* math chars
@ 2010-11-01 13:27 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2010-11-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi,

I'm trying to access a few glyphs:

---
\usetypescript
    [cambria]
\setupbodyfont
    [cambria]

\starttext

    n-ary summation (base), U+02211: \char"02211

    n-ary summation (next), U+F0419: \char"F0419

    n-ary summation (next), U+F041A: \char"F041A

    cyrillic capital letter ka, U+0041A: \char"0041A

    set minus, U+02216: \char"02216

    mathematical script capital a, U+1D49C: \char"1D49C

    minus sign with falling dots, U+02A2B: \char"02A2B

\stoptext
---

but the summation substitutes as well as the script letter fail :-( Their numbers I took from:

---
\usemodule
    [fnt-25]

\usetypescript
    [cambria]
\setupbodyfont
    [cambria]

\starttext
   \showmathfontcharacters
\stoptext
---

I also tried

---
\starttext
    \showfont[cambria.ttc][all]
\stoptext
---

but apparently there are no summation glyphs in the table at all.

What am I missing?

Best,
Oliver

* Re: math chars
@ 2010-11-01 13:31 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-11-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/01/2010 02:27 PM, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

> What am I missing?

The text font Cambria is not the same font as Cambria Math,
and many of the math glyphs only exist in the latter font.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: math chars
@ 2010-11-01 13:56 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-11-01 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:27:28PM +0100, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to access a few glyphs:
>
> ---
> \usetypescript
>     [cambria]
> \setupbodyfont
>     [cambria]
>
> \starttext
>
>     n-ary summation (base), U+02211: \char"02211
>
>     n-ary summation (next), U+F0419: \char"F0419
>
>     n-ary summation (next), U+F041A: \char"F041A
>
>     cyrillic capital letter ka, U+0041A: \char"0041A
>
>     set minus, U+02216: \char"02216
>
>     mathematical script capital a, U+1D49C: \char"1D49C
>
>     minus sign with falling dots, U+02A2B: \char"02A2B
>
> \stoptext

The F0* codes are internal to context/luatex and are font specific (if
at some point you decided to use another font, or updated version of the
same font, you will be getting completely different glyphs if anything at
all).

You can use glyph names which are a bit more portable:

\setupbodyfont[cambria]

\starttext
\fontchar{summation}
\fontchar{summation.vsize1}
\fontchar{summation.vsize2}
\fontchar{summation.vsize3}
\fontchar{summation.vsize4}
\stoptext

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: math chars
@ 2010-11-01 14:02   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-11-01 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:31:26PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 11/01/2010 02:27 PM, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> >
> >What am I missing?
>
> The text font Cambria is not the same font as Cambria Math,
> and many of the math glyphs only exist in the latter font.

I thought so (and wrote that initially in my previous reply), but using
\fontchar I get the five sizes of summation symbol in text mode, no idea
how is that.

Regards,
 khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: math chars
@ 2010-11-01 14:02   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2010-11-01 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The F0* codes are internal to context/luatex and are font specific (if
> at some point you decided to use another font, or updated version of the
> same font, you will be getting completely different glyphs if anything at
> all).
>
> You can use glyph names which are a bit more portable:
>
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>
> \starttext
> \fontchar{summation}
> \fontchar{summation.vsize1}
> \fontchar{summation.vsize2}
> \fontchar{summation.vsize3}
> \fontchar{summation.vsize4}
> \stoptext

Many thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for...

Oliver