* section headings on a grid: less space above?
@ 2013-08-23 15:26 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-08-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm using mkii to typeset a document with grid layout. I'm trying to
configure the formatting of the subsection headings.

I have the following setuphead:
\setuphead[subsection][number=no,style={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\subheadersize]},grid=top]

This works successfully in that the lines below the heading are aligned
to the grid.

But what I'm trying to change is the fact that 4 grid lines are taken up
by the heading: approximately two blank lines above, and one below. The
requirement is to use 3 grid lines.

I know how to move the heading text down within the space:
    grid=3pt
does that.

But I can't figure out how to reduce the number of lines above the
heading text.

The document at http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/details.pdf
says that the "top" option (as in grid=top) means "add/remove an extra
line to the top". But in my experimenting, the presence or absence of
"top" seems to make no difference.
I also tried:
grid={broad,low}
grid={fit,low}
grid={line,3pt}
grid=standard
no "grid" setting at all

but none of these seems to reduce the total amount of vertical space
taken up by the heading.

Can somebody tell me how to do this? E.g. how to make the "top" option
"remove an extra line" on top?

Thanks,
Lars

P.S. version:
ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.21 15:21 MKII  fmt: 2009.1.20
but I'm hoping the oldness of the version isn't a factor here.

* Re: section headings on a grid: less space above?
@ 2013-08-24  0:06 ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-08-24  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/23/2013 11:26 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using mkii to typeset a document with grid layout. I'm trying to
> configure the formatting of the subsection headings.

Here is a small, self-contained example showing what I'm talking about:

\definecolumnset [twocol] [n=2,balancing=yes]

\setuphead[subsection][number=no,style=it,grid=top]

\starttext

\startcolumnset[twocol]

\dorecurse {5}{

\subsection{Subsection Heading}

\input knuth

}

\stopcolumnset

\stoptext

When I run this in mkiv, each subsection heading takes up 4 grid lines
of space.
How can I make it take up 3 lines?

(I would also like to lower the placement of the heading text within
that space; grid=3pt or grid={line,3pt} did that in mkii, but doesn't
seem to work in mkiv.)

Thanks,
Lars

* Re: section headings on a grid: less space above?
@ 2013-08-24 13:14   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-24 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–23 Lars Huttar wrote:

> \setuphead[subsection][number=no,style=it,grid=top]

Add

  before={\blank[line]}

Marco

* Re: section headings on a grid: less space above?
@ 2013-08-24 18:52   ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-08-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco wrote,
> On 2013–08–23 Lars Huttar wrote:
>
> >/ \setuphead[subsection][number=no,style=it,grid=top]
> /
> Add
>
>   before={\blank[line]}
>
> Marco

Thank you very much, that worked!
Can you explain how it works?
Does "before=" override the setting of "grid="? Is "before=" at a lower
level?
Yet "before=" must be at a high enough level that the grid-setting code
is able to adjust for it and still preserve the grid alignment...

Regards,
Lars