From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: man pages for ConTeXt: looking for volunteers
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:35:02 +0100	[thread overview]

On 3/21/2013 3:44 PM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> Mojca wrote:
>> Hans just implemented auto-conversion of help into man pages for the
>> lua scripts.
>
>> but if
>> there are any volunteers to help polishing out and provide either
>> more extensive descriptions, examples, ... or overall improvements,
>
> An excellent idea. To cut the work into bite-sized pieces: over the
> coming weeks, I will post these files on the list one by one and
> solicit specific improvements / check for befuddlement. First, though,
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. I assume the man pages are created from the XML files, and we
> should edit the XML files -- is this correct?

no, they are (since yesterday) generated from the scripts themselves:

mtxrun --script fonts --exporthelp=man|xml|html|all

> 2. Is the XML-to-man script included in the distribution? That would
> (a) make it easier to check the result of an edit, and (b) make it
> easier to find the answer to question 3 for myself. ;-)

they are in the scripts ... the helpinfo is a xml blob in the script and
that one is the base for help info ... so, any 'fixes' have to go in there

> 3. Is there a key to specify bold and italic in the XML? (\fB...\fP
> and \fI...\fP in the man page.) Or, if you want to keep it semantic:
> are <code> (\fB) and <emph> (\fI, or also \fB) supported?

no, we keep it simple ... all we can do is make the to-man converter
better if needed

> 4. I really really like the <subcategory> groupings of the flags in
> the XML files. This useful grouping doesn't show up in the man pages,
> however. Perhaps the end of a subcategory could correspond to

i must say that i have no clue what the man pages look like but
suggestions are welcome

>      .TP
>      ----
>
> in the man pages?

just tell me what to do

> 5. Lastly, I think it would be good to include a standard SEE ALSO
> block at the end of each man page, to list all the scripts we have man
> pages for. This will make it easier for users to discover the man
> pages. Example below. If such a block could be supported, I would be
> happy to write it.
>
> <seealsos>
>    <seealso name=mtx-grep>
>      <short></short>