* LuajitTeX fails to load font
@ 2013-08-23 21:14 Marco Patzer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-23 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

the following example compiles fine with LuaTeX, but LuajitTeX fails
to find the font.

\setupalign[r2l]
\definefont[Sheherazade][name:scheherazade*arabic at 18pt]
\starttext
  \Sheherazade أهلا بالعالم!
\stoptext

fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'scheherazade' is not found using lookup 'name'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'scheherazade', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'scheherazade' as 'Sheherazade--0'

The font is in the font database and regular LuaTeX succeeds.

  mtxrun --script fonts --list -all scheh

  scheherazade         scheherazade   /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf
  scheherazadenormal   scheherazade   /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf

This might be related to the thread from a few days ago:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/83871/focus=83877

Marco

PS: The font can be found here:
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?format=file&media_id=Scheherazade-2.000&filename=Scheherazade-2.000.zip

* Re: LuajitTeX fails to load font
@ 2013-08-23 21:55 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-08-23 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the following example compiles fine with LuaTeX, but LuajitTeX fails
> to find the font.
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \definefont[Sheherazade][name:scheherazade*arabic at 18pt]
> \starttext
>   \Sheherazade أهلا بالعالم!
> \stoptext
>

> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'scheherazade' is not
> found using lookup 'name'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font 'scheherazade', loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define 'scheherazade' as
> 'Sheherazade--0'
>
> The font is in the font database and regular LuaTeX succeeds.
>
>   mtxrun --script fonts --list -all scheh
>
>   scheherazade         scheherazade
> /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf
>   scheherazadenormal   scheherazade
> /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf
>
> This might be related to the thread from a few days ago:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/83871/focus=83877
>
> Marco
>

> PS: The font can be found here:
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?format=file&media_id=Scheherazade-2.000&filename=Scheherazade-2.000.zip
> fix

thanks for the report. Currently I'm not able to  investigate these issues,
I will take them on the first week of September.

* Re: LuajitTeX fails to load font
@ 2013-08-23 22:15 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-23 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013, Marco Patzer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the following example compiles fine with LuaTeX, but LuajitTeX fails
> to find the font.
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \definefont[Sheherazade][name:scheherazade*arabic at 18pt]
> \starttext
>  \Sheherazade أهلا بالعالم!
> \stoptext
>

> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'scheherazade' is not found using lookup 'name'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font 'scheherazade', loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define 'scheherazade' as 'Sheherazade--0'
>
> The font is in the font database and regular LuaTeX succeeds.

I occasionaly have similar troubles with math fonts (font works with
luatex but not with luatexjit or vice versa), but a

     mtxrun --script fonts --reload --force

fixes that.

Aditya

* Re: LuajitTeX fails to load font
@ 2013-08-23 23:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-08-23 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/23/2013 11:14 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the following example compiles fine with LuaTeX, but LuajitTeX fails
> to find the font.
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \definefont[Sheherazade][name:scheherazade*arabic at 18pt]
> \starttext
>    \Sheherazade أهلا بالعالم!
> \stoptext
>

> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'scheherazade' is not found using lookup 'name'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font 'scheherazade', loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define 'scheherazade' as 'Sheherazade--0'
>
> The font is in the font database and regular LuaTeX succeeds.
>
>    mtxrun --script fonts --list -all scheh
>
>    scheherazade         scheherazade   /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf
>    scheherazadenormal   scheherazade   /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf

Hard to say what is the issue but it is not a luajittex issue. We don't
do anything special, for instance jit is turned off because there is no
gain at all (actually with jit enabled, the run is slower). So we only
use the luajit virtual machine (in mkiv).

There is however one difference and that is the compiled lua code: lua
and luajit have incompatible formats (apart from the fact that luatex is
5.2 and luajittex is 5.1++). Normally compilation happens automatically
i.e. when a font is loaded by luatex, context will generate the relevant
compiled file when luajittex is used.

One possibility is that there is some mismatch in version numbers that
gets unnoticed. In such case, as Aditya suggests, wiping the cache is an
option.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-08-24  0:25   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-24  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–24 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hard to say what is the issue but it is not a luajittex issue. We
> don't do anything special, for instance jit is turned off because
> there is no gain at all (actually with jit enabled, the run is
> slower).

I can confirm that. I did not find a real-world document which
compiled faster with jit. Using the virtual machine provides between
8% and 25% speed gain here.

> There is however one difference and that is the compiled lua code:
> lua and luajit have incompatible formats (apart from the fact that
> luatex is 5.2 and luajittex is 5.1++). Normally compilation happens
> automatically i.e. when a font is loaded by luatex, context will
> generate the relevant compiled file when luajittex is used.
>
> One possibility is that there is some mismatch in version numbers
> that gets unnoticed.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

> In such case, as Aditya suggests, wiping the cache is an option.

That helped, indeed.

Marco

* Re: LuajitTeX fails to load font
@ 2013-08-24  0:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-08-24  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/24/2013 2:25 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> On 2013–08–24 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hard to say what is the issue but it is not a luajittex issue. We
>> don't do anything special, for instance jit is turned off because
>> there is no gain at all (actually with jit enabled, the run is
>> slower).
>
> I can confirm that. I did not find a real-world document which
> compiled faster with jit. Using the virtual machine provides between
> 8% and 25% speed gain here.

there is a bit more to gain otherwise (luigi and i will talk about speed
related issues at the context meeting)

>> There is however one difference and that is the compiled lua code:
>> lua and luajit have incompatible formats (apart from the fact that
>> luatex is 5.2 and luajittex is 5.1++). Normally compilation happens
>> automatically i.e. when a font is loaded by luatex, context will
>> generate the relevant compiled file when luajittex is used.
>>
>> One possibility is that there is some mismatch in version numbers
>> that gets unnoticed.
>
> Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

ok, but currently i have no clue

(it might be that there has been a fix without jumping the internal otf
handler version number, in which case a mismatch can go unnoticed and no
recompile happens in the jit variant)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE