* Volunteers for testing a native rsync binary on Windows
@ 2013-02-15 14:42 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-02-15 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXters,

I've found a rsync binary on MinGW project page:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/Extension/rsync/rsync-3.0.8-1/

If there are any volunteers to test how the binary behaves when
replacing the one from
    http://distribution.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip
with the one from mingw, I will be grateful.

The idea is to fetch context-setup-mswin.zip, delete cygiconv-2.dll,
cygwin1.dll and rsync.exe, try to replace them with the binary from
MinGW and test if everything still runs smoothly after that. If it
does, I would prefer to use the binary from MinGW.

Mojca

* Re: Volunteers for testing a native rsync binary on Windows
@ 2013-02-15 20:30 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2013-02-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.02.2013 15:42, schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> Dear ConTeXters,
>
> I've found a rsync binary on MinGW project page:
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/Extension/rsync/rsync-3.0.8-1/
>
> If there are any volunteers to test how the binary behaves when
> replacing the one from
>     http://distribution.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip
> with the one from mingw, I will be grateful.
>
> The idea is to fetch context-setup-mswin.zip, delete cygiconv-2.dll,
> cygwin1.dll and rsync.exe, try to replace them with the binary from
> MinGW and test if everything still runs smoothly after that. If it
> does, I would prefer to use the binary from MinGW.
>
> Mojca

Hi Mojca,

I haven't noticed any obvious problems so far. But I must say, that I'm
not an experienced rsync user.
I tested a fresh installation (beta), a change to '--context=current'
(got suite version 0.53 instead of 0.60) and '--modules=all'. Looked ok
to me. Sorry, no time for deeper tests now.

The binary needs the following run time libs (all part of msys).

msys-1.0.dll        802.5 k
msys-iconv-2.dll      0.9 M
msys-intl-8.dll      47.0 k
msys-popt-0.dll       1.3 M

A first test didn't work, because the actual 'mtx-update.lua' still uses
the path prefix '/cygdrive/'. I simply replaced '/cygdrive/' with '/'. I
also had to restrict my writing rights to the modified version,
otherwise it was always overwritten by the suite version.

I stored a zip file on

https://www.wuala.com/indiego/public/ConTeXt/?key=caiCGLasLFmJ

, so that other Windows users can test it too. The hardest part is the
protection of the modified lua file (a normal write protection didn't
work here).

Best wishes,

Peter