* Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 13:53 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-26 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

How does one override the default pdf viewer for MKIV Standalone on
Windows 7-64 so --autopdf starts Acrobat Reader instead of "sumatrapdf.exe"?

I don't have "sumatra" and do not wish to install it just to satisfy
this one application. WTH is it anyway? (I know what it is, it's a
rhetorical question). Making some obscure pdf viewer the default with no
clear way to change it is not a good idea. For Windows, the vast
majority of people have Acrobat Reader which is very often preinstalled.
For Linux, it's less clear what the default should be but {xpdf
|evince|acroread} are quite common. Can't speak to OSX as I've never
used it but I'd bet a coffee Acrobat Reader is (or can be) there, too.

I have searched through the source and tried editing l-pdf.lua but that
doesn't seem to fix the problem. I shouldn't have to edit system source
in any event.

Mark me frustrated.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan

"The nice thing about standards is there are so many of them."  -- Henry
Spencer

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 14:20 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-26 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>wrote:

> How does one override the default pdf viewer for MKIV Standalone on
> Windows 7-64 so --autopdf starts Acrobat Reader instead of "sumatrapdf.exe"?
>
> I don't have "sumatra" and do not wish to install it just to satisfy this
> one application. WTH is it anyway? (I know what it is, it's a rhetorical
> question). Making some obscure pdf viewer the default with no clear way to
> change it is not a good idea. For Windows, the vast majority of people have
> Acrobat Reader which is very often preinstalled. For Linux, it's less clear
> what the default should be but {xpdf |evince|acroread} are quite common.
> Can't speak to OSX as I've never used it but I'd bet a coffee Acrobat
> Reader is (or can be) there, too.
>
> I have searched through the source and tried editing l-pdf.lua but that
> doesn't seem to fix the problem. I shouldn't have to edit system source in
> any event.
>
> Mark me frustrated.
>
> I don't see l-pdf.lua in my standalone .

I don't use sumatra under linux but I see this
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra']     =
'start "test" "c:/data/system/sumatrapdf/sumatrapdf.exe" -reuse-instance',
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra']     =
'start "test" "sumatrapdf.exe" -reuse-instance -bg-color 0xCCCCCC',
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra'] =
false,
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra'] =
false,
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:    pdfview.method =
"sumatra"
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra'] =
'wine "sumatrapdf.exe" -reuse-instance -bg-color 0xCCCCCC',
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra'] =
false,
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:        ['sumatra'] =
false,
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/l-pdfview.lua:    pdfview.method =
"sumatra"
tex/texmf-context/context/data/scite/scite-context.properties:
name.flag.pdfopen=--autopdf=sumatra

In l-pdfview.lua I argue that
pdfview.method = "acrobat"
can help .
If you are using scite, then  the file is probably

@ 2013-06-26 15:17   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-26 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/26/2013 10:20 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Bill Meahan
> <subscribed_lists@meahan.net <mailto:subscribed_lists@meahan.net>> wrote:
>

>     How does one override the default pdf viewer for MKIV Standalone
>     on Windows 7-64 so --autopdf starts Acrobat Reader instead of
>     "sumatrapdf.exe"?
>
>     I don't have "sumatra" and do not wish to install it just to
>     satisfy this one application. WTH is it anyway? (I know what it
>     is, it's a rhetorical question). Making some obscure pdf viewer
>     the default with no clear way to change it is not a good idea. For
>     Windows, the vast majority of people have Acrobat Reader which is
>     very often preinstalled. For Linux, it's less clear what the
>     default should be but {xpdf |evince|acroread} are quite common.
>     Can't speak to OSX as I've never used it but I'd bet a coffee
>     Acrobat Reader is (or can be) there, too.
>
>     I have searched through the source and tried editing l-pdf.lua but
>     that doesn't seem to fix the problem. I shouldn't have to edit
>     system source in any event.
>
>     Mark me frustrated.
>
> I don't see l-pdf.lua in my standalone .

TYPO: It's l-pdfview.lua sometimes my memory....

 From my standalone (updated yesterday)

..[snip]..
if os.type == "windows" then

     opencalls = {
         ['default']     = "pdfopen --rxi --file",
         ['acrobat']     = "pdfopen --rxi --file",
         ['fullacrobat'] = "pdfopen --axi --file",
         ['okular']      = 'start "test"
"c:/data/system/kde/bin/okular.exe" --unique', -- todo!
         ['sumatra']     = 'start "test"
"c:/data/system/sumatrapdf/sumatrapdf.exe" -reuse-instance',
         ['okular']      = 'start "test" "okular.exe" --unique',
         ['sumatra']     = 'start "test" "sumatrapdf.exe"
-reuse-instance -bg-color 0xCCCCCC',
     }
     closecalls= {
         ['default'] = "pdfclose --file",
         ['acrobat'] = "pdfclose --file",
         ['okular']  = false,
         ['sumatra'] = false,
     }
     allcalls = {
         ['default'] = "pdfclose --all",
         ['acrobat'] = "pdfclose --all",
         ['okular']  = false,
         ['sumatra'] = false,
     }

     pdfview.method = "acrobat" -- no longer useful due to green pop up
line and clasing reader/full
     pdfview.method = "sumatra"   <===========================

     runner = function(cmd)
         os.execute(cmd) -- .. " > /null"
     end

else
  ..[snip]..

