* Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-25 13:47 Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2013-01-25 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liste ConTeXt

Hi,

  I decided to give another try to ConTeXt.
  I already did two years ago, I think, but I had problems
mostly because of the lack of documentation for MkIV.
  Having a more or less strong knowledge and experience of
LaTeX doesn't help!!!

  This time:
  I did not succeed to install a stand alone version. I have
also TeX Live and I need it for LaTeX.
  I am using TeXworks (not the one from TeX Live).
  I use ConTeX from TeX Live 2012:
  This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.2-2012080612 (TeX Live
2012/W32TeX)
  ConTeXt  ver: 2012.05.30 11:26 MKIV  fmt: 2013.1.20  int:
english/english

  Following the discussions on ntg-context, there often is
solution using one of hte latest version of ConTeXt, so I
have a first question: is it possible to update the TeX Live
ConTeXt and its associated files?

  I also have questions about typography (hyphenation,
typographic rules,...) to have something according the
French rules, and others...

  Other questions in another message.

  Thanks for your help,

  Alain Delmotte

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-25 15:09 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-01-25 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–01–25 Alain Delmotte wrote:

>  I decided to give another try to ConTeXt.
>  I already did two years ago, I think, but I had problems mostly
> because of the lack of documentation for MkIV.

Welcome back!

>  I did not succeed to install a stand alone version.

It should be as easy as running first-setup followed by setting the
PATH. Explain exactly what you have tried and what failed, then we
can help.

> I have also TeX Live and I need it for LaTeX.

No problem. ConTeXt does not interfere with other TeX installations.

>  Following the discussions on ntg-context, there often is solution
> using one of hte latest version of ConTeXt, so I have a first
> question:

Correct.

> is it possible to update the TeX Live ConTeXt and its
> associated files?

I don't use TeX Live myself, so I cannot help you directly. But
there is a repository called “tlcontrib” with more recent packages.
My suggestion is to focus on getting the standalone version working.
You will receive the most recent bug fixes and it does not interfere
with your LaTeX.

Marco

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-25 16:14 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-01-25 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I decided to give another try to ConTeXt.
>  I already did two years ago, I think, but I had problems mostly because of
> the lack of documentation for MkIV.
>  Having a more or less strong knowledge and experience of LaTeX doesn't
> help!!!
>
>  This time:
>  I did not succeed to install a stand alone version.

Tell us more about the specific problems.

>  Following the discussions on ntg-context, there often is solution using one
> of hte latest version of ConTeXt, so I have a first question: is it possible
> to update the TeX Live ConTeXt and its associated files?

I would suggest you to do the following:
- Add tlcontrib to the list of repositories and update luatex and
ConTeXt from there (http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/usage.html).
- You can add the latest version of ConTeXt to texmf-local or
$TEXMFHOME (usually $HOME/texmf, but may be set to a different place)
or to some other place. You can clone a git repository
(https://gitorious.org/context) there for example (just make sure that
you don't use one extra directory).
- Apart from that you need to make sure that mtxrun will be taken from
the latest ConTeXt. There are different options to achieve that. (Add
$HOME/bin to PATH and put a symlink or copy of mtxrun there, or any
other option that comes to your mind.)

Mojca

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-25 19:11   ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2013-01-25 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 25/01/2013 17:14, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I decided to give another try to ConTeXt.
>>   I already did two years ago, I think, but I had problems mostly because of
>> the lack of documentation for MkIV.
>>   Having a more or less strong knowledge and experience of LaTeX doesn't
>> help!!!
>>
>>   This time:
>>   I did not succeed to install a stand alone version.
>
> Tell us more about the specific problems.

I did retry everything from the beginning and now it works.
One problem is that there is two "bin" folder and I was
first pointing to the wrong one; after that I didn't see the
context.exe and was trying to use mtxrun.
And of course I did add to the path.

So now it works from a standalone version. (up to date)

>>   Following the discussions on ntg-context, there often is solution using one
>> of hte latest version of ConTeXt, so I have a first question: is it possible
>> to update the TeX Live ConTeXt and its associated files?
>
> I would suggest you to do the following:
> - Add tlcontrib to the list of repositories and update luatex and
> ConTeXt from there (http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/usage.html).

I did try this before reinstalling the standalone; but it
was refused because there probably is a pointer to TeX Live
2010 and I have 2012.

> - You can add the latest version of ConTeXt to texmf-local or
> $TEXMFHOME (usually $HOME/texmf, but may be set to a different place)
> or to some other place. You can clone a git repository
> (https://gitorious.org/context) there for example (just make sure that
> you don't use one extra directory).
> - Apart from that you need to make sure that mtxrun will be taken from
> the latest ConTeXt. There are different options to achieve that. (Add
> $HOME/bin to PATH and put a symlink or copy of mtxrun there, or any
> other option that comes to your mind.)
>
> Mojca

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-25 22:48     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-01-25 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:

>> I would suggest you to do the following:
>> - Add tlcontrib to the list of repositories and update luatex and
>> ConTeXt from there (http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/usage.html).
>
> I did try this before reinstalling the standalone; but it was refused
> because there probably is a pointer to TeX Live 2010 and I have 2012.

Set the repository to
    http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2012
and make sure that you don't have ConTeXt distribution in PATH*** when
calling tlmgr.

Mojca

*** From purely theoretical point of view you may have it in path, but
after TeX Live binaries.

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-26 12:38       ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2013-01-26 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 25/01/2013 23:48, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:
>>
>>> I would suggest you to do the following:
>>> - Add tlcontrib to the list of repositories and update luatex and
>>> ConTeXt from there (http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/usage.html).
>>
>> I did try this before reinstalling the standalone; but it was refused
>> because there probably is a pointer to TeX Live 2010 and I have 2012.
>
> Set the repository to
>      http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2012
> and make sure that you don't have ConTeXt distribution in PATH*** when
> calling tlmgr.

Ok I did and it seemed to work, at least some files were
updated.

But when I compiled I got the same versions' information in
the log

But as I can use the standalone, I'll investigate later.

By the way, for the stand alone version under TeXworks, the
bin folder information should go before those of TeX Live to
avoid problems.

Regards,

Alain

> Mojca
>

> *** From purely theoretical point of view you may have it in path, but
> after TeX Live binaries.

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-27 23:39         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-01-27 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:

>> Set the repository to
>>      http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2012
>> and make sure that you don't have ConTeXt distribution in PATH*** when
>> calling tlmgr.
>
> Ok I did and it seemed to work, at least some files were updated.
>
> But when I compiled I got the same versions' information in the log

The same version of ConTeXt or the same version of LuaTeX?

What do you get with
    luatex --version
?

> By the way, for the stand alone version under TeXworks, the bin folder
> information should go before those of TeX Live to avoid problems.

In TeXworks one needs to be careful about paths in either case. (But
then again, there's the same issue with basically any GUI program that
runs TeX. PATH usually needs to be set up separately from the shell.)

Mojca

* Re: Coming back to ConTeXt
@ 2013-01-28 13:20           ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2013-01-28 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi !

Le 28/01/2013 00:39, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:
>>
>>> Set the repository to
>>>       http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2012
>>> and make sure that you don't have ConTeXt distribution in PATH*** when
>>> calling tlmgr.
>>
>> Ok I did and it seemed to work, at least some files were updated.
>>
>> But when I compiled I got the same versions' information in the log
>
> The same version of ConTeXt or the same version of LuaTeX?
>
> What do you get with
>      luatex --version

The same versions for both context and luatex:
context 28782 20120630
luatex 26690 0.72.2-20120806

When I did update from TeX Live, 6 files were updated, but I
did take note, unfortunately.

By the way, I have two context.exe in TeX Live in:
c:\texlive\2012\bin\win32
c:\texlive\2012\texmf-dist\scripts\context\stubs\mswin

Testing form the command line, they are the same as noted above.

The one in the standalone are:
LuaTeX, Version beta-0.75.0-2013012222 (rev 4565)
ConTeXt  ver: 2013.01.24 16:47 MKIV  fmt: 2013.1.25  int:
english/english

> ?
>
>> By the way, for the stand alone version under TeXworks, the bin folder
>> information should go before those of TeX Live to avoid problems.
>
> In TeXworks one needs to be careful about paths in either case. (But
> then again, there's the same issue with basically any GUI program that
> runs TeX. PATH usually needs to be set up separately from the shell.)

My paths are defined in Windows, but with TeXworks they also
appear in the definition window for the program.
I'll enquire to see if it is possible to suppress those.

Alain