* How to find the source code/documentation for a specific command
@ 2013-04-16 16:07 contact
From: contact @ 2013-04-16 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello ConTeXt list,

I am a new user of ConTeXt and I am trying to write my very first
document with this program.
However, it is often difficult to find explanation about commands and
their options.
Most of the documentation and examples seems outdated or incomplete...
I know that you are
currently writing a new version of the manuals and that it is a time
consuming task so
before I plague you with questions I may have, I would like to know how
to find the source
code of a command (which may include embedded documentation).

For example how can I find the source file for the \setupinteraction
command? (I am using ConTeXt
on Windows.). If I can find more information by myself I will not have
to take too much of your
time.

Regards,

Thomas Corbière

* Re: How to find the source code/documentation for a specific command
@ 2013-04-16 16:25 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-16 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/16/2013 6:07 PM, contact@thomas-corbiere.name wrote:
> Hello ConTeXt list,
>
> I am a new user of ConTeXt and I am trying to write my very first
> document with this program.
> However, it is often difficult to find explanation about commands and
> their options.
> Most of the documentation and examples seems outdated or incomplete... I
> know that you are
> currently writing a new version of the manuals and that it is a time
> consuming task so
> before I plague you with questions I may have, I would like to know how
> to find the source
> code of a command (which may include embedded documentation).
>
> For example how can I find the source file for the \setupinteraction
> command? (I am using ConTeXt
> on Windows.). If I can find more information by myself I will not have
> to take too much of your
> time.

interaction is mostly dealt with in scrn-* files and strc-ref

don't get too confused by dates of manuals, many commands are still the
same (maybe extended) like for instance interaction related commands

anyhow, there is a zip with test files on the webbsite that has lots of
(test) examples, somewhat organized that you can run as test

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-04-16 20:34   ` contact
From: contact @ 2013-04-16 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I searched for the files you reffered to and found them in the path

“context\tex\texmf-context\tex\context”. Can I assume most (all?)

commands are defined here?

From what you said, do you mean that the code for a single command

may be split into multiple files?

I found the test files. What a great collection of examples! This sure will help.

Regards,

Thomas Corbière

@ 2013-04-17 13:19     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/16/2013 10:34 PM, contact@thomas-corbiere.name wrote:
> Hi Hans,
> I searched for the files you reffered to and found them in the path
> “context\tex\texmf-context\tex\context”. Can I assume most (all?)
> commands are defined here?

indeed, all the core commands are defined in:

   tex/context/base

>  From what you said, do you mean that the code for a single command
> may be split into multiple files?

normally it's done in one file, unless we're dealing with a combination
of functionality

> I found the test files. What a great collection of examples! This sure
> will help.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE