* Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-12  9:28 Rudolf Bahr
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rudolf Bahr @ 2013-06-12  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list members,

an only-a-few-days-fan of Context writes to you for the first time. I'm pleased
to have found a program closer to TeX and younger than LaTeX. In the last years
I used LaTeX for a bigger family project with good success, but experienced some
difficulties in arranging minipages containing changing text and pictures
especially in series letters.
So I'm trying to do that using Context. Of course I cannot change hundreds of
files from LaTeX to Context, but newer tasks I'd like to do in Context.

There is a first question I have concerning Fraktur fonts which I'd like to use
typesetting a poem:

I found a 2-mail-discussion in your 2002-archiv concerning those fonts. But I
have to admit that I don't understand what is written there. So, I tried simply

\definefont[Gedichtfont][Fraktur]
\Gedichtfont{... poem ...}

both with "context" and "texexec", but I don't achieve the desired result.
"texexec" displays a font somehow similar to Fraktur, but not a very nice one and
much to broad; and it seems to have no different "s" (one inner-word and one word-end
or syllable-end "s") as needed in Fraktur. And, my "texexec" doesn't know anything
about umlauts and sharp s.
Whereas my "context" (translating the same program), dosn't know Fraktur, but knows
umlauts.
So I'm always using both of them, enjoying the partial success of both, though
I read somewhere, it should be better using "texexec".

Well, a very nice Fraktur font is Yannis Haralambous' "yfrak" in his "yfont"
series, the nicest one I've found until now.

Could you please help me to formulate the correct commands to use a "nice" Fraktur
font, be it "yfrak" or another one? But please remember, Context is still rather
confusing to me. So, it should be simple enough.

Best regards,
Ruhmwolf

* Re: Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-13  7:19 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-13  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Rudolf Bahr <quasi@quasi.de> wrote:

> Hello list members,
>
> an only-a-few-days-fan of Context writes to you for the first time. I'm
> pleased
> to have found a program closer to TeX and younger than LaTeX. In the last
> years
> I used LaTeX for a bigger family project with good success, but
> experienced some
> difficulties in arranging minipages containing changing text and pictures
> especially in series letters.
> So I'm trying to do that using Context. Of course I cannot change hundreds
> of
> files from LaTeX to Context, but newer tasks I'd like to do in Context.
>
> There is a first question I have concerning Fraktur fonts which I'd like
> to use
> typesetting a poem:
>
> I found a 2-mail-discussion in your 2002-archiv concerning those fonts.
> But I
> have to admit that I don't understand what is written there. So, I tried
> simply
>
> \definefont[Gedichtfont][Fraktur]
> \Gedichtfont{... poem ...}
>
> both with "context" and "texexec", but I don't achieve the desired result.
> "texexec" displays a font somehow similar to Fraktur, but not a very nice
> one and
> much to broad; and it seems to have no different "s" (one inner-word and
> one word-end
> or syllable-end "s") as needed in Fraktur. And, my "texexec" doesn't know
> anything
> about umlauts and sharp s.
> Whereas my "context" (translating the same program), dosn't know Fraktur,
> but knows
> umlauts.
> So I'm always using both of them, enjoying the partial success of both,
> though
> I read somewhere, it should be better using "texexec".
>
> Well, a very nice Fraktur font is Yannis Haralambous' "yfrak" in his
> "yfont"
> series, the nicest one I've found until now.
>
> Could you please help me to formulate the correct commands to use a "nice"
> Fraktur
> font, be it "yfrak" or another one? But please remember, Context is still
> rather
> confusing to me. So, it should be simple enough.
>
> Best regards,
> Ruhmwolf
>
> Thinking to  latex:
etex+latex format = latex
pdftex+latex format = pdflatex
luatex+latex format = lualatex

Probably you were/are using pdflatex or latex

We have now :

mkii: pdftex+mkii format
To run mkii you use texexec
mkii is frozen
and
from the pov of features
it's  like latex and pdflatex

mkiv:luatex+mkiv format
luatex embeds the Lua language.
To run mkiv you use context
mkiv the current target of development
and is very advanced, while lualatex it's still behind .
It's the recommanded format: mkii is of course stable,
but every feature of mkii is now in mkiv and mkiv is more easy
(I should also add faster than mkii but not always , we are working on it...
oh well you can use luajiitex in case)

For fonts you can search and try
simplefonts
(works with mkiv only)

--
luigi

* Re: Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-13  7:36 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2013-06-13  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28:12AM +0200, Rudolf Bahr wrote:
> both with "context" and "texexec", but I don't achieve the desired result.
> "texexec" displays a font somehow similar to Fraktur, but not a very nice one and
> much to broad; and it seems to have no different "s" (one inner-word and one word-end
> or syllable-end "s") as needed in Fraktur. And, my "texexec" doesn't know anything
> about umlauts and sharp s.
> Whereas my "context" (translating the same program), dosn't know Fraktur, but knows
> umlauts.

For "context" (ConTeXt MkIV), you may want to try an OpenType Fraktur
font, like:
http://unifraktur.sourceforge.net/

The long s versus rounded s distinction is a text input issue, you have
to inter the correct s according the position in the word (the rules are
complex, different from a country to country and from a period to
another).

Regards,
Khaled

* Re: Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-13 22:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-13 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/13/2013 9:36 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28:12AM +0200, Rudolf Bahr wrote:
>> both with "context" and "texexec", but I don't achieve the desired result.
>> "texexec" displays a font somehow similar to Fraktur, but not a very nice one and
>> much to broad; and it seems to have no different "s" (one inner-word and one word-end
>> or syllable-end "s") as needed in Fraktur. And, my "texexec" doesn't know anything
>> about umlauts and sharp s.
>> Whereas my "context" (translating the same program), dosn't know Fraktur, but knows
>> umlauts.
>
> For "context" (ConTeXt MkIV), you may want to try an OpenType Fraktur
> font, like:
> http://unifraktur.sourceforge.net/
>
> The long s versus rounded s distinction is a text input issue, you have
> to inter the correct s according the position in the word (the rules are
> complex, different from a country to country and from a period to
> another).

these fonts look quite ok .. i can even read the samples

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-21 16:53 ` Rudolf Bahr
From: Rudolf Bahr @ 2013-06-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Luigi, Khaled and Hans,

I have to apologize to you for not having written up to now.
I simply didn't see your answers. Today, a young woman from the environment
of Dante e.V. pointed me to here. She gave me some good advice to the topic too.

Thanks a lot to you, now I have to digest your answers first.

Regards, Rudolf

* Re: Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-21 19:01   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/06/13 18:53, Rudolf Bahr wrote:
> Hello Luigi, Khaled and Hans,
>
> I have to apologize to you for not having written up to now.
> I simply didn't see your answers. Today, a young woman from the environment
> of Dante e.V. pointed me to here. She gave me some good advice to the topic too.
>
> Thanks a lot to you, now I have to digest your answers first.

Hi Rudolf,

using UnifrakturMaguntia (from http://unifraktur.sf.net), here is a
small sample:

\mainlanguage[deo]

\definefontfeature[default][default]%
[script=latn,ss06=yes,cv01=yes,ss01=yes,ss03=yes]

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[UnifrakturMaguntia]

\starttext

\startlines
Habe nun, ach! Philosophie,
Juristerey und Medicin,
Und leider auch Theologie!
Durchaus studirt, mit heißem Bemühn.
Da steh’ ich nun, ich armer Thor!
\stoplines

\stoptext

I think that it's easier to use the simplefonts module than the standard
ConTeXt method. I guess one of the advantages of simplefonts is to
invoke font by OS name. I must admit I'm biased here: I don't actually
know how to use the standard ConTeXt font system :-).

Just in case they were needed (sorry if they aren't), two tips:

\setmainfont sets the font for the whole document. If you want only to
use it in a passage or from a given point
\definesimplefonttypeface[UnifratkturMaguncia] or
\definesimplefont[UnifrakturMaguncia].

OpenType features are enabled for the whole document with
\definefontfeature and they are enabled or disabled using the
four-character tag equals to yes or no.

I hope is clear. Don't hesitate to ask, if anything isn't.

I hope it might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk