* wrong font fallback for Hebrew?
@ 2013-07-25 16:39 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-25 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

using simplefonts (sorry, I don’t know how to do it with the standard
typescripts [it might fail there too]), I don’t get font fallback
working for some Hebrew characters.

Here is the sample:

    \usemodule[simplefonts]
    \setupdirections[bidi=on]
    \definefontfeature[hebrew][lang=heb,script=hebr]
    \setmainfontfallback[FreeSerif][range={hebrew,greekandcoptic},
    force=yes,features=hebrew]
    \setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]
    \starttext
    This Greek letter is printed: ά.\blank

    But this Hebrew letter isn’t: אָֽ​.
    \stoptext

It works for Greek, but it doesn’t work for Hebrew.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: wrong font fallback for Hebrew?
@ 2013-07-25 17:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-25 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.07.2013 um 18:39 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

> Dear list,
>
> using simplefonts (sorry, I don’t know how to do it with the standard
> typescripts [it might fail there too]), I don’t get font fallback
> working for some Hebrew characters.
>
> Here is the sample:
>
>    \usemodule[simplefonts]
>    \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>    \definefontfeature[hebrew][lang=heb,script=hebr]
>    \setmainfontfallback[FreeSerif][range={hebrew,greekandcoptic},
>    force=yes,features=hebrew]
>    \setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]
>    \starttext
>    This Greek letter is printed: ά.\blank
>
>    But this Hebrew letter isn’t: אָֽ​.
>    \stoptext
>
> It works for Greek, but it doesn’t work for Hebrew.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

The characters isn’t in one of the specified fallback ranges, you have to add “alphabeticpresentationforms” to the list.

Look at the block entry in the table: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/fb2f/index.htm

Wolfgang

* Re: wrong font fallback for Hebrew?
@ 2013-07-25 17:38   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25/07/13 19:16, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 25.07.2013 um 18:39 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> using simplefonts (sorry, I don’t know how to do it with the standard
>> typescripts [it might fail there too]), I don’t get font fallback
>> working for some Hebrew characters.
>> [...]
>> Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>
> The characters isn’t in one of the specified fallback ranges, you have to add “alphabeticpresentationforms” to the list.
>
> Look at the block entry in the table: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/fb2f/index.htm

Many thanks for your really helpful reply, Wolfgang.

I have been searching for something similar, but I wasn’t able to find it.

Alphabetic presentation forms also contain Latin ligatures (ff, fi, fl, ffi,
ffl, ſt, st), ConTeXt seems not to be affected by this.

Many thanks again for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk