* placefigure
@ 2013-03-21 16:26 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-03-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

while fixing some buglets that showed up in the test suite I ran into:

\starttext

test \placefigure[somewhere:alpha][whatever]{alpha}{}
test \placefigure[somewhere:beta] [whatever]{beta}{}
test \placefigure[somewhere:gamma][whatever]{gamma}{}
test \placefigure[somewhere:delta][whatever]{delta}{}
test \placefigure{}{}

in \in{figure}[whatever] bla bla

\placenamedfloat[figure][*l*]

\placenamedfloat[figure][gamma]
\placenamedfloat[figure][beta]

\stoptext

maybe worth wikifying (bug will be solved in beta)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: placefigure
@ 2013-03-21 22:04 ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-03-21 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 March 2013 17:26, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> while fixing some buglets that showed up in the test suite I ran into \placenamedfloat
> maybe worth wikifying (bug will be solved in beta)

Wikified:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/placenamedfloat

Below is what I wrote; is that correct?

Groetjes,
Sietse

== Description ==

If a float is placed (with \placefloat) location argument
somewhere:name, it is not placed immediately. Instead, it may be
manually placed elsewhere with \placenamedfloat.

== Example ==

This example declares four figures to be placed elsewhere: alpha,
beta, gamma, and delta. The first \placenamedfloat call places all
figures with l in their name (i.e. alpha and delta; the next two calls
place gamma and beta, respectively.

* Re: placefigure
@ 2013-03-21 22:08   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-03-21 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/21/2013 11:04 PM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> On 21 March 2013 17:26, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> while fixing some buglets that showed up in the test suite I ran into \placenamedfloat
>> maybe worth wikifying (bug will be solved in beta)
>
> Wikified:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/placenamedfloat
>
> Below is what I wrote; is that correct?

indeed, thanks,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-29  4:24                               ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-07-29  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tried your command but it doesn't work on my pc.

Maybe ghostscript isn't installed?  What was the exact error?  On my
system (i386 laptop with Ubuntu GNU/Linux):

$ gs -h
GPL Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17)

but most versions of ghostscript should work.

-Sanjoy

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
 far as society is free to use the results." --Richard Stallman

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-28 15:14                               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-07-28 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:19:45 +0200
"Liesbeth van der Plas" <liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo Sanjoy,
>
> I tried your command but it doens't work on my pc.
>
> Liesbeth

try "gswin32c -sDEVICE=bbox -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q file.eps"

Wolfgang

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-28  7:19                             ` Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-28  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/7/28, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk>:

> > you can load the eps graphic in ghostview, then hit the "i"-key.
> > but i agree, that this method is a pain in the ???, if you have many
> > graphics.
>
> The following command often finds the right bounding box:
>
> gs -sDEVICE=bbox -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q file.eps
>
> -Sanjoy
>
> "Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
> far as society is free to use the results." --Richard Stallman

liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com
www.wiskunde-interactief.nl

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-28  5:07                           ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-07-28  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-07-27 16:29               ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-07-27 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Here are the three most important files from yesterday's map.

I looked at the .eps file in emacs, and it has junk at the beginning
and the end.  My system (GNU/Linux) says:

  $ file testPlaatje.eps
  testPlaatje.eps: DOS EPS Binary File Postscript starts at byte 30
    length 4085 Metafile starts at byte 4115 length 2658

If I delete those bytes at the beginning and end, then epstopdf
produces a pdf with a tight bounding box (at least here).

Not sure what a 'Metafile' is, but maybe it's some MS-Windows-specific
stuff.  But it's not needed for the .eps to work.

@ 2007-07-27 14:46                         ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2007-07-27 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Illustrator. That certainly works -- you can save the pictures as
pdfs (it's Adobe, after all).

Liesbeth van der Plas wrote:
> [...]
> exist?
>

> Using MetaPost means that I must first learn the MP-programming
> language. I don't know if I have enough time for that. Or is there
> another way?
>

> Liesbeth
>

> 2007/7/26, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net <mailto:indiego@gmx.net>>:
>
>     Peter Rolf schrieb:
>     > Hi Liesbeth,
>     >
>     > There is a problem with the bounding box (bb) of the eps file.
>     Although
>     > gs shows it correctly (Info), it uses the media size (default A4) as
>     > border for the pdf.
>     >
>     > You can change the media size by hand (set it to bb), but it's less
>     > error prone to use "extract..." or "ps to eps" from the file menu.
>     >
>     sorry, this doesn't work. it seems, that i have made my tests with an
>     already modified (media size) eps graphic. so the only working way i
>     found, is to edit the media size.
>
>     menu "media"-->"user defined..."
>     set the values to the ones from the bounding box (hit "I" after
>     you have
>     loaded the gfx).
>
>     for your example:
>     BoundingBox 0 0 244 243
>     set the first value to 244pt, the second one to 243pt.
>     now the conversion should work (retested!) :)
>

>     <DEL>
>     > 1. open the eps file with gs
>     > 2. use "ps to eps" ( [x] automatically calculate ...] is set
>     here) and
>     > save in a different file
>     > 3. convert this new file to pdf. The resulting pdf should have the
>     > correct size.
>     >
>     <DEL/>
>
>     > Sorry, found no way to automatize it (I can't beleave this is
>     not possible).
>     >
>     > HTH, Peter
>     >
>     > BTW: why don't you use MetaPost?
>     >
>     >
>     > Liesbeth van der Plas schrieb:
>     >> I use Windows XP.
>     >>
>     >> 2007/7/26, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch
>     <mailto:patrick@gundla.ch> <mailto: patrick@gundla.ch
>     <mailto:patrick@gundla.ch>>>:
>     >>
>     >>     Hello Liesbeth,
>     >>
>     >>     > Yesterday I sent a few files, but I got a return that the
>     message
>     >>     body was
>     >>     > too big.
>     >>     > Here are the three most important files from yesterday's map.
>     >>
>     >>     epstopdf breaks with this file. If, by chance, you use Mac
>     OS X, you
>     >>     can use 'pstopdf' (the distiller from adobe). Then the pdf

Prof.Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
Centre of Biomedicine, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-27 13:54                         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-07-27 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Liesbeth van der Plas schrieb:
> Hello Patrick, Peter,..
>

> The 3-step method doesn't work? I tried it over and over again.

yes, sorry about that. only changing the media size works.

> Changing the media size by hand does work if I guess the size of the
> picture (I don't have an option bb or bounding box). I think I can work
> with this method for the time being.

you don't need to guess.

you can load the eps graphic in ghostview, then hit the "i"-key.
a window is opening, showing you the size of the bounding box.
the first two values (0 0) show the coordinates of the lower left
corner, the next two (244 243) the coordinates of the upper right corner
of the bb. so this gfx is 244pt width and 242pt height (or at least it's
bb).

but i agree, that this method is a pain in the ???, if you have many
graphics.

peter

@ 2007-07-27 13:38                       ` Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-27 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-07-26 17:49                     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-07-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-07-26 17:27               ` olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2007-07-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:36:53 +0200, Liesbeth van der Plas a écrit :

> Hallo Patrick,
>
> Yesterday I sent a few files, but I got a return that the message body was
> too big.
> Here are the three most important files from yesterday's map.
>
> Liesbeth
>

> 2007/7/25, Liesbeth van der Plas <liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hallo Patrick,
>>
>> Here the map with alle files; .tex, .eps, .pdf, ...
>>
>> Liesbeth
>>

>> 2007/7/25, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:
>> >
>> > Hello Liesbeth,
>> >
>> > do you have a small sample eps file which gives you a problem? That
>> > way we might be able to help you better.
>> >
>> > Patrick

>> > ___________________________________________________________________________________
>> >

>> --
>> liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com
>> www.wiskunde-interactief.nl

Hi Liesbeth,
If you cannot convert correctly your image, I can try to 'pstopdf' it.
Send it directly to my mail address if it's under 9.5 M, an if bigger,
winrar can cut it into smaller chunks.
Maybe it'll solve your pb.

--
Olivier TURLIER
CRP La Rouguière

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-26 17:08                   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-07-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-07-26 15:12                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> I use Windows XP.

Sorry Liesbeth, I am out of my wits then, perhaps there is somebody
out here with some tricks. Perhaps you can use some special printer
driver that is able to create different kind of eps or pdf and then
use 'print to file' to create the pdf. Does ghostscript offer such
a thing? I have no idea.

Patrick

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-26 13:49                 ` Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-07-26 12:36               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-26 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Liesbeth,

> Yesterday I sent a few files, but I got a return that the message body was
> too big.
> Here are the three most important files from yesterday's map.

epstopdf breaks with this file. If, by chance, you use Mac OS X, you
can use 'pstopdf' (the distiller from adobe). Then the pdf files have
a tight bounding box.

Patrick

* Re: placefigure
       [not found]           ` <abcaff8f0707251140p5d4ed733ia3baeac36a8e6d9d@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-07-26  6:36             ` Liesbeth van der Plas
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-26  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Patrick,

Yesterday I sent a few files, but I got a return that the message body was
too big.
Here are the three most important files from yesterday's map.

Liesbeth

2007/7/25, Liesbeth van der Plas <liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com>:

> Hallo Patrick,
>
> Here the map with alle files; .tex, .eps, .pdf, ...
>
> Liesbeth
>

> 2007/7/25, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:
> >
> > Hello Liesbeth,
> >
> > do you have a small sample eps file which gives you a problem? That
> > way we might be able to help you better.
> >
> > Patrick

> > ___________________________________________________________________________________
> >

> --
> liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com
> www.wiskunde-interactief.nl

--
liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com
www.wiskunde-interactief.nl

[-- Attachment #2: placefugure problem.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 4761 bytes --]

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-25 14:34         ` Patrick Gundlach
       [not found]           ` <abcaff8f0707251140p5d4ed733ia3baeac36a8e6d9d@mail.gmail.com>
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-25 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2007-07-25  8:43       ` Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-25  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In GhostScript: Options àEPS Clip

                         File à Convert à pdfwrite, Variable Page

                         File à Convert à pdfwrite, Fixed Page Size

                         File à Convert à pdfwrite, Shrink to fit Page Size

I do get the picture now, but it is inbedded in a (small) 'page'; the frame
is too big.

Liesbeth

@ 2007-07-24 14:03     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-07-24 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-07-24 13:06   ` Roelof Langman
From: Roelof Langman @ 2007-07-24 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a simple case of rtfm. From chapter 7 of the pdftex manual:

"pdfTEX supports inclusion of pictures in png, jpeg, tiff and pdf format.
The most common technique
-the inclusion of eps figures- is replaced by pdf inclusion. eps files can
be converted to pdf by
GhostScript, Acrobat Distiller or other PostScript--to--pdf convertors."

Cheers Roelof

---%><--------------
Roelof Langman
Kerkstraat 184
1017 GT  Amsterdam
M 0622413491

>> The photograph loads all right, the cat-drawing doensn't show up.

>> \useexternalfigure[jpgPhotoBig][photo][type=jpg,width=4cm]
>> \useexternalfigure[epsDrawingCat][cat][type=eps,width=4cm]
>>

> maybe eps to pdf  epsDrawingCat ?
> luigi

* Re: placefigure
@ 2007-07-24 12:45   ` Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-24 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't succeed in using the program epstopdf for my drawing. Probably it is
also not very handy to alter a lot of drawings bij hand first? Or
maybe there is a way to make MetaPost drawings without learning the MetaPost
language?
I have a lot of drawings made in Macromedia(=Adobe) Flash (or FreeHand).
These programs have no export option to pdf or MetaPost.

following the instructions of

@ 2007-07-24 10:09 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-24 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2007-07-24  9:51 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-07-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/24/07, Liesbeth van der Plas <liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo context users,
>

> I have a basic problem on laoding vector drawings.
>
> The photograph loads all right, the cat-drawing doensn't show up.

> \useexternalfigure[jpgPhotoSmall][photo][type=jpg,width=2cm]
> \useexternalfigure[jpgPhotoBig][photo][type=jpg,width=4cm]
> \useexternalfigure[epsDrawingCat][cat][type=eps,width=4cm]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placefigure{A cat drawing
> (eps)}{\externalfigure[epsDrawingCat]}
> \placefigure{A small photo
> (jpg)}{\externalfigure[jpgPhotoSmall]}
>
> \placefigure{A big photo (jpg) }{\externalfigure[jpgPhotoBig]}
>
> \stoptext

* placefigure
@ 2007-07-24  9:22 Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-07-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo context users,

@ 2006-07-21  9:28   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-07-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 21, 2006, at 9:35, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>> Is this known behaviour?
>
>> Can it perhaps be massaged with parameter settings or is ConText here
>> taking just somewhat oversized vertical space?
>

> You can try to do \setupfloats[after=] to remove the whitespace
> below the image.

No, that did not work. But thanks to pointing out \setupfloats I
found I can change things with [spaceafter=small,spacebefore=small]
and that worked for the finetuning.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: placefigure
@ 2006-07-21  7:35 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-07-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Is this known behaviour?

> Can it perhaps be massaged with parameter settings or is ConText here
> taking just somewhat oversized vertical space?

You can try to do \setupfloats[after=] to remove the whitespace
below the image.

Taco

* placefigure
@ 2006-07-20 15:33 Hans van der Meer