* MKIV strange results in Adobe Reader
@ 2011-09-08  9:19 Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-09-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I recently made a SimpleSlides presentation with MKIV (2011.08.27
13:24). It looks ok on numerous PDF readers including Okular, Google
Docs, Sumatra PDF. Whenever I open it on Adobe Reader, the results are
rather puzzling:

1) The fifth page background is not black but grey, also some later
pages have grey background
2) The RGB and CMYK swatch colours are all messed up

The picture on page four has been intentionally corrupted with a hex
editor and then opened and saved again in Gimp to remove the errors in
the file.

You can view the source here: https://pi-xi.net/share/colorlecture.tex
and the finished PDF here: https://pi-xi.net/share/colorlecture.pdf

The only modifications I've made to the
simpleslides-s-BottomSquares.tex is replacing the background color,
contrast color and variant color with different values ([s=.0],
[r=.8,g=.2,b=.2], [s=.15]).

I would appreciate if someone could explain if there are bugs in my tex
sources, in MKIV or in the Adobe Reader – and in any case how can I fix
the erroneous output on Adobe Reader to match it on Sumatra, Google
Docs, etc.

Best regards,
Otso Helenius

* Re: MKIV strange results in Adobe Reader
@ 2011-09-08  9:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-08  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-9-2011 11:19, Otso Helenius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently made a SimpleSlides presentation with MKIV (2011.08.27
> 13:24). It looks ok on numerous PDF readers including Okular, Google
> Docs, Sumatra PDF. Whenever I open it on Adobe Reader, the results are
> rather puzzling:
>
> 1) The fifth page background is not black but grey, also some later
> pages have grey background
> 2) The RGB and CMYK swatch colours are all messed up
>
> The picture on page four has been intentionally corrupted with a hex
> editor and then opened and saved again in Gimp to remove the errors in
> the file.
>
> You can view the source here: https://pi-xi.net/share/colorlecture.tex
> and the finished PDF here: https://pi-xi.net/share/colorlecture.pdf
>
> The only modifications I've made to the simpleslides-s-BottomSquares.tex
> is replacing the background color, contrast color and variant color with
> different values ([s=.0], [r=.8,g=.2,b=.2], [s=.15]).
>
> I would appreciate if someone could explain if there are bugs in my tex
> sources, in MKIV or in the Adobe Reader – and in any case how can I fix
> the erroneous output on Adobe Reader to match it on Sumatra, Google
> Docs, etc.

Do you use transparencies? On pages where they are used, a different
color rendered seems to kick in (in acrobat).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-08 10:29   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-09-08 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.09.2011 11:31, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 8-9-2011 11:19, Otso Helenius wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently made a SimpleSlides presentation with MKIV (2011.08.27
>> 13:24). It looks ok on numerous PDF readers including Okular, Google
>> Docs, Sumatra PDF. Whenever I open it on Adobe Reader, the results are
>> rather puzzling:
>>
>> 1) The fifth page background is not black but grey, also some later
>> pages have grey background
>> 2) The RGB and CMYK swatch colours are all messed up
>>
>> The picture on page four has been intentionally corrupted with a hex
>> editor and then opened and saved again in Gimp to remove the errors in
>> the file.
>>
>> You can view the source here: https://pi-xi.net/share/colorlecture.tex
>> and the finished PDF here: https://pi-xi.net/share/colorlecture.pdf
>>
>> The only modifications I've made to the simpleslides-s-BottomSquares.tex
>> is replacing the background color, contrast color and variant color with
>> different values ([s=.0], [r=.8,g=.2,b=.2], [s=.15]).
>>
>> I would appreciate if someone could explain if there are bugs in my tex
>> sources, in MKIV or in the Adobe Reader – and in any case how can I fix
>> the erroneous output on Adobe Reader to match it on Sumatra, Google
>> Docs, etc.
>
> Do you use transparencies? On pages where they are used, a different
> color rendered seems to kick in (in acrobat).

You can try to add

\startluacode
function backends.codeinjections.rgbtransparencygroup()
    local d = lpdf.dictionary {
        S  = lpdf.constant("Transparency"),
        CS = lpdf.constant("DeviceRGB"),
        I  = true }
    lpdf.registerpagefinalizer(function()
lpdf.addtopageattributes("Group",d) end)
end
\stopluacode
\def\pngTransparencyHack{\ctxlua{backends.codeinjections.rgbtransparencygroup()}}

\pngTranparencyHack

This is what I use here for my RGB based graphics. Anyhow, as the name
of the macro says: it's not more than a (RGB only) hack.

Regards, Peter

* Re: MKIV strange results in Adobe Reader
@ 2011-09-11 14:48   ` Otso Helenius
From: Otso Helenius @ 2011-09-11 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I have now investigated the color errors in Adobe Reader further.
I produced a test PDF without simpleslides with MKIV (mtx-context |
current version: 2011.09.10 12:55).

Here is the source:

\language[fi]
\setupcolors[rgb]
\usemodule[metafun]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=black]
\startreusableMPgraphic{variympyrat}
vardef ColorCircle (expr method, factor, ca, cb, cc) =
save u, p ; path p ; p := fullcircle shifted (1/4,0);
image (fill p rotated 90 withcolor transparent(method,factor,ca); fill
p rotated 210 withcolor transparent(method,factor,cb); fill p rotated
330 withcolor transparent(method,factor,cc))
enddef;
draw ColorCircle ("normal", 1, cyan, magenta, yellow) xsized 6cm;
draw ColorCircle ("darken", .85, cyan, magenta, yellow) xsized 6cm;
currentpicture := currentpicture shifted (0,-6cm);
draw ColorCircle ("exclusion", 1, red, green, blue) xsized 6cm;
\stopreusableMPgraphic
\starttext
\startcolor[white]
\title{metafun}
\includeMPgraphic{variympyrat}
\title{svg}
\externalfigure[variympyrat.svg]
\title{png}
\externalfigure[variympyrat.png]
\stoptext

and here is the output:
https://pi-xi.net/share/context_reader_test.png
https://pi-xi.net/share/context_reader_test.pdf

You can also see the original files used in the test here:
https://pi-xi.net/share/variympyrat.png
https://pi-xi.net/share/variympyrat.svg

The gray background effect happens randomly even with only using svg
images straight from inkscape.
When using png images, I noticed it happens more often when there are
multiple layers in the png.
With metafun graphics, the image colors are messed up in addition to
the gray background.

I would like to know:

a) How to avoid it with metafun, png AND svg graphics?
b) What is the cause (Adobe reader bugs? Errors in my source? Erroneous
image files? ConTeXt bug?)

Best regards,
Otso Helenius