* installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-08-31 12:12 Alan Bowen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-08-31 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to install two ConTeXt trees on my laptop, one for work in
progress and another for testing, and to run them using TeXShop (if that is
feasible).

Are there any instructions for this? I have searched the wiki and TeXShop
help files but have not seen anything that indicates how to do this.

I currently have a system-wide installation of the ConTeXt standalone.

Alan

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-08-31 12:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-08-31 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/31/2013 2:12 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> I would like to install two ConTeXt trees on my laptop, one for work in
> progress and another for testing, and to run them using TeXShop (if that
> is feasible).
>
> Are there any instructions for this? I have searched the wiki and
> TeXShop help files but have not seen anything that indicates how to do this.
>
> I currently have a system-wide installation of the ConTeXt standalone.

assuming that mtxrun is not fundamentally changed you can try this:

mtxrun --tree=/data/context/tex      --script context yourfile.tex
mtxrun --tree=/data/context-beta/tex --script context yourfile.tex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-08-31 14:46   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-08-31 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hans. That works from the command line as it should and will be a
great help.

Now to see if these trees can be accessed easily from TeXShop.

All best, Alan

@ 2013-08-31 15:24 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-31 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Alan Bowen wrote:

> I would like to install two ConTeXt trees on my laptop, one for work in
> progress and another for testing, and to run them using TeXShop (if that is
> feasible).
>
> Are there any instructions for this? I have searched the wiki and TeXShop
> help files but have not seen anything that indicates how to do this.

I routinely do this. Lets say you want to install two version of context,
context-beta and context-stable. Then, download and copy first-setup.sh in
both directories, and run:

    cd context-beta && first-setup
    cd context-stable && first-setup --context=current

Now, you can run

    source path-to-context-beta/tex/setuptex && context filename

to compile a file using context beta and

    source path-to-context-stable/tex/setptex && context filename

to compile a file using context stable.

Aditya

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-08-31 15:25     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-31 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now to see if these trees can be accessed easily from TeXShop.

I don't use texshop, but does it allow you to change the command that is
called when ConTeXt is clicked? If so, you can just create two new menu
items with the appropriate commands.

Aditya

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-08-31 17:02   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-08-31 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Aditya. This is very helpful.

Alan

@ 2013-09-01 17:54 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2013-09-01 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

Using TeXShop on MacOS X you can create two files named « mkiv-stable.engine » and « mkiv-testing.engine » and put them in the folder

	Library/TeXShop/Engines

The first file « mkiv-stable.engine » contains the following:
	#!/bin/bash

	source [path-to-your-context-minimal-stable-folder]/tex/setuptex
	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1"

and the second file « mkiv-testing.engine » contains
	#!/bin/bash

	source [path-to-your-context-minimal-testing-folder]/tex/setuptex
	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1"

(personnaly I add also
	rm -f *.tui *.log *.tuo *.xdv *.mp *.tmp *.top *-mpgraph.* *-mpgraph-temp.dvi *.tuc
at the end of each of the files to remove auxiliary files, but you must be careful with removing such files as *.mp…).

Then when you open anew TeXShop, you'll see in a small menu on top of each of your TeX file where you can choose to typeset your file with either mkiv-stable or mkiv-testing.
Or you can add at the top of your TeX file the following line:
	%!TEX TS-program = mkiv-stable
or
	%!TEX TS-program = mkiv-testing

In case you would like to use mkii you should replace the line
	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1"
with
	texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1"
and create an engine file named « mkii.engine »
That's it.
I hope this would be useful to you.
Best regards: OK

@ 2013-09-02 16:14   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-09-02 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Otared! That is very helpful indeed. I now have access to each of
the ConTeXt trees via TeXShop—and a sensible way to explore why the ConTeXt
betas since August 5 have not worked so well with my files.

All best, Alan

@ 2013-09-02 21:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-02 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/2/2013 6:14 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:

>     (personnaly I add also
>              rm -f *.tui *.log *.tuo *.xdv *.mp *.tmp *.top *-mpgraph.*
>     *-mpgraph-temp.dvi *.tuc
>     at the end of each of the files to remove auxiliary files, but you
>     must be careful with removing such files as *.mp…).

--purge

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-09-03  7:31       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2013-09-03  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 sept. 2013, at 23:44, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 9/2/2013 6:14 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>
>>    (personnaly I add also
>>             rm -f *.tui *.log *.tuo *.xdv *.mp *.tmp *.top *-mpgraph.*
>>    *-mpgraph-temp.dvi *.tuc
>>    at the end of each of the files to remove auxiliary files, but you
>>    must be careful with removing such files as *.mp…).
>
> --purge

Thanks Hans for your attention, but saying
	texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge

or
	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge

removes also the synctex.gz file and one loses the synctex functionality which is essential for me.

Best regards: OK

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-09-03  8:50         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-03  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/3/2013 9:31 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 2 sept. 2013, at 23:44, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 9/2/2013 6:14 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>>
>>>     (personnaly I add also
>>>              rm -f *.tui *.log *.tuo *.xdv *.mp *.tmp *.top *-mpgraph.*
>>>     *-mpgraph-temp.dvi *.tuc
>>>     at the end of each of the files to remove auxiliary files, but you
>>>     must be careful with removing such files as *.mp…).
>>
>> --purge
>
> Thanks Hans for your attention, but saying
> 	texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>
> or
> 	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>
> removes also the synctex.gz file and one loses the synctex functionality which is essential for me.

i've added a test: if --synctex is given or the first line has

% synctex=zipped|unzipped|1|-1|yes

then the synctex file is not deleted

(not really tested as i never use synctex but it looks like it works ok)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-09-03 13:08           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2013-09-03 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 sept. 2013, at 10:50, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 9/3/2013 9:31 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:
>> […]
>> Thanks Hans for your attention, but saying
>> 	texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>>
>> or
>> 	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>>
>> removes also the synctex.gz file and one loses the synctex functionality which is essential for me.
>
> i've added a test: if --synctex is given or the first line has
>
> % synctex=zipped|unzipped|1|-1|yes
>
> then the synctex file is not deleted

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the quick modification…
I tested the new beta, and indeed using mkiv and
	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge

the synctex.gz file is not anymore deleted (however a utility file [file-name].tuc remains).

