* how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  7:38 Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

this is probably a question with very simple solution, but I cannot
figure it out or find a solution in wiki or manual.
I just want to print simple booklet and after and after picking papers
from printer do a single fold.
With the following code the TITLE PAGE is correctly placed to the right
of first sheet but all pages have backspace and page number on the right
edge. Is that correct behaviour or I'm missing some basic fact?

\setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
\setuparranging[2UP]

\setuplayout[
     width=8cm,height=middle,
     backspace=10mm,topspace=10mm,
     footer=8mm,header=0mm,
     alternative=doublesided]

\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,left},alternative=doublesided]

\showframe

\starttext

TITLE PAGE
\page[yes]

\dorecurse{15}{\input knuth}

\stoptext

Thanks
Jan

* Re: how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  7:46 ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-13  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe I have not described my doubts clearly enough.
I see that on all arranged pages the backspace and page numbers
(specified as footer,left) are in the middle of A4 page, I would expect
them on outer edges...

@ 2013-06-13  7:51   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-06-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/13/2013 09:46 AM, Jan Pohanka wrote:
> Maybe I have not described my doubts clearly enough.
> I see that on all arranged pages the backspace and page numbers
> (specified as footer,left) are in the middle of A4 page, I would expect
> them on outer edges...

Works here. Did you forget to compile with the --arrange flag?

Thomas

* Re: how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  7:57     ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-13  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dne 13.6.2013 09:51, Thomas A. Schmitz napsal(a):
> On 06/13/2013 09:46 AM, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>> Maybe I have not described my doubts clearly enough.
>> I see that on all arranged pages the backspace and page numbers
>> (specified as footer,left) are in the middle of A4 page, I would expect
>> them on outer edges...
>
> Works here. Did you forget to compile with the --arrange flag?

Hi,
--arrange flag has no impact on the output.
Please check the outputfile in attachment. Maybe it is just my
misunderstanding but I think that page number should be placed on the
left side of page 2, on the right side of page 3, etc.

thanks
Jan

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  8:03       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-06-13  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 13 2013, Jan Pohanka wrote:

> Maybe it is just my misunderstanding but I think that page number
> should be placed on the left side of page 2, on the right side of page
> 3, etc.

Did you try:
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,right},alternative=doublesided] ?

--
           Peter

* Re: how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  8:25         ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-13  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dne 13.6.2013 10:03, Peter Münster napsal(a):
> On Thu, Jun 13 2013, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is just my misunderstanding but I think that page number
>> should be placed on the left side of page 2, on the right side of page
>> 3, etc.
> Did you try:
> \setuppagenumbering[location={footer,right},alternative=doublesided] ?

Yes :) It helps with page number position, and everything is ok when
using \setuplayout[width=middle]. But when one use narrower width then
the backspace is on the opposite side.
I always thought that backspace is on the left side of single page, or
on the outer sides when the sheets are in a book.

@ 2013-06-13  9:37           ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dne 13.6.2013 10:25, Jan Pohanka napsal(a):
> Dne 13.6.2013 10:03, Peter Münster napsal(a):
>> On Thu, Jun 13 2013, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it is just my misunderstanding but I think that page number
>>> should be placed on the left side of page 2, on the right side of page
>>> 3, etc.
>> Did you try:
>> \setuppagenumbering[location={footer,right},alternative=doublesided] ?
>>
> Yes :) It helps with page number position, and everything is ok when
> using \setuplayout[width=middle]. But when one use narrower width then
> the backspace is on the opposite side.
> I always thought that backspace is on the left side of single page, or
> on the outer sides when the sheets are in a book.
>
> thanks
> Jan
So is the problem caused just by my total misunderstanding of page layout?

* Re: how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  9:50             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-06-13  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 13 2013, Jan Pohanka wrote:

>> I always thought that backspace is on the left side of single page, or on
>> the outer sides when the sheets are in a book.
>>
> So is the problem caused just by my total misunderstanding of page layout?

Probably. Backspace is for the back of the book, i.e. the inner sides.

--
           Peter

* Re: how to print a simple booklet
@ 2013-06-13  9:54               ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2013-06-13  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dne 13.6.2013 11:50, Peter Münster napsal(a):
> On Thu, Jun 13 2013, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>
>>> I always thought that backspace is on the left side of single page, or on
>>> the outer sides when the sheets are in a book.
>>>
>> So is the problem caused just by my total misunderstanding of page layout?
> Probably. Backspace is for the back of the book, i.e. the inner sides.

Now I see, thank you for this confirmation. So eg. the
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,left} means that the numbers would
be on the left side on the right pages of a book. So I was dumb and
ConTeXt behaves correctly.