Although I first discovered this when trying to use SciTE, it does the
same thing if invoked from the command line. The pdf viewer does not
appear in any of the SciTE *.properties files.

--

@ 2013-06-26 16:11     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>wrote:

>  On 6/26/2013 10:20 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>wrote:
>

>> How does one override the default pdf viewer for MKIV Standalone on
>> Windows 7-64 so --autopdf starts Acrobat Reader instead of "sumatrapdf.exe"?
>>
>> I don't have "sumatra" and do not wish to install it just to satisfy this
>> one application. WTH is it anyway? (I know what it is, it's a rhetorical
>> question). Making some obscure pdf viewer the default with no clear way to
>> change it is not a good idea. For Windows, the vast majority of people have
>> Acrobat Reader which is very often preinstalled. For Linux, it's less clear
>> what the default should be but {xpdf |evince|acroread} are quite common.
>> Can't speak to OSX as I've never used it but I'd bet a coffee Acrobat
>> Reader is (or can be) there, too.
>>
>> I have searched through the source and tried editing l-pdf.lua but that
>> doesn't seem to fix the problem. I shouldn't have to edit system source in
>> any event.
>>
>> Mark me frustrated.
>>
>>  I don't see l-pdf.lua in my standalone .
>
>  TYPO: It's l-pdfview.lua sometimes my memory....
>
> From my standalone (updated yesterday)
>
> ..[snip]..
> if os.type == "windows" then
>
>     opencalls = {
>         ['default']     = "pdfopen --rxi --file",
>         ['acrobat']     = "pdfopen --rxi --file",
>         ['fullacrobat'] = "pdfopen --axi --file",
>         ['okular']      = 'start "test"
> "c:/data/system/kde/bin/okular.exe" --unique', -- todo!
>
>         ['sumatra']     = 'start "test"
> "c:/data/system/sumatrapdf/sumatrapdf.exe" -reuse-instance',
>         ['okular']      = 'start "test" "okular.exe" --unique',
>
>         ['sumatra']     = 'start "test" "sumatrapdf.exe" -reuse-instance
> -bg-color 0xCCCCCC',
>     }
>     closecalls= {
>         ['default'] = "pdfclose --file",
>         ['acrobat'] = "pdfclose --file",
>         ['okular']  = false,
>         ['sumatra'] = false,
>     }
>     allcalls = {
>         ['default'] = "pdfclose --all",
>         ['acrobat'] = "pdfclose --all",
>         ['okular']  = false,
>         ['sumatra'] = false,
>     }
>
>     pdfview.method = "acrobat" -- no longer useful due to green pop up
> line and clasing reader/full
>     pdfview.method = "sumatra"   <===========================
>
>     runner = function(cmd)
>         os.execute(cmd) -- .. " > /null"
>     end
>
> else
>  ..[snip]..
>
> Although I first discovered this when trying to use SciTE, it does the
> same thing if invoked from the command line. The pdf viewer does not appear
> in any of the SciTE *.properties files.

maybe
context --autopdf=acrobat <yourfile.tex>
context --autopdf=fullacrobat <yourfile.tex>

--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 19:29       ` Hans Hagen
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-26 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/26/2013 6:11 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Bill Meahan
 >
>>         I don't have "sumatra" and do not wish to install it just to
>>         satisfy this one application. WTH is it anyway? (I know what
>>         it is, it's a rhetorical question). Making some obscure pdf
>>         viewer the default with no clear way to change it is not a
>>         good idea. For Windows, the vast majority of people have
>>         Acrobat Reader which is very often preinstalled. For Linux,
>>         it's less clear what the default should be but {xpdf
>>         |evince|acroread} are quite common. Can't speak to OSX as I've
>>         never used it but I'd bet a coffee Acrobat Reader is (or can
>>         be) there, too.

- on none of my window boxes acrobat was preinstalled
- there is no robust way to start acrobat
- pdfopen has to be adapted to major updates of acrobat
- there is (at least on my machine) a potential clash between reader and
professional
- acrobat occasionally tends to block
- the latest version of acrobat has funny popups when opening docs

while sumatrapdf

- is pretty fast
- has matured quite well
- remembers the current page
- renders quite ok
- even supports some basic interactivity
- (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
- can be installed as portable application
- works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)

so, enough reasons for me to have changed the defaults (esp because one
can always set different defaults)

>     Although I first discovered this when trying to use SciTE, it does
>     the same thing if invoked from the command line. The pdf viewer does
>     not appear in any of the SciTE *.properties files.
>

> maybe
> context --autopdf=acrobat <yourfile.tex>
> context --autopdf=fullacrobat <yourfile.tex>

or in a scite user properties file:

if PLAT_WIN
     name.flag.pdfopen=--autopdf=acrobat

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 20:22         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-26 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> while sumatrapdf
>
> - is pretty fast
> - has matured quite well
> - remembers the current page
> - renders quite ok
> - even supports some basic interactivity
> - (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
> - can be installed as portable application
> - works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)
>
> I have to admit that I often think to a context pdf viewer, and mupdf
seems the right candidate.
Under ubuntu 64bit 12.04 xpdf doesn't work, acroreader is still 9 32 bit
(so I use wine acroreader 11)
evince is ok, probably also okular.
A context pdf viewer should be like sumatrapdf at least ---  so  in the end
I also installed sumatrapdf.exe under linux .

Now that I have done a luatex binding for mupdf,
if we have a minimal GUI toolkit cross platform (but really minimal)
it's possible to build a pdfviewer in luatex
(ok  I think that it's quite slow).

--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 20:36           ` Siep Kroonenberg
From: Siep Kroonenberg @ 2013-06-26 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:22:23PM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

> > while sumatrapdf
> >
> > - is pretty fast
> > - has matured quite well
> > - remembers the current page
> > - renders quite ok
> > - even supports some basic interactivity
> > - (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
> > - can be installed as portable application
> > - works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)
> >
> > I have to admit that I often think to a context pdf viewer, and mupdf
> seems the right candidate.
> Under ubuntu 64bit 12.04 xpdf doesn't work, acroreader is still 9 32 bit
> (so I use wine acroreader 11)
> evince is ok, probably also okular.
> A context pdf viewer should be like sumatrapdf at least ---  so  in the end
> I also installed sumatrapdf.exe under linux .

For Linux, have a look at qpdfview.

--
Siep Kroonenberg

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 20:50           ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2013-06-26 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Luigi!

···<date: 2013-06-26, Wednesday>···<from: luigi scarso>···

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

> > while sumatrapdf
> >
> > - is pretty fast
> > - has matured quite well
> > - remembers the current page
> > - renders quite ok
> > - even supports some basic interactivity
> > - (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
> > - can be installed as portable application
> > - works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)
> >
> > I have to admit that I often think to a context pdf viewer, and mupdf
> seems the right candidate.
> Under ubuntu 64bit 12.04 xpdf doesn't work, acroreader is still 9 32 bit
> (so I use wine acroreader 11)
> evince is ok, probably also okular.
> A context pdf viewer should be like sumatrapdf at least ---  so  in the end
> I also installed sumatrapdf.exe under linux .
>
> Now that I have done a luatex binding for mupdf,
> if we have a minimal GUI toolkit cross platform (but really minimal)
> it's possible to build a pdfviewer in luatex

If you’re serious about this, the Zathura guys have a separate
interface library based on GTK [1]. Having some (any) Lua
capability inside a pdf viewer would indeed be nice.

Best,
Philipp

[1] <http://pwmt.org/projects/girara/>.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 490 bytes --]

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 20:58             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-26 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/26/2013 10:50 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hi Luigi!
>
> ···<date: 2013-06-26, Wednesday>···<from: luigi scarso>···
>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>

>>> while sumatrapdf
>>>
>>> - is pretty fast
>>> - has matured quite well
>>> - remembers the current page
>>> - renders quite ok
>>> - even supports some basic interactivity
>>> - (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
>>> - can be installed as portable application
>>> - works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)
>>>
>>> I have to admit that I often think to a context pdf viewer, and mupdf
>> seems the right candidate.
>> Under ubuntu 64bit 12.04 xpdf doesn't work, acroreader is still 9 32 bit
>> (so I use wine acroreader 11)
>> evince is ok, probably also okular.
>> A context pdf viewer should be like sumatrapdf at least ---  so  in the end
>> I also installed sumatrapdf.exe under linux .
>>
>> Now that I have done a luatex binding for mupdf,
>> if we have a minimal GUI toolkit cross platform (but really minimal)
>> it's possible to build a pdfviewer in luatex
>
> If you’re serious about this, the Zathura guys have a separate
> interface library based on GTK [1]. Having some (any) Lua
> capability inside a pdf viewer would indeed be nice.

FYI: After Luigi and I have wrapped up the projects "swiglib"
(libraries) and "speed-up-luatex" projects we will start our
"lua-in-pdf-viewer" exploration (after all pdf permits additional
annotations) ... and we need challenges.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 21:09             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-26 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

 --
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 21:16               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-26 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 6/26/2013 10:50 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>
>> Hi Luigi!
>>
>> ···<date: 2013-06-26, Wednesday>···<from: luigi scarso>···

>>> seems the right candidate.
>>> Under ubuntu 64bit 12.04 xpdf doesn't work, acroreader is still 9 32 bit
>>> (so I use wine acroreader 11)
>>> evince is ok, probably also okular.
>>> A context pdf viewer should be like sumatrapdf at least ---  so  in the
>>> end
>>> I also installed sumatrapdf.exe under linux .
>>>
>>> Now that I have done a luatex binding for mupdf,
>>> if we have a minimal GUI toolkit cross platform (but really minimal)
>>> it's possible to build a pdfviewer in luatex
>>>

>> If you’re serious about this, the Zathura guys have a separate
>> interface library based on GTK [1]. Having some (any) Lua
>> capability inside a pdf viewer would indeed be nice.
>>

> FYI: After Luigi and I have wrapped up the projects "swiglib" (libraries)
> and "speed-up-luatex" projects we will start our "lua-in-pdf-viewer"
> exploration (after all pdf permits additional annotations) ... and we need
> challenges.
>
> Hans

yes, approximately/hopefully end of next year, and suggestions are all
welcome, of course --- and the meeting is a nice place to discuss these
kind of things.
Of course  a good solution has small size, it is fast and works in the same
way at least under Windows/Linux/Mac.

--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 21:27         ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/26/2013 3:29 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

............[snip]...................

> - on none of my window boxes acrobat was preinstalled
> - there is no robust way to start acrobat
> - pdfopen has to be adapted to major updates of acrobat
> - there is (at least on my machine) a potential clash between reader
> and professional
> - acrobat occasionally tends to block
> - the latest version of acrobat has funny popups when opening docs
>
> while sumatrapdf
>
> - is pretty fast
> - has matured quite well
> - remembers the current page
> - renders quite ok
> - even supports some basic interactivity
> - (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
> - can be installed as portable application
> - works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)

sumatrapdf may be the best PDF viewer ever invented. As a lawyer might
say, "I'll stipulate that." If someone who wants to use ConTeXt has
never heard of it and has to use a search engine to even know what it
is, however, it's not a great default to have on a *public* distribution.

Similar arguments could be made for Calibre (which I use).

> so, enough reasons for me to have changed the defaults (esp because
> one can always set different defaults)

That was my original question: how do I change the default without
hand-editing a file in the base distribution? That's not only bad
practice, it's liable to get overwritten on the "next" update.

Does one use texmf.cnf or something else with a very recent MKIV?

>>     Although I first discovered this when trying to use SciTE, it does
>>     the same thing if invoked from the command line. The pdf viewer does
>>     not appear in any of the SciTE *.properties files.

I haven't settled on SciTE as the editor I want to use but a SciTE-only
workaround misses the point.

>> maybe
>> context --autopdf=acrobat <yourfile.tex>
>> context --autopdf=fullacrobat <yourfile.tex>

When run from the cmd.exe command line, acrobat _does_ get launched
_but_ it gets launched before ConTeXt has created the pdf file then
hangs so the only way to exit is a Ctrl-C in the cmd.exe window. Simply
closing acrobat simply causes acrobat to launch again.

A better solution would be to assume the person installing ConTeXt does
not have a PDF reader *at all* and include some minimal self-contained
reader (no dll's needed) in the distribution itself, the way rsync is
included. I really don't care which one, as long as there is *something*
present. MuPDF might be a good choice but I'm quite sure everyone on the
list has a favorite they would like to see as the "included" viewer for
one reason or another. As long as ConTeXt is guaranteed to find it, it
is a good default.

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 21:34               ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2013-06-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2013-06-26, Wednesday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···

> On 6/26/2013 10:50 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >Hi Luigi!
> >
> >···<date: 2013-06-26, Wednesday>···<from: luigi scarso>···

> >>seems the right candidate.
> >>Under ubuntu 64bit 12.04 xpdf doesn't work, acroreader is still 9 32 bit
> >>(so I use wine acroreader 11)
> >>evince is ok, probably also okular.
> >>A context pdf viewer should be like sumatrapdf at least ---  so  in the end
> >>I also installed sumatrapdf.exe under linux .
> >>
> >>Now that I have done a luatex binding for mupdf,
> >>if we have a minimal GUI toolkit cross platform (but really minimal)
> >>it's possible to build a pdfviewer in luatex
> >
> >If you’re serious about this, the Zathura guys have a separate
> >interface library based on GTK [1]. Having some (any) Lua
> >capability inside a pdf viewer would indeed be nice.
>
> FYI: After Luigi and I have wrapped up the projects "swiglib"
> (libraries) and "speed-up-luatex" projects we will start our
> "lua-in-pdf-viewer" exploration (after all pdf permits additional
> annotations) ... and we need challenges.

Do you plan on making the PDF internals as transparent and easy
to manipulate as Luatex does with TeX?

Looking forward to it!

Best,
Philipp

@ 2013-06-26 22:24           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-26 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/26/2013 11:27 PM, Bill Meahan wrote:

> That was my original question: how do I change the default without
> hand-editing a file in the base distribution? That's not only bad
> practice, it's liable to get overwritten on the "next" update.

as mentioned in an earlier mail ... you can set it in a user properties
file and the last settings loaded are taken (which happen to be user
properties)

> Does one use texmf.cnf or something else with a very recent MKIV?
>
>>>     Although I first discovered this when trying to use SciTE, it does
>>>     the same thing if invoked from the command line. The pdf viewer does
>>>     not appear in any of the SciTE *.properties files.
>
> I haven't settled on SciTE as the editor I want to use but a SciTE-only
> workaround misses the point.

in any editor, when one wants to run context, mtxrun --script context
has to be configured and adding --autopdf=acrobat is then no big deal

>>> maybe
>>> context --autopdf=acrobat <yourfile.tex>
>>> context --autopdf=fullacrobat <yourfile.tex>
>>

> When run from the cmd.exe command line, acrobat _does_ get launched
> _but_ it gets launched before ConTeXt has created the pdf file then
> hangs so the only way to exit is a Ctrl-C in the cmd.exe window. Simply
> closing acrobat simply causes acrobat to launch again.

it has to do with the fact that only files opened with pdfopen.exe can
be closed with pdfclose.exe .. both programs already have to jump
through loops to get that done

> A better solution would be to assume the person installing ConTeXt does
> not have a PDF reader *at all* and include some minimal self-contained
> reader (no dll's needed) in the distribution itself, the way rsync is
> included. I really don't care which one, as long as there is *something*
> present. MuPDF might be a good choice but I'm quite sure everyone on the
> list has a favorite they would like to see as the "included" viewer for
> one reason or another. As long as ConTeXt is guaranteed to find it, it
> is a good default.

i suppose that summatrapdf can be put in the texmf-mswin/bin path ..
after all. the portable version is not depending on other components

btw, is nothing is present, context will still run ok with --autopdf ...
okay one will need a printer then

as said: acrobat just became too inconvenient for me to use in a fast
edit/view cycle (pop ups, dialogs, conflicts between professional and
reader, etc. makes me wonder where it's heading); i still use
professional for proofing, inspection and presentations (when some
javascript related features and/or layers and/or structure is needed).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-26 23:02             ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-26 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/26/2013 6:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
........................[snip].........................

If there is one thing I have learned in developing software since 1965
(not a typo), it is to never depend on /any /third-party application
being present. If it is not part of the base system install, it probably
won't be there. I've even met Unix systems without /make/. Requiring the
user to use some flag or other seldom flies and results in many
nastygrams and late-night phone calls. If you need it, include it.

I pass on this group of scars on my butt for what it's worth and declare
the topic closed.

--

@ 2013-06-27  2:21         ` hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-06-27  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I likewise find the Sumatr pdf viewer better.  Besides the benefits already mentioned, it also has the proper quality of being non-intrusive.  Adobe readers are quite happy to bloat your memory and take control or otherwise intrude on your system's normal operations.

I don't use Adobe's reader at all.

Cheers

@ 2013-06-27  7:21               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-27  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>wrote:

>  On 6/26/2013 6:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>  ........................[snip].........................
>
> If there is one thing I have learned in developing software since 1965
> (not a typo), it is to never depend on *any *third-party application
> being present. If it is not part of the base system install, it probably
> won't be there. I've even met Unix systems without *make*. Requiring the
> user to use some flag or other seldom flies and results in many nastygrams
> and late-night phone calls. If you need it, include it.
>
> yes , this is how currently the standalone core  context --- and in the
end, also the texlive -- works, with the constrain that
it has to work with the same results on several different platforms.
This means that the viewer cannot be part of the core -- it's the same
situation of inkscape for svg.
But instead of give no support at all sometime is better to give some
support, if possibile -- for example if it's easy to install a pdf viewer
or inkscape.

--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27  7:35           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-27  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:21 AM, <hwitloc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I likewise find the Sumatr pdf viewer better.  Besides the benefits
> already mentioned, it also has the proper quality of being non-intrusive.
>  Adobe readers are quite happy to bloat your memory and take control or
> otherwise intrude on your system's normal operations.
>
> I don't use Adobe's reader at all.

Adobe Reader/Acrobat is the reference: is you see and print a pdf with
Acrobat under Windows 8 you are on the right side.
Otherwise you are on the wrong side.
For javascript, if the pdf  works under Acrobat under Windows 8 it's ok,
otherwise no.

If Reader/Acrobat doesn't complain the question if the pdf is valid or not
is not important for and end user (ok, it's not true for pdf/a).

Until now I have found the sumatrapdf is (very) good, but it cannot be used
as reference.
--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27  8:13             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/27/2013 9:35 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:21 AM, <hwitloc@gmail.com
> <mailto:hwitloc@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I likewise find the Sumatr pdf viewer better.  Besides the benefits
>     already mentioned, it also has the proper quality of being
>     non-intrusive.  Adobe readers are quite happy to bloat your memory
>     and take control or otherwise intrude on your system's normal
>     operations.
>
>     I don't use Adobe's reader at all.
>
> Adobe Reader/Acrobat is the reference: is you see and print a pdf with
> Acrobat under Windows 8 you are on the right side.
> Otherwise you are on the wrong side.
> For javascript, if the pdf  works under Acrobat under Windows 8 it's ok,
> otherwise no.
>
> If Reader/Acrobat doesn't complain the question if the pdf is valid or
> not is not important for and end user (ok, it's not true for pdf/a).

indeed, it's the final reference

> Until now I have found the sumatrapdf is (very) good, but it cannot be
> used as reference.

but okay and convenient for edit/view cycles (my second choice is
okular, also available for windows)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27 15:15             ` Sietse Brouwer
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-27 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Instead of choosing our own default PDF viewer, we should probably
invoke the user's default PDF viewer. Every OS has a command-line
program to open a file with the system default program:

On OS X:
open myfile.pdf

On Windows:
start myfile.pdf

On Linux, there separate programmes for KDE, new gnome and old gnome,
and desktop-agnostic:
kde-open myfile.pdf || gvfs-open myfile.pdf || gnome-open myfile.pdf
|| xdg-open myfile.pdf

Cheers,
Sietse

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27 15:44               ` Mica Semrick
From: Mica Semrick @ 2013-06-27 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Linux, there separate programmes for KDE, new gnome and old gnome,
and desktop-agnostic:
kde-open myfile.pdf || gvfs-open myfile.pdf || gnome-open myfile.pdf
|| xdg-open myfile.pdf

On my linux mint/debian boxes, xdg-open works fine across MATE, XFCE, and
KDE.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead of choosing our own default PDF viewer, we should probably
> invoke the user's default PDF viewer. Every OS has a command-line
> program to open a file with the system default program:
>
> On OS X:
> open myfile.pdf
>
> On Windows:
> start myfile.pdf
>
> On Linux, there separate programmes for KDE, new gnome and old gnome,
> and desktop-agnostic:
> kde-open myfile.pdf || gvfs-open myfile.pdf || gnome-open myfile.pdf
> || xdg-open myfile.pdf
>
> Cheers,
> Sietse

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27 17:25               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-06-27 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Sietse Brouwer wrote:

> Instead of choosing our own default PDF viewer, we should probably
> invoke the user's default PDF viewer. Every OS has a command-line
> program to open a file with the system default program:
>
> On OS X:
> open myfile.pdf
>
> On Windows:
> start myfile.pdf
>
> On Linux, there separate programmes for KDE, new gnome and old gnome,
> and desktop-agnostic:
> kde-open myfile.pdf || gvfs-open myfile.pdf || gnome-open myfile.pdf
> || xdg-open myfile.pdf

Or, simple read the mailcap preference  or use a program such as
run-mailcap or see which choose the viewer based on mailcap preferences.

I am half joking here; don't go down this route. One can simply leave it
to the user to write a wrapper to context that calls the PDF viewer when
context is finished.

Aditya

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27 18:18               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/27/2013 5:15 PM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> Instead of choosing our own default PDF viewer, we should probably
> invoke the user's default PDF viewer. Every OS has a command-line
> program to open a file with the system default program:
>
> On OS X:
> open myfile.pdf
>
> On Windows:
> start myfile.pdf
>
> On Linux, there separate programmes for KDE, new gnome and old gnome,
> and desktop-agnostic:
> kde-open myfile.pdf || gvfs-open myfile.pdf || gnome-open myfile.pdf
> || xdg-open myfile.pdf

but there is no

stop    myfile.pdf
restart myfile.pdf

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-27 19:39                 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2013-06-27 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am half joking here; don't go down this route.

  Why?  Users can override defaults, but most don't (and most certainly
not by writing additional code themselves, except for a tiny minority).
Why shouldn't reasonable defaults be provided?

	Arthur

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-07-01  2:31           ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-07-01  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

"Keith J. Schultz" <keithjschultz@web.de> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I would agree that the users default should be respected.
>
> I will have to contradict my last post them.
>
> My suggestion them is to use a system variable such as
> ConTeXtViewer. This variable would contain the program to be called.
> If it is not set or empty context simply finishes up what ever it is doing
> and exits.
>
> It would not be two hard for a user to set this variable. Everybody gets what they
> want. It is not intrusive. It survives updates. Only needs to be done once.
>
> Now, if anybody wants to us the current method and furture versions he can
> or set up he wants.

Windows, Mac, and Linux and other Unix-like systems all have such a
system variable already, in their respective graphical desktop
software. There is absolutely no need, and hardly any purpose either, in
creating another setting - in fact it would only create further
confusion. The respective already-existing settings for each OS were
already mentioned earlier in this thread; all that's required for
ConTeXt is to read the system setting that already exists and use it. If
the user's default turns out to be not set, ConTeXt could do any
combination of [complain] [open the user's system preferences for
editing] [use its own default PDF software] [whatever else Hans et al
have up their collective sleeve]. This means ConTeXt needs a
small-but-cumbersome list of all the places to look where the user may
have set their preferred PDF viewer, but that's just the price of being
cross-platform.

Anyone working with PDF is running a graphical desktop, right? I can see
that people may prefer to work in terminal emulators as a matter of
comfort/utility/familiarity, but is there anyone using ConTeXt and (on
Linux or other Unix-like system) not running X11? (I think it's almost
perfectly safe to assume that no Windows ConTeXt users are running
straight DOS without a GUI...)

--
David

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28 13:16             ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-06-28 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I meant a OS system variable. But that actually does not matter.
The default action would be changed to not call a browser!

I agree that nobody should be forced to use autopdf.
Yet, as I understand the discussion there seems to be a need
to add some generality to the method.

Possibly, a cleaner way to resolve this discussion is to define calls for
user as in user defined. In other words, in addition to -autopdf there will be
a parameter -autocalls which is a list of commands for the calls opencalls, closecalls,
allcalls.

No for more need for anyone to really change a file it would be in their call to context.

regards
	Keith.

Am 28.06.2013 um 12:34 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> On 6/28/2013 10:56 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would agree that the users default should be respected.
>>
>> I will have to contradict my last post them.
>>
>> My suggestion them is to use a system variable such as
>> ConTeXtViewer. This variable would contain the program to be called.
>> If it is not set or empty context simply finishes up what ever it is doing
>> and exits.
>
> in that case it would be a directive in texmfcnf.lua (probably in the texmflocal instance) but when unset there still will be the default
>
> no one is forced to use --autopdf and if someone doesn't want to pop up a browser one can simply nto use --autopdf
>
> keep in mind that when a user uses --autopdf he/she probably knows what is needed can can as well pass some extra info
[snip, snip]

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28 10:34           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-28 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/28/2013 10:56 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would agree that the users default should be respected.
>
> I will have to contradict my last post them.
>
> My suggestion them is to use a system variable such as
> ConTeXtViewer. This variable would contain the program to be called.
> If it is not set or empty context simply finishes up what ever it is doing
> and exits.

in that case it would be a directive in texmfcnf.lua (probably in the
texmflocal instance) but when unset there still will be the default

no one is forced to use --autopdf and if someone doesn't want to pop up
a browser one can simply nto use --autopdf

keep in mind that when a user uses --autopdf he/she probably knows what
is needed can can as well pass some extra info

> It would not be two hard for a user to set this variable. Everybody gets what they
> want. It is not intrusive. It survives updates. Only needs to be done once.
>
> Now, if anybody wants to us the current method and furture versions he can
> or set up he wants.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28  8:56         ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-06-28  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.06.2013 um 01:53 schrieb Gareth Jones <gareth.k.jones@gmail.com>:

>> I'll repeat what I said, though: the PDF reader that is (a) most
>> likely to be installed, and (b) is most logical / least surprising to
>> the user, is: the user's own default PDF viewer.
>
> For what it’s worth, as an end user, I agree.

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28  8:29 Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-06-28  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I have been following this thread with some amusement.

There is no real optimal answer to this question short of developing
a dedicated pdfviewer for ConTeXt. But, is this the best use of our resources.
Furthermore, how about a dedicated editor? ;-)) (just joking, but I am
sure somebody would come with the idea eventually, once we start down this
path)

As a Mac user, and one that shys away from using X. I use TeXShop.
TeXShop has a multiplatform counterpart TeXWorks, distributed with
TeXLive. It has a integrated pdf viewer with SyncTeX functionality.
Its pdf viewer is based on Poppler. How good it is I can not say. But,
it should not be two hard to extract it and turn it into a standalone.

I think it could work as an adequate viewer. If someone then needs
to use something better they can write the scripts they need themselves.

Maybe, the TeXWorks guys could help.

regards
	Keith

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28  8:28       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-28  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/28/2013 1:46 AM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:

> I'll repeat what I said, though: the PDF reader that is (a) most
> likely to be installed, and (b) is most logical / least surprising to
> the user, is: the user's own default PDF viewer. Adobe Reader may be
> clunky for this purpose, but IMO the user's choice should nonetheless
> be respected.
>
> It is easier, and less aggravating, to look up 'what is a better PDF
> viewer than Adobe' than 'why does ConTeXt not respect my default PDF
> viewer setting?'

well, is someone chooses 'default' i.e. --autopdf=default then the
pdfopen and pdfclose commands are used and these will use the system
defaults; i can add 'auto' to do 'start' and 'open' but i'm not going to
bother then with something close (which isn't available on all systems
anyway)

to be honest. i wasn't aware if anyone using --autopdf anyway and i
mostly made it for my own edit/view cycle with scite, and the defaults
there are my personal ones and users can easilly override them in a user
properties file (so anyone not satisfied with my choices can set the
preference to --autopdf=default there and get whatever (probably
acrobat) is set up there (and then start fighting version clash startup
differences)

i expect most users to use their personal favourite editor and be able
to configure the run context command (and is one omits the --autopdf
viewing is completely up to the editor / os: as said, i only added
--autopdf because it's handy in scite)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28  6:23       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-28  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Arthur Reutenauer <
arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:

> > Unfortunately my version of evince doesn't always print correctly  a pdf
> > made by context mkiv
> >
> > \starttext
> > $3v$ \par
> >
> > $3\omega$
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > When I do print->preview, the math is not shown, and nothing is printed.
>
>   As has already been mentioned, this could simply be a font issue, or a
> silly mistake with the way some programs handle Unicode characters with
> codes over 65536.

it's a known problem
or
http://markmail.org/thread/butajobguctljovt#query:+page:1+mid:3kbunxjsfo2vzjcg+state:results

and probably fixed in the next release of 12.04
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poppler/0.22.4-0ubuntu1
(I have not checked)

--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview
@ 2013-06-28  2:29     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2013-06-28  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-06-27 23:53       ` Gareth Jones
From: Gareth Jones @ 2013-06-27 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-06-27 23:46     ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-27 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

A summary of things people have said in this thread. NB: everything is
paraphrased, so blame me if anything seems overly terse in tone.

----

Bill doesn't have or want SumatraPDF

Hans made SumatraPDF the default because it has lots of nice
properties that Acrobat doesn't have

Luigi thinks maybe mupdf is the right candidate (evince and okular are
OK, xpdf doesn't work under 64bit, linux acrobat is old)

Siep uses qpdfview, perhaps? Suggests it

Bill uses Calibre, personally (and he thinks it would also be  bad if
ConTeXt assumed everyone uses Calibre)

Bill likes the idea of bundling a PDF reader with ConTeXt

Hwitloc doesn't use Acrobat at all

Luigi mentions that Adobe Reader is the reference PDF viewer -- what
doesn't work in Adobe Reader might as well not work at all.

Hans agrees Reader is the reference, but prefers sumatrapdf or okular
for edit/view cycles

Sietse thinks ConTeXt should start by using the user's default pdf
viewer --- via open / start / xdg-open. It is then up to the user to
override this setting for ConTeXt.

Hans thinks this has a problem [on Windows?]: there is start
myfile.pdf, but no stop myfile.pdf. Which doesn't play well with Adobe
Reader, which cannot handle open PDFs being updated.

Aditya proposes -- in jest -- to read the user's mailcap file (on
Linux, presumably).

Pavneet thinks there is merit in this 'read the user's mailcap' jest.
Also, he likes evince.

Luigi has found Evince sometimes has printing problems with PDFs make by MkIV

----

@ 2013-06-27 22:44   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-27 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Pavneet Arora <pavneet_arora@waroc.com>wrote:

> Exactly what I was thinking:
>
> pavneet@darjiling:~$ more .mailcap
> application/pdf; evince %s
>
> I like evince because it also doesn't lock the PDF file, and
> auto-refreshes the view when updated.  It also has/can have a space
> efficient toolbar structure, which works great on my little netbook:
> Asus EEE 701 running Bodhi Linux off an SD card---my favourite writing
> environment by far.  So no wrapper needed except for first invocation
> which puts evince in the background.
>
> My own work environment is a bit like an old-school IDE:
>
> - tmux with side-by-side panes for vim editing and document compilation.
> - different tmux "windows" for different documents being worked on.
> - evince on one of the adjacent workspace to preview.
>   <CTRL><ALT><RIGHT|LEFT> to quickly switch back and forth from
>   edit-compile to test workspaces.
>
> Unfortunately my version of evince doesn't always print correctly  a pdf
made by context mkiv

\starttext
$3v$ \par

$3\omega$

\stoptext

When I do print->preview, the math is not shown, and nothing is printed.

(okular is ok)

--
luigi

* Re: Overriding pdfview