From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: "Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد" <ishamid@colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: new trickery
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:31:06 +0100	[thread overview]

On 3/15/2013 3:08 AM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> This is interesting, because I was thinking about this issue this past
> weak, and was planning to send a test file:
>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:39:50 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> There is a new experimental feature and (at least for now) it's also
>> called \feature (maybe not the best name).
>
> \stack might be better, for the following reason:

hm, one problem with such nice names is that they might be in use in
user definitions

>>  Many fonts have language dependent features. There are also features
>> that one only wants to enable in small text snippets. For this we have
>> \addff etc but these don't accumulate.
>
> We used to have \addfs{<feature>} and \subfs{<feature>}, meaning "add
> feature to the stack" and "subtract feature from the stack". But those
> have been broken for a very long time.

afaik they're not broken but they don't stack up, only the last one
counts (for a good technical reasons)

> To round it off I guess we need a replacement for \subfs as well.

that can be done by defining the proper 'reset' features (see demo
code), keep in mind that when feature switches are in macros one never
really knows what is 'current' so it's already quite fuzzy; of course we
can think of a negate option (i.e. use the negation of a feature set but
that can be dangerous as when features inherit one doesn't want to
disable kerning (for instance)

> Thanks for this wonderful new feature (pun intended) and

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE