From: "\"H. Özoguz\"" <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:56:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 10.04.2013 11:27, schrieb ntg-context-request@ntg.nl:
> This is no problem because they have different names, you can try the following example:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Garamond]
> %\setmainfont[Adobe Garamond Pro]
> %\setmainfont[AGaramondPro]
> %\setmainfont[EBGaramond]
> %\setmainfont[Stempel Garamond]
>
> \starttext
> Regular, \it Italic, \bf Bold and \bi Bolditalic.
> \stoptext
With

\setmainfont[AGaramondPro]

it works! The first and second does not work.

>> >Another interesting question: I compared the results using the Simplefont solution and your Typescript solution, both with hanging. Both works, but it is not the same output. It seems, that with Simplefont it is "nicer", in the following sence: The distance between a capital of a beginning word to the next letter it better typed, f.e. in "Hans Meier" the distance of "H" to "ans" could be too much in the typescript example, but is perfect with Simplefont.
>> >
>> >Where does this difference in typography between Typescript and Simplefont comes from?
> Maybe a kerning issue, you can add \showfontkerns at the begin of your document to visualize the kerning.
>
> Wolfgang

\showfontkerns works with Simplefont, but not with Typescript. More
precisely:

This shows kerning:
+++++++++++++
\showfontkerns

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[AGaramondPro][boldfont=AGaramondPro-Bold,

italicfont=AGaramondPro-Italic, bolditalicfont=AGaramondPro-BoldItalic,

protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]

\setupalign[hz, hanging]

\starttext

\input tufte

\stoptext

++++++++++++++

But this one not:

+++++++++++++

\showfontkerns

\starttypescript [serif] [nimbus]

\definefontsynonym [Serif] [file:AGaramondPro-Regular.otf]

\definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [file:AGaramondPro-Bold.otf]

\definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-Italic.otf]

\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf]

\stoptypescript

\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

\definetypeface [nimbus] [rm] [serif] [nimbus] [default] [features=default]

\setupbodyfont[nimbus,rm,12pt]

\setupalign[hz,hanging]

\starttext

\input tufte

\stoptext

Where the mistake?

And independent from that: That the kerning is different, is for sure
(by visual inspection). How can the showing in numbers (showkerning)
help to understand the reason for this difference? (Just interested to
learn more about ConTeXt, of course I am not able to fix anything or
understand it by myself).

Huseyin