* mixing English and Hebrew
@ 2013-07-21 19:29 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-21 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I was asked how to mix l2r and r2l scripts on the same document. (Just
in case, I have no idea what the Hebrew text below means.)

I have this sample:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[hebrew][lang=heb,script=hebr]
\setmainfontfallback[LinuxLibertineO][range=hebrew,force=yes,features=hebrew]
\setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]

\starttext

This is an English text.\blank

This is a Hebrew passage: בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽ...
\stoptext

I could use \setupalign[r2l], but English would be typeset also right to
left.

I have two questions:

Since Hebrew (both the language and the script) are written from right
to left, shouldn’t it be r2l alignment turned on by default when the
script or language were selected in the OpenType features?

How can I enable r2l alignment only for Hebrew in the sample above?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: mixing English and Hebrew
@ 2013-07-22  8:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-07-22  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/21/2013 9:29 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was asked how to mix l2r and r2l scripts on the same document. (Just
> in case, I have no idea what the Hebrew text below means.)
>
> I have this sample:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefontfeature[hebrew][lang=heb,script=hebr]
> \setmainfontfallback[LinuxLibertineO][range=hebrew,force=yes,features=hebrew]
> \setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]
>
> \starttext
>
> This is an English text.\blank
>
> This is a Hebrew passage: בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽ...
> \stoptext
>
> I could use \setupalign[r2l], but English would be typeset also right to
> left.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> Since Hebrew (both the language and the script) are written from right
> to left, shouldn’t it be r2l alignment turned on by default when the
> script or language were selected in the OpenType features?
>
> How can I enable r2l alignment only for Hebrew in the sample above?

\setupdirections[bidi=on]

but keep in mind that as we're deling with tex i.e. a programmable
system which has commands for changing directions, automatisms can clash
with user commands (when decisions are to be made)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-07-22 15:07   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-22 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/07/13 10:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7/21/2013 9:29 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> [...]
>> How can I enable r2l alignment only for Hebrew in the sample above?
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>
> but keep in mind that as we're deling with tex i.e. a programmable
> system which has commands for changing directions, automatisms can clash
> with user commands (when decisions are to be made)

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

Everything seems to work fine with bidirectionality, but some characters
disappear.

Here is a sample were Hebrew is almost not printed:

    \usemodule[simplefonts]
    \setupdirections[bidi=on]
    \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][lang=heb,script=hebr]
    \setmainfontfallback[LinuxLibertineO]
      [range=hebrew,force=yes,features=hebrew]
    \setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]
    \starttext
    This Hebrew letter isn’t printed: אָֽ.
    \stoptext

I don’t know what is wrong here. The font seems to have defined the
glyph (I‘ve checked it with fontforge).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2013-07-22 16:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-07-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/22/2013 5:07 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> On 22/07/13 10:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/21/2013 9:29 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> How can I enable r2l alignment only for Hebrew in the sample above?
>>
>> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>>
>> but keep in mind that as we're deling with tex i.e. a programmable
>> system which has commands for changing directions, automatisms can clash
>> with user commands (when decisions are to be made)
>
> Many thanks for your reply, Hans.
>
> Everything seems to work fine with bidirectionality, but some characters
> disappear.
>
> Here is a sample were Hebrew is almost not printed:
>
>      \usemodule[simplefonts]
>      \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>      \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][lang=heb,script=hebr]
>      \setmainfontfallback[LinuxLibertineO]
>        [range=hebrew,force=yes,features=hebrew]
>      \setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]
>      \starttext
>      This Hebrew letter isn’t printed: אָֽ.
>      \stoptext
>
> I don’t know what is wrong here. The font seems to have defined the
> glyph (I‘ve checked it with fontforge).

a font issue ?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-07-22 17:50       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/07/13 18:20, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7/22/2013 5:07 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> [...]
>> Everything seems to work fine with bidirectionality, but some characters
>> disappear.
>> [...]
>> I don’t know what is wrong here. The font seems to have defined the
>> glyph (I‘ve checked it with fontforge).
>
> a font issue ?

Well, I experience the same issue with FreeSerif, LinLibertine0, Ezra
SIL and SBLHebrew.

But I’m not an expert here. I guess it might be a ConTeXt issue.

Pablo
--

@ 2013-07-22 17:59         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.07.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

> On 22/07/13 18:20, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/22/2013 5:07 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Everything seems to work fine with bidirectionality, but some characters
>>> disappear.
>>> [...]
>>> I don’t know what is wrong here. The font seems to have defined the
>>> glyph (I‘ve checked it with fontforge).
>>
>> a font issue ?
>
> Well, I experience the same issue with FreeSerif, LinLibertine0, Ezra
> SIL and SBLHebrew.
>
> But I’m not an expert here. I guess it might be a ConTeXt issue.

FreeSerif works but Linux Libertine doesn’t:

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][lang=heb,script=hebr]

\starttext

{\definedfont[file:freeserif*hebrew]אָֽ.}

{\definedfont[file:linuxlibertiner*hebrew]אָֽ.}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: mixing English and Hebrew
@ 2013-07-22 18:14           ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/07/13 19:59, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> [...]
> FreeSerif works but Linux Libertine doesn’t:

It might be something stupid, but I don’t know what is wrong in the
\setmainfontfallback from the following sample:

    \usemodule[simplefonts]
    \setupdirections[bidi=on]
    \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][lang=heb,script=hebr]
    \setmainfontfallback[FreeSerif]
      [range=hebrew,force=yes,features=hebrew]
    \setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]
    \starttext
    This Hebrew letter isn’t printed: אָֽ.
    \stoptext

If FreeSerif is the main font, it works fine. But I don’t get it working
as a fallback font.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

--