From: Lars Huttar <lars_huttar@sil.org>
Subject: error: terminal: >> NOfTextColumns-1, ! Improper final value has been replaced by 0
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:30:14 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello,

I'm encountering the following error, under ConTeXt  ver: 2012.05.30
11:26 MKIV  fmt: 2013.3.11  int: english/english:

system > tex > error on line 27 in file
data/three-volume-book-book-1.tex: terminal: >> NOfTextColumns-1
! Improper final value has been replaced by 0.
<to be read again>
                   :
<*> for i=1 upto NOfTextColumns-1:
                                    draw (rightboundary TextColumns[i])
shif...

17 \safeinput ./data/statistics-for-area-area-africa.tex
18 \safeinput ./data/statistics-for-area-area-europe.tex
19
20
21
22 \input ./macros/E16pagenohead.tex
23 \ifodd \pageno \else \noheaderandfooterlines \null \page[yes]\fi
\noheade
randfooterlines
24
25 \startptp{
26 \pagereference[Languages]\pnum{Part II}\ptitle{Language Listings}
27 >> }\stopptp

This error is very odd because:

a) The only place I can find code mentioning "NOfTextColumns-1" is in
mp-core.mpii, where it's commented out!
  % \startuseMPgraphic{whatever}
  %     for i=1 upto NOfTextColumns-1 :
  %         draw (rightboundary TextColumns[i]) shifted ...

But maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places.

b) The place in my .tex document where the error occurs, line 27, is at
a \stopptp. Yet there is an essentially identical start/stopptp earlier
in the document, where no such error is thrown:

  \startptp{
  \pagereference[Summaries]\pnum{Part I}\ptitle{Statistical Summaries}
  }\stopptp

So I guess there's some content in between the two starts/stop ptp's
that's laying the stage for the error to occur.
I'll be working on a minimal example, but that's time-consuming; and I
thought in the meantime, there may be some clues in the above
information that could help clarify the nature of the problem, to
someone who understands the inner workings of ConTeXt.

Thanks for any help,
Lars