* Re: Justification
       [not found] <CAG4oGFRBnKWs=m=Xa72vc7983vhhEs-tvpiJFzC54813Q+iRug@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-12 14:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-02-12 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/12/2013 2:24 PM, Honza Hejzl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am sorry I am not using mailing list now.
>
> Please, is there any way to use "full-justify" in context? It is a very
> common typographic rule that if the last line of a paragraph is longer
> (and closer) to its end than is the first-line indent ot the same
> paragraph, it should be justified to the end of the line. In Scribus/InD
> and so on there is typically "full-justify" option in formatting the
> paragraph.
>
> Is there any way?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards, Honza Hejzl
>
> P. S.:
>
>      xxxx
> xxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx
> xxxxx>

\starttext

\setupalign[verytolerant,stretch] \parfillskip\zeropoint

\input tufte

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-18 15:52     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-04-18 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> See the attachment (testpage.pdf). There is a line sticking out in this
> way on 3 of 6 pages, plus a few minor protrusions of the width of about
> one character.

Hello,
seems to be a problem with non-ascii characters. See also:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20040109.203000.b863a98b.html

Could you try this?

\enableregime[il1]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% solution:
\usetypescript[modern][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[modern]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\starttext
\dorecurse{65}x übernimmt
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-18 12:48     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-04-18 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions - they worked. I
misinterpreted the term "strict", thinking it would apply to
justification. In the future, I'll try a little harder myself before
asking the next question!

On Apr 16, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 15.04.2005 um 22:12 schrieb Willi Egger:
>> This is nice, another swiss user!

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-16 10:50   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-04-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.04.2005 um 22:12 schrieb Willi Egger:
> This is nice, another swiss user!

Me too ;-)

> In fact if you use \setuptolerance[verystrict] will cause TeX to use
> as few glue as possible, so the possibilities to stretch a line to
> have a better breakpoint is lowered. Instead you might use
> \setuptolerance[tolerant, stretch] or even
> \setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch]

I'd suggest
\setuptolerance[{horizontal,verytolerant,stretch},{vertical,strict}]

German has that many long words that I never get nice columns without
"stretch".

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
(CH-8274 Tägerwilen TG)
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-15 21:35     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-15 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> Hyphenation is working. I attached one pdf-page showing the result to a

no attachment here

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-15 20:12 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-04-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guata obat!

This is nice, another swiss user! (sorry gang for this bit of patriotism)

In fact if you use \setuptolerance[verystrict] will cause TeX to use as
few glue as possible, so the possibilities to stretch a line to have a
better breakpoint is lowered. Instead you might use
\setuptolerance[tolerant, stretch] or even
\setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch]

Kind regards
Willi

Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> Dear list members,
> After months of trying to figure out what TeX, ConTeXt etc is and how to
> install everything needed I finally produced my first document. I was
> thrilled when I saw real pdf pages with footnotes and all!
>
> However, I noticed the following problem (no doubt the first of many to
> come): justification on the right is far from perfect - there are lines
> sticking out. After going through the manual, I decided that
> "\setuptolerance[horizontal,verystrict]" in the setup area should do the
> trick, but it didn't.  Any suggestions? (I set up ConTeXt on two Macs,
> once with teTeX and once with TeXLive, and on a Mac running
> Mandrakelinux and teTeX - the result was the same (same lines sticking
> out) on all of them).
>
> I am currently writing a textbook and I am looking forward to using
> ConTeXt.
>
> PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
> Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
> DKBW, University of Basel
> Mattenstrasse 28
> CH-4058 Basel
> Switzerland
> Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-15 14:31   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-04-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since the attachment showing one pdf-page doesn't seem to pass through,
let me describe the outcome:
On 6 pages with mostly default settings, there are 3 lines sticking out
on the right side by 2- 3 characters ("igt", "mt" and "ng"). In
addition, there are about 3 smaller defects (ca. 1 character
protrusions). I am using "il1", and "de" as mainlanguage.
Interestingly, on 2 pages the defects occur at exactly the same
distance from the upper edge.

On Apr 15, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Jörg Hagmann wrote:
>
>> However, I noticed the following problem (no doubt the first of many
>> to come): justification on the right is far from perfect - there are
>> lines sticking out. After going through the manual, I decided that
>> "\setuptolerance[horizontal,verystrict]" in the setup area should do
>> the trick, but it didn't.  Any suggestions? (I set up ConTeXt on two
>> Macs, once with teTeX and once with TeXLive, and on a Mac running
>> Mandrakelinux and teTeX - the result was the same (same lines
>> sticking out) on all of them).
>
> can you check if you have hyphenation? there have been pattern
> problems (changes in names and such)
>
> btw, doe anyone object if i ship generic context patterns in the main
> zip?
>
> Hans

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-15 10:20   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-04-15 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-15  9:32   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-04-15  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 15, 2005, at 9:35 AM, luigi.scarso wrote:

> Jörg Hagmann wrote:
>
>> However, I noticed the following problem (no doubt the first of many
>> to come): justification on the right is far from perfect - there are
>> lines sticking out. After going through the manual, I decided that
>> "\setuptolerance[horizontal,verystrict]" in the setup area should do
>> the trick, but it didn't.
>
> Can you give some examples ?

See the attachment (testpage.pdf). There is a line sticking out in this
way on 3 of 6 pages, plus a few minor protrusions of the width of about
one character.

[-- Attachment #2: testpage.pdf --]

@ 2005-04-15  9:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-15  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> However, I noticed the following problem (no doubt the first of many to
> come): justification on the right is far from perfect - there are lines
> sticking out. After going through the manual, I decided that
> "\setuptolerance[horizontal,verystrict]" in the setup area should do the
> trick, but it didn't.  Any suggestions? (I set up ConTeXt on two Macs,
> once with teTeX and once with TeXLive, and on a Mac running
> Mandrakelinux and teTeX - the result was the same (same lines sticking
> out) on all of them).

can you check if you have hyphenation? there have been pattern problems (changes
in names and such)

btw, doe anyone object if i ship generic context patterns in the main zip?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: justification
@ 2005-04-15  7:35 ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-04-15  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> However, I noticed the following problem (no doubt the first of many
> to come): justification on the right is far from perfect - there are
> lines sticking out. After going through the manual, I decided that
> "\setuptolerance[horizontal,verystrict]" in the setup area should do
> the trick, but it didn't.

Can you give some examples ?

>   Any suggestions? (I set up ConTeXt on two Macs, once with teTeX and
> once with TeXLive, and on a Mac running Mandrakelinux and teTeX

Brave heart.

> I am currently writing a textbook and I am looking forward to using
> ConTeXt.

Context IS the right choice.

luigi

* justification
@ 2005-04-15  6:54 Jörg Hagmann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-04-15  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found]   ` <000f01c268a5$3c033190$34a563d9@michal>
@ 2002-09-30 22:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-30 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:17 PM 9/30/2002 +0200, you wrote:

> > >xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxx
> > >xx yyyy xxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxx
> > >xxxx ccccc xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   <= overfull here
> > >xx yyyy xxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxx
> >
> > \hyphenatedurl{...}

hm, no url but aaaaa12345678

so, how about:

\def\hyphenationpoint
   {\ruledhskip\zeropoint}

\def\hyphenated#1%
   {\bgroup
    \!!counta\zerocount
    \def\hyphenated##1{\advance\!!counta\plusone}%
    \handletokens#1\with\hyphenated
    \!!countb\plusone
    \def\hyphenated##1%
      {##1%
       \advance\!!countb\plusone\relax
       \ifnum\!!countb>2 \ifnum\!!countb<\!!counta
         \hyphenationpoint
       \fi\fi}%
    \handletokens#1\with\hyphenated
    \egroup}