* Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-19 10:20 Martin Moncrieffe
From: Martin Moncrieffe @ 2013-08-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hopefully, this is the correct list for this question.  I'm trying to typeset documents using the font Hoefler on MacOSX (10.8.4) with ConTeXt 2013.05.28 from the TeXlive 2013 distribution.  All works, but unfortunately, em dashes are not typeset correctly; there are three dashes instead of a continuous line.  I'm obviously missing something and would appreciate help in correcting this.

A minimal example that produces the error is:

\usetypescriptfile[osx]
\usetypescript[hoefler]
\setupbodyfont[hoefler,11pt]

\starttext

A test of Hoefler at 10 pt. The  emdash--- does not work...

\stoptext

files are compiled using "context myfile.tex"

Thanks.
__martin.

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20  8:33 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-20  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–19 Martin Moncrieffe wrote:

> Hopefully, this is the correct list for this question.  I'm trying
> to typeset documents using the font Hoefler on MacOSX (10.8.4)
> with ConTeXt 2013.05.28 from the TeXlive 2013 distribution.  All
> works, but unfortunately, em dashes are not typeset correctly;
> there are three dashes instead of a continuous line.

The font (at least my version) does not contain an em dash in slot
U+2014.

> I'm obviously missing something and would appreciate help in correcting this.

It rather seems that not you, but the font is missing something.

> A minimal example that produces the error is:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[osx]
> \usetypescript[hoefler]
> \setupbodyfont[hoefler,11pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> A test of Hoefler at 10 pt. The  emdash--- does not work...
>
> \stoptext
>

> files are compiled using "context myfile.tex"

I get the same result here. However, if I compile with

  context --jit myfile.tex

I get Latin Modern instead of Hoefler. From the log file:

  fonts  > defining > font with asked name 'hoeflertext' is not found using lookup 'name'
  fonts  > defining > unknown font 'hoeflertext', loading aborted
  fonts  > defining > unable to define 'hoeflertext' as 'hoefler-12pt-rm-tf-0--0'

The font is there:

  mtxrun --script fonts --list --all hoefler

  hoeflertext          hoeflertext   /home/marco/.fonts/HoeflerText.otf
  hoeflertextnormal    hoeflertext   /home/marco/.fonts/HoeflerText.otf
  hoeflertextregular   hoeflertext   /home/marco/.fonts/HoeflerText.otf

Why does the font lookup differ between luatex and luajittex?

Hoefler Version: OTF 1.0;PS 001.001;Core 116;AOCW 1.0 161

Marco

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20  9:52   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-20  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–20 Marco Patzer wrote:

> On 2013–08–19 Martin Moncrieffe wrote:
>
> > Hopefully, this is the correct list for this question.  I'm trying
> > to typeset documents using the font Hoefler on MacOSX (10.8.4)
> > with ConTeXt 2013.05.28 from the TeXlive 2013 distribution.  All
> > works, but unfortunately, em dashes are not typeset correctly;
> > there are three dashes instead of a continuous line.
>
> The font (at least my version) does not contain an em dash in slot
> U+2014.

I checked a different version of the font (1.000) and it works. It
seems you're using a version not containing an em dash.

> I get the same result here. However, if I compile with
>
>   context --jit myfile.tex
>
> I get Latin Modern instead of Hoefler. From the log file:
>
>   fonts  > defining > font with asked name 'hoeflertext' is not found using lookup 'name'
>   fonts  > defining > unknown font 'hoeflertext', loading aborted
>   fonts  > defining > unable to define 'hoeflertext' as 'hoefler-12pt-rm-tf-0--0'

This problem persists. Can someone reproduce this?

Marco

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 11:02     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-08-20 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.08.2013 um 11:52 schrieb Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info>:

> On 2013–08–20 Marco Patzer wrote:
>
>> On 2013–08–19 Martin Moncrieffe wrote:
>>
>>> Hopefully, this is the correct list for this question.  I'm trying
>>> to typeset documents using the font Hoefler on MacOSX (10.8.4)
>>> with ConTeXt 2013.05.28 from the TeXlive 2013 distribution.  All
>>> works, but unfortunately, em dashes are not typeset correctly;
>>> there are three dashes instead of a continuous line.
>>
>> The font (at least my version) does not contain an em dash in slot
>> U+2014.
>
> I checked a different version of the font (1.000) and it works. It
> seems you're using a version not containing an em dash.

I can reproduce Martins problem but when I write – (Alt + -) and — (Alt + Shift + -)
both symbols appear in the output.

I checked the font (Hoefler Text.ttc on Mac OS 10.8.4) and it contains a emdash
at slot 2014 but its named “emdash.standard”. There is also a character with
the name “emdash” in the font at slot F0010.

>> I get the same result here. However, if I compile with
>>
>>  context --jit myfile.tex
>>
>> I get Latin Modern instead of Hoefler. From the log file:
>>
>>  fonts  > defining > font with asked name 'hoeflertext' is not found using lookup 'name'
>>  fonts  > defining > unknown font 'hoeflertext', loading aborted
>>  fonts  > defining > unable to define 'hoeflertext' as 'hoefler-12pt-rm-tf-0--0'
>
> This problem persists. Can someone reproduce this?

Fails here with the following error message:

mtx-context     | redirect texlua -> luajittex: luajittex --luaonly "/Users/wolf/context/beta/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun" --script context --jit test.tex --redirectedCan't create the Lua state.

Wolfgang

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 11:10     ` Martin Moncrieffe
From: Martin Moncrieffe @ 2013-08-20 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marko,

On 20 Aug 2013, at 10:52, Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info> wrote:

> I checked a different version of the font (1.000) and it works. It
> seems you're using a version not containing an em dash.

Thanks for looking into this. Finder reports that my version of Hoefler is 8.0d2e1. Interestingly, bringing up the font panel, selecting Hoefler text followed by show characters (gear wheel in bottom left of font panel), shows the the em dash is present in the font.

Additionally, the following, typeset with lualatex, uses hoefler and does have the emdash. The resulting pdf file when intorrogated using pdffont  reports

> pdffont lat_hoef.pdf
 HoeflerText-Regular (Type0)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont
[Scale=1.05,ItalicFeatures={Contextuals={NoLineFinal,NoLineInitial}}]
{Hoefler Text}

\begin{document}

This is hoefler at 10pt. This is an em dash---ok!

\end{document}

So, is there something wrong with the ConTeXt mapping?

__martin

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 11:51       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-20 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–20 Martin Moncrieffe wrote:

> Finder reports that my version of Hoefler is 8.0d2e1.

This means we already have three different Hoefler versions in this
thread.

> […] shows the the em dash is present in the font.

When I use a version with em dash, your example works here. Someone
using a Mac is probably in a better position to help out.

You can also try to use simplefonts, it works for me:

\usemodule [simplefonts]
\setmainfont [Hoefler-Text]

@ 2013-08-20 12:00       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-08-20 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Am 20.08.2013 um 11:52 schrieb Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info>:

>>> The font (at least my version) does not contain an em dash in slot
>>> U+2014.
>>
>> I checked a different version of the font (1.000) and it works. It
>> seems you're using a version not containing an em dash.
>
> I can reproduce Martins problem but when I write – (Alt + -) and — (Alt + Shift + -)
> both symbols appear in the output.
>
> I checked the font (Hoefler Text.ttc on Mac OS 10.8.4) and it contains a emdash
> at slot 2014 but its named “emdash.standard”. There is also a character with
> the name “emdash” in the font at slot F0010.

great ... another non standard use of names ... in a few years open type
will be as big a mess as type one

you can play with:

local tlig = {
  -- endash        = "hyphen hyphen",
  -- emdash        = "hyphen hyphen hyphen",
     [0x2013]      = { 0x002D, 0x002D },
     [0x2014]      = { 0x002D, 0x002D, 0x002D },
  -- quotedblleft  = "quoteleft quoteleft",
  -- quotedblright = "quoteright quoteright",
  -- quotedblleft  = "grave grave",
  -- quotedblright = "quotesingle quotesingle",
  -- quotedblbase  = "comma comma",
}

in font-otc.lua (remake the format and wipe the font cache)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 12:00         ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2013-08-20 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't think it's the font. I have been trying to produce an em dash
using the latest stable release from contextgarden.net, with a couple
of different fonts--Alegreya, which is a free OpenType font, Latin
Modern, and one other that I don't remember. In my case, regardless of
the font, \emdash works but --- does not.

--
Matt Gushee

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info> wrote:
> On 2013–08–20 Martin Moncrieffe wrote:
>
>> Finder reports that my version of Hoefler is 8.0d2e1.
>
> This means we already have three different Hoefler versions in this
> thread.
>
>> […] shows the the em dash is present in the font.
>
> When I use a version with em dash, your example works here. Someone
> using a Mac is probably in a better position to help out.
>
> You can also try to use simplefonts, it works for me:
>
> \usemodule [simplefonts]
> \setmainfont [Hoefler-Text]
>
> \starttext
>   A test of Hoefler at 10 pt. The  emdash--- does not work...
> \stoptext
>

> Marco

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 12:07           ` Martin Moncrieffe
From: Martin Moncrieffe @ 2013-08-20 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Matt,

On 20 Aug 2013, at 13:00, Matt Gushee <matt@gushee.net> wrote:

> I don't think it's the font. I have been trying to produce an em dash
> using the latest stable release from contextgarden.net, with a couple
> of different fonts--Alegreya, which is a free OpenType font, Latin
> Modern, and one other that I don't remember. In my case, regardless of
> the font, \emdash works but --- does not.

Thanks! I can confirm that \emdash works perfectly with the minimal example I posted.

Cheers.

__martin

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 12:16             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-08-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/20/2013 2:07 PM, Martin Moncrieffe wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On 20 Aug 2013, at 13:00, Matt Gushee <matt@gushee.net
> <mailto:matt@gushee.net>> wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's the font. I have been trying to produce an em dash
>> using the latest stable release from contextgarden.net
>> <http://contextgarden.net/>, with a couple
>> of different fonts--Alegreya, which is a free OpenType font, Latin
>> Modern, and one other that I don't remember. In my case, regardless of
>> the font, \emdash works but --- does not.
>
> Thanks! I can confirm that \emdash works perfectly with the minimal
> example I posted.

     \startlines
         first: –\space —
         second: --\space ---
         third: \endash \space \emdash
     \stoplines

-- and --- are pseudo ligatures that use the tlig feature which is added
to each font automatically but depends to some extent to how the font
has glyphs defined

anyway, using --- is not something recommended

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Em dash using Hoefler
@ 2013-08-20 12:25         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2013-08-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 02:00:16PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> great ... another non standard use of names

There are no standard glyph names for TrueType/OpenType fonts. AGL is
completely optional, and is not part of any standard. Fonts can, and do,
use names that does not follow AGL (or no names at all, but LuaTeX’s
fontloader will probably synthesize names in this case).

Regards,
Khaled