* Emoticons ;-)
@ 2013-02-12  0:03 Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2013-02-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I hope this doesn't get me banned from the ConTeXt list. What is the easiest/best way to add emoticons in ConTeXt as letters/symbols?

In LaTeX, there is a package wasysym that gives \smiley and \frownie. It appears to be based at least partially on MetaFont code
by Taco from 1998?
I am aware that one can use images as characters as well, but I am looking for a cleaner solution.

Incidentally (and irrelevant for my current purposes), my dream/nightmare would be to have animated emoticons in a PDF file. Is that at all possible?

Thanks,

Matthias

* Re: Emoticons ;-)
@ 2013-02-12  0:05 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-02-12  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Matthias Weber wrote:

> I hope this doesn't get me banned from the ConTeXt list. What is the easiest/best way to add emoticons in ConTeXt as letters/symbols?

\type{:)}

Aditya

* Re: Emoticons ;-)
@ 2013-02-12  0:11   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2013-02-12  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks ---

what font are you using for that -- the faces I get this way are a little lopsided
(i.e. the eyes are not centered over the mouth).
And of course I was hoping for something prettier, but this is certainly easy!

Matthias

On Feb 11, 2013, at 7:05 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Matthias Weber wrote:
>
>> I hope this doesn't get me banned from the ConTeXt list. What is the easiest/best way to add emoticons in ConTeXt as letters/symbols?
>
> \type{:)}
>
> Aditya

* Re: Emoticons ;-)
@ 2013-02-12  8:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-02-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/12/2013 1:03 AM, Matthias Weber wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope this doesn't get me banned from the ConTeXt list. What is the easiest/best way to add emoticons in ConTeXt as letters/symbols?
>
> In LaTeX, there is a package wasysym that gives \smiley and \frownie. It appears to be based at least partially on MetaFont code
> by Taco from 1998?
> I am aware that one can use images as characters as well, but I am looking for a cleaner solution.
>
> Incidentally (and irrelevant for my current purposes), my dream/nightmare would be to have animated emoticons in a PDF file. Is that at all possible?

Something between a dream and nightmare :

\startuseMPgraphic{smile}
     draw image (
         path p ; p := (0,2) .. (2,2) .. (0,-2) ;
         draw p randomized .5 ;
         draw (0.5,1) ;
         draw (0.5,-1) ;
     ) xsized EmWidth ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\definesymbol[smile][\useMPgraphic{smile}]

\starttext

\startTEXpage[width=20em]

\dorecurse{100}{\dontleavehmode\symbol[smile] }

\stopTEXpage

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE