* prezi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 12:04 Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-04-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at prezi
(http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't appeal to
me, but I find the general idea very nice: a presentation is sort of a
big poster, with some background graphics. You define areas on this
poster into which your content goes (so these would be the "slides" in a
conventional presentation). When you show your presentation, your viewer
will zoom in on these areas and present them full screen, and it will
move along a predefined path, thus showing the areas (slides) in a
certain order. The nice thing is that you can, at any moment, zoom out
and show the entire poster, thus giving an overview of your presentation
in which only the bigger elements (headlines etc.) will be readable. Now
I was wondering if the same couldn't be done with ConTeXt, pdf and
javascript: producing a big pdf with a background image would be fairly
easy (metapost's vector graphics would look good at any zoom level).
Placing slides with content there could be done via layers. Zooming in
and showing certain areas is doable (but obviously would depend on the
pdf viewer, especially for the full screen mode). I have no idea if we
have support for rotating areas in a pdf viewer. Would javascript be
capable of automating this, i.e. defining areas in a pdf, displaying
them at a certain zoom level, and move from one area to the next? I
think this would be a nice alternative to traditional slide shows.

Thomas

* Re: sozi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 14:14 ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2013-04-09 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 09 avril 2013, Thomas A. Schmitz a écrit :
> this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at prezi
> (http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't appeal to
(...)

I just wanted to mention a free (GPL) alternative to prezi : sozi
(http://sozi.baierouge.fr/wiki/doku.php). It works with as inkscape plugin.

All the best

--
Romain Diss
<romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

* Re: prezi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 14:16 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-09 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 14:04:44 +0200
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at prezi
> (http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't appeal to
> me, but I find the general idea very nice: a presentation is sort of a
> big poster, with some background graphics. You define areas on this
> poster into which your content goes (so these would be the "slides" in a
> conventional presentation). When you show your presentation, your viewer
> will zoom in on these areas and present them full screen, and it will
> move along a predefined path, thus showing the areas (slides) in a
> certain order. The nice thing is that you can, at any moment, zoom out
> and show the entire poster, thus giving an overview of your presentation
> in which only the bigger elements (headlines etc.) will be readable. Now
> I was wondering if the same couldn't be done with ConTeXt, pdf and
> javascript: producing a big pdf with a background image would be fairly
> easy (metapost's vector graphics would look good at any zoom level).
> Placing slides with content there could be done via layers. Zooming in
> and showing certain areas is doable (but obviously would depend on the
> pdf viewer, especially for the full screen mode). I have no idea if we
> have support for rotating areas in a pdf viewer. Would javascript be
> capable of automating this, i.e. defining areas in a pdf, displaying
> them at a certain zoom level, and move from one area to the next? I
> think this would be a nice alternative to traditional slide shows.
>
> Thomas

Very fashionable, phluffy, breaks the ice at parties...

I sat through a prezi presentation recently. The speaker took us on a
long trip. It was "cool"! But in the end, there was not much to retain,
and I thought: "where's the beef?".

As to the constant zooming in and out, I kept wondering what the little
specks represented (that I knew we would soon be visiting). Sort of like
the old transparency technique of hiding parts with paper flaps. Lots of
suspense! :)

Remember, viewed from afar, all organisms look just like flies.

For further discussion, I suggest:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_pp

Alan

* Re: sozi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 14:22   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-04-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Romain Diss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mardi 09 avril 2013, Thomas A. Schmitz a écrit :
>> this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at prezi
>> (http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't appeal to
> (...)
>
> I just wanted to mention a free (GPL) alternative to prezi : sozi
> (http://sozi.baierouge.fr/wiki/doku.php). It works with as inkscape plugin.

And the main presentation uses Iwona. ;)

Mojca

* Re: prezi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 14:24   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-04-09 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

not very related, but still  doable in ConTeXt
Designing conference posters
http://colinpurrington.com/tips/academic/posterdesign

--
luigi

* Re: prezi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 18:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-09 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi all,
>
> this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at prezi
> (http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't appeal to
> me, but I find the general idea very nice: a presentation is sort of a
> big poster, with some background graphics. You define areas on this
> poster into which your content goes (so these would be the "slides" in a
> conventional presentation). When you show your presentation, your viewer
> will zoom in on these areas and present them full screen, and it will
> move along a predefined path, thus showing the areas (slides) in a
> certain order. The nice thing is that you can, at any moment, zoom out
> and show the entire poster, thus giving an overview of your presentation
> in which only the bigger elements (headlines etc.) will be readable. Now
> I was wondering if the same couldn't be done with ConTeXt, pdf and
> javascript: producing a big pdf with a background image would be fairly
> easy (metapost's vector graphics would look good at any zoom level).
> Placing slides with content there could be done via layers. Zooming in
> and showing certain areas is doable (but obviously would depend on the
> pdf viewer, especially for the full screen mode). I have no idea if we
> have support for rotating areas in a pdf viewer. Would javascript be
> capable of automating this, i.e. defining areas in a pdf, displaying
> them at a certain zoom level, and move from one area to the next? I
> think this would be a nice alternative to traditional slide shows.

I did something zooming a decade ago. If I remember right at a Dante
meeting first. It was the time that I got questions from the audience
why I was concerned about mathml and math in context as latex and
backslashes were all one needs.

Page 2 etc: click on small 'rectangles' will zoom in, while clocking at
the edge will zoom out.

So, I wondered if the tex file still processes in mkiv but given that I
used some low level mkii hook I had to change a few lines. Anyway, a
good reason to mkiv the s-pre-17 style (one can just run the file to get
an example).

In the new beta.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: pre-mml.pdf --]

* Re: sozi presentations
@ 2013-04-09 20:09   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-04-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2013-04-09, o godz. 16:14:43
Romain Diss <romain.diss@yahoo.fr> napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> Le mardi 09 avril 2013, Thomas A. Schmitz a écrit :
> > this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at
> > prezi (http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't
> > appeal to
> (...)
>
> I just wanted to mention a free (GPL) alternative to prezi : sozi
> (http://sozi.baierouge.fr/wiki/doku.php). It works with as inkscape
> plugin.

For the sake of completeness: there's also impress.js
(http://bartaz.github.io/impress.js/#/bored).

> All the best

Best,

--