOWcharts [bodyfont=\bfx] does not work.
>
> because \bfx is not a bodyfont but a style switch

You're right. I confused bodyfont with style, it works as expected.
But this makes me wonder why bodyfont is used instead of style?

Marco

* Misbehaving \starthanging\stophanging
@ 2013-01-19 11:06     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-01-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

\starthanging\stophanging is a very appreciated feature.

However, hanging text wrapped around a figure fails if a new paragraph intervenes.

Minimal example:

\starttext
\starthanging [location=right] {\externalfigure [cow] [width=.3\textwidth]}
This is a first paragraph.

\input tufte
\stophanging
\stoptext

Alan

* Re: Misbehaving flow charts
@ 2013-01-19 11:28       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-01-19 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.01.2013 um 11:52 schrieb Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com>:

> On 2013–01–19 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> 0) \setupFLOWcharts [bodyfont=\bfx] does not work.
>>
>> because \bfx is not a bodyfont but a style switch
>
> You're right. I confused bodyfont with style, it works as expected.
> But this makes me wonder why bodyfont is used instead of style?

I guess it has to do with the default values of the width and height
for the cells which are set in multiples of the bodyfont size. When
you now have a big chart you can decrease the font size and a bigger
chart fits on the same space because each cell is now smaller.

Wolfgang

* Re: Misbehaving flow charts
@ 2013-01-19 13:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-01-19 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> because \bfx is not a bodyfont but a style switch
>>
>> You're right. I confused bodyfont with style, it works as expected.
>> But this makes me wonder why bodyfont is used instead of style?
>
> I guess it has to do with the default values of the width and height
> for the cells which are set in multiples of the bodyfont size. When
> you now have a big chart you can decrease the font size and a bigger
> chart fits on the same space because each cell is now smaller.

indeed, there are a few mechanisms where an overall-sizing makes sense,
tables are another one

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Misbehaving \starthanging\stophanging
@ 2013-01-21 18:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-01-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/19/2013 12:06 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> \starthanging\stophanging is a very appreciated feature.
>
> However, hanging text wrapped around a figure fails if a new paragraph intervenes.
>
> Minimal example:
>
> \starttext
> \starthanging [location=right] {\externalfigure [cow] [width=.3\textwidth]}
> This is a first paragraph.
>
> \input tufte
> \stophanging
> \stoptext

currently somewhat limited as it's not like the regular place left
figure macro using the otr .. so the hang is forgotten after a par which
means that you need to use \break or \crlf or something nor \par:

\starttext
\starthanging [location=right] {\externalfigure [cow] [width=.3\textwidth]}
This is a first paragraph.\crlf \input tufte
\stophanging
\stoptext

(some day i'll make a nice one)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-01-21 19:09         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-01-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:48:09 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 1/19/2013 12:06 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > \starthanging\stophanging is a very appreciated feature.
> >
> > However, hanging text wrapped around a figure fails if a new
> > paragraph intervenes.
> >
> > Minimal example:
> >
> > \starttext
> > \starthanging [location=right] {\externalfigure [cow]
> > [width=.3\textwidth]} This is a first paragraph.
> >
> > \input tufte
> > \stophanging
> > \stoptext
>
> currently somewhat limited as it's not like the regular place left
> figure macro using the otr .. so the hang is forgotten after a par
> which means that you need to use \break or \crlf or something nor
> \par:
>
> \starttext
> \starthanging [location=right] {\externalfigure [cow]
> [width=.3\textwidth]} This is a first paragraph.\crlf \input tufte
> \stophanging
> \stoptext
>

> (some day i'll make a nice one)

Of course, I can use \crlf or \break.

By the way, I have encountered situations where the regular place
figure macro misbehaves as well.

Mimimal example:

\starttext
\startplacefigure [location=right,number=no]
\externalfigure [cow] [width=.3\textwidth]
\stopplacefigure
This is a first paragraph.
\startquotation
\input tufte