I noticed also that using mkii and
	texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge

does delete the synctex.gz file, but this is expected since mkii is frozen and no change has effect ont it.

Best regards: OK

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-09-03 17:14             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-03 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 3 sept. 2013, at 10:50, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2013 9:31 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:
>>> […]
>>> Thanks Hans for your attention, but saying
>>> 	texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>>>
>>> or
>>> 	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>>>
>>> removes also the synctex.gz file and one loses the synctex functionality which is essential for me.
>>
>> i've added a test: if --synctex is given or the first line has
>>
>> % synctex=zipped|unzipped|1|-1|yes
>>
>> then the synctex file is not deleted
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for the quick modification…
> I tested the new beta, and indeed using mkiv and
> 	context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1" --purge
>
> the synctex.gz file is not anymore deleted (however a utility file [file-name].tuc remains).

That (not deleting tuc file) is delebrate (as it saves time in successive
runs). If you want to delete the tuc file, you can use --purgeall instead
of --purge.

Aditya

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-09-04  7:05               ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2013-09-04  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 sept. 2013, at 19:14, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

>> […]
>> the synctex.gz file is not anymore deleted (however a utility file [file-name].tuc remains).
>
> That (not deleting tuc file) is delebrate (as it saves time in successive runs). If you want to delete the tuc file, you can use --purgeall instead of --purge.

Thanks Aditya: actually that utility file .tuc can be deleted for some situations (for instance when one does a small test) and kept for others.
Maybe for those who do not use ConTeXt from a Terminal, but rather from editors like TeXShop or TeXWorks, one could have a feature to pass typesetting options to mkiv, for instance like a \setuptypesetting command, to be put in the first five lines of a document, which accepts various parameters such as for example
	\setuptypesetting[purge=yes,synctex={yes,zipped},engine=mkiv]

to pass options to mkiv. But this is probably too complicated.

Best regards: OK

* Re: installing two ConTeXt trees
@ 2013-09-04  7:32                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-04  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/4/2013 9:05 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 3 sept. 2013, at 19:14, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>>> […]
>>> the synctex.gz file is not anymore deleted (however a utility file [file-name].tuc remains).
>>
>> That (not deleting tuc file) is delebrate (as it saves time in successive runs). If you want to delete the tuc file, you can use --purgeall instead of --purge.
>
> Thanks Aditya: actually that utility file .tuc can be deleted for some situations (for instance when one does a small test) and kept for others.
> Maybe for those who do not use ConTeXt from a Terminal, but rather from editors like TeXShop or TeXWorks, one could have a feature to pass typesetting options to mkiv, for instance like a \setuptypesetting command, to be put in the first five lines of a document, which accepts various parameters such as for example
> 	\setuptypesetting[purge=yes,synctex={yes,zipped},engine=mkiv]
>
> to pass options to mkiv. But this is probably too complicated.

the job is already running and one needs tex to parse such commands

there are two ways (rather old features btw) to control a job:

- some directives can be given on the first line of a file

- you can make a jobname.ctx file (there are a few examples in the
distribution)

the last one is the most flexible as there can be a file per job or a
shared one

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-09-04  8:36                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-04  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/4/2013 9:05 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 3 sept. 2013, at 19:14, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>>> […]
>>> the synctex.gz file is not anymore deleted (however a utility file [file-name].tuc remains).
>>
>> That (not deleting tuc file) is delebrate (as it saves time in successive runs). If you want to delete the tuc file, you can use --purgeall instead of --purge.
>
> Thanks Aditya: actually that utility file .tuc can be deleted for some situations (for instance when one does a small test) and kept for others.
> Maybe for those who do not use ConTeXt from a Terminal, but rather from editors like TeXShop or TeXWorks, one could have a feature to pass typesetting options to mkiv, for instance like a \setuptypesetting command, to be put in the first five lines of a document, which accepts various parameters such as for example
> 	\setuptypesetting[purge=yes,synctex={yes,zipped},engine=mkiv]
>
> to pass options to mkiv. But this is probably too complicated.

as an experiment i now also check the preamble for a ctxfile specification

make a file "preferences.ctx", put it someplace in the tree and run
mtxrun --generate:

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>

<ctx:job>
     <ctx:message>default flags</ctx:message>
     <ctx:flags>
         <ctx:flag>purge</ctx:flag>
         <ctx:flag>synctex=zipped</ctx:flag>
     </ctx:flags>
</ctx:job>

then you can say:

% ctxfile=preferences

\starttext
   whatever
\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-09-06 17:04                   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2013-09-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for this new feature for passing optional flags to the mkiv engine: I tested it on TeXShop and from a Terminal command line, and evrything works as expected.
I wikified your instructions,
	http://wiki.contextgarden.net/purge_aux_files
but I wonder whether I chose the right title for that page (purge aux files).

Best regards: OK

@ 2013-09-06 20:28                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/6/2013 7:04 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for this new feature for passing optional flags to the mkiv engine: I tested it on TeXShop and from a Terminal command line, and evrything works as expected.
> I wikified your instructions,
> 	http://wiki.contextgarden.net/purge_aux_files

thanks

> but I wonder whether I chose the right title for that page (purge aux files).

sietse keeps an eye on such matters so unless he complains it's ok

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE