From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: gnuplot module broken
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:36:44 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2/19/2013 1:37 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
>> Hi Mojca et al.
>>
>> todays beta broke the gnuplot module. This is probably due to the
>> changes in the MP inclusion mechanism.
>>
>> \usemodule [gnuplot]
>> \starttext
>> \stoptext
>
> Here's an almost minimal example:
>
> \def\abc{1cm}
>
> \startMPextensions
> a := \abc;
> color b;
> b := \MPcolor{currentcolor};
> \stopMPextensions
>
> \def\abc{3cm}
>
> \starttext
> \startcolor[blue]
> \startMPcode
> fill fullcircle scaled a withcolor b;
> \stopMPcode
> \stopcolor
> \stoptext
>
> The old ConTeXt draws a blue circle with diameter 3cm and the new
> ConTeXt draws a black circle with diameter 1cm. Which one is right?
>  From a recent message by Hans:
>
>> - add mp functionality (immediate expansion)
>
> It seems that ConTeXt now parses everything inside MPextensions
> earlier than it did before and I don't have the slightest idea how to
> account for this in the module without a major rewrite. In case that
> Hans wants to keep the new functionality, I either need [quite some]
> help with the module or I'll simply stick to TeX Live 2012 for the
> foreseeable future ;)

For the (not texlive) module use:

\defineMPinstance[gnuplot]
   [format=metafun,
    extensions=yes,
    initializations=yes,
    method=double]

\startMPdefinitions[gnuplot] ...

and then use the gnuplot instance. This not only isolates the code, but
also gives you floats. It also means that if someone crashes the gnuplot
instance, the rest still keeps running.

Definitions are per instance and are delayed i.e. passed via the tex end
when they get expanded.

The reason for extensions being immediate (at least for now) is that it
was more easy to implement as extensions meant for mp extensions and can
be for all instances of specific (sets) of instances.

Sorry for the changes but as we have multiple instances, scale vs double
and maybe more coming it's probably worth the trouble.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE