From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: UWIN?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:40:11 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/14/2013 2:46 AM, Bill Meahan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, has anyone tried porting ConTeXt to the UWIN
> environment?
>
> UWIN is very much like cygwin in being a "Unix on Windows"
> environment. However, it is not based on GNU but is Real Unix code
> from AT&T Bell Labs. Many of the utilities are simply the latest
> versions of the original Version 7 Unix utilities, others are from
> BSD, System III and System V. The shell is genuine ksh93, not pdksh
> or bash/dash. There is a POSIX dll to provide a complete POSIX api.
> This is AT&T's own, not the "POSIX subsystem" from Microsoft. The cc
> command is a wrapper for Visual C, gcc or whatever you have. Instead
> of the usual autoconf..configure..make..make install dance you can
> use nmake.

Just wondering: why are users using unix shells on windows for running
tex? does it have advantages?

Or is the availability of unix commands the main reason?

Context (mkiv) itself does not rely on anything else than lua and that
is provided by the engine itself.

> I can run the usual Windows context with a bit of fiddling but it
> would be nice to use the regular setuptex shell script et. al.

You can try to port the setuptex script to ksh93; it's no problem to add
that to the minimals then.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE