From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Path problems w/ MkIV on Arch Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:40:42 +0200	[thread overview]

On 8/1/2013 5:59 AM, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Thanks, Hans ...
>
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> On 7/31/2013 10:51 PM, Matt Gushee wrote:
>
>>> code, so unless there are serious bugs, I want to use the version
>>> included with TexLive. At any rate, that's what I currently have and
>>> am trying to use. But I am running into issues with files not being
>>> found, e.g.:
>>
>> as a start you could try the distribution from the garden; at least it's a
>> good way to figure out if there is something fishy with your system
>
> Okay, I've installed that, and it works fine ... though I had a small
> glitch along the way that gives me an idea about what the problem may
> be with the TeXLive version. More about that below.
>
>> in the reported 'tree' files in the cache you can check if files like
>> context.mkiv are present
>
> They weren't.
>
>> mtxrun --variables
>> mtxrun --expansions
>
> Actually, I had already tried that, but I didn't fully understand the
> output. Here's an example:
>
> resolvers       | lists | LUAINPUTS
> resolvers       | lists |   env: unset
> resolvers       | lists |   var: .;$TEXINPUTS;$TEXMF/scripts/context/lua//
> resolvers       | lists |   exp:
> ..;.;{home:texmf,!!selfautoparent:texmf-project,!!selfautoparent:texmf-fonts,!!/usr{/local}/share/texmf,!!selfautoparent:texmf-context,!!selfautoparent:texmf-linux,!!selfautoparent:texmf-dist,!!selfautoparent:texmf-dist}/tex/{context,plain/base,generic}//;{home:texmf,!!selfautoparent:texmf-project,!!selfautoparent:texmf-fonts,!!/usr{/local}/share/texmf,!!selfautoparent:texmf-context,!!selfautoparent:texmf-linux,!!selfautoparent:texmf-dist,!!selfautoparent:texmf-dist}/scripts/context/lua//
> resolvers       | lists |   res:
> ..;.;{/home/matt/texmf,!!./texmf-project,!!./texmf-fonts,!!/usr{/local}/share/texmf,!!./texmf-context,!!./texmf-linux,!!./texmf-dist,!!./texmf-dist}/tex/{context,plain/base,generic}//;{/home/matt/texmf,!!./texmf-project,!!./texmf-fonts,!!/usr{/local}/share/texmf,!!./texmf-context,!!./texmf-linux,!!./texmf-dist,!!./texmf-dist}/scripts/context/lua/
>
> Are the 'selfautoparent' references supposed to be resolved to
> specific paths? If so, it certainly appears something was wrong here.

indeed. these prefixes make trees and setups relocatable

>> so no file database is present or the database has not all files
>
> It was the latter, I suspect due to incorrect path settings in the config file.
>
>> does arch-linux use stock texlive or do they adapt it
>
> There are a few, seemingly minor tweaks. There are three patches, all
> for luatex:
>
>    poppler-0.20.patch
>    fix-fontforge-encoding.patch
>    luatex-r4449-radical-rule-thickness.patch
>
> However, these all seem to deal with small graphics/fonts issues and
> have no apparent relationship to finding files. There is also a
> customized texmf.cnf, but NOT a customized texmfcnf.lua. I think
> that's significant.

ok, so maybe there's a difference there

> I said above that I ran into a minor problem when I installed the
> Contextgarden package. What happened was that I saw two ../bin
> directories: /opt/context/bin and /opt/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin .
> At first I thought /opt/context/bin was meant to be used, so I added
> both directories to my PATH [/opt/context/bin was first]. But that
> produced errors. Then I removed /opt/context/bin from PATH, and
> everything was fine. So I think I see what's going on: since many of
> the path settings in texmfcnf.lua use 'selfauto*' variables, and
> correct resolution of those depends on where the executables are
> located. So I suspect that the default config file that comes with
> ConTeXt in TeXLive assumes that the executables are ... I'm not sure
> where, but somewhere other than /usr/bin . I could probably fix that,
> but it would take me a while to figure out the correct values.

the opt/context/bin path is used by the first-setup script (that also
does updates) so it should not be in the PATH variable

> Anyway, at this point I'm seriously thinking about just forgetting
> TeXLive and using the standalone ConTeXt package. I doubt I'll be
> using any other TeX packages in the near future, and I'd rather spend
> time creating documents than tinkering with config files. Is there
> anything in TeXLive that's particularly useful with ConTeXt, that is
> not included in the ConTeXt package?

the garden distribution is the most complete (although tex live has
complete snapshots and can be updated too) ... the advantage of the
garden distribution is that you also get the most relevant fonts installed

if you only use mkiv (luatex) then you can do an initial install with
--engine=luatex and you get less files (it must be done when installing
so that updating also uses this minimal setting; pdftex has many -small-
font files and xetex big binaries)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE