* \underbar problem
@ 2013-09-05 15:43 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-09-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a lengthy document, \underbar occasionally has no effect. From the wiki,
I have learned that this can be rectified using
\inframed[frame=off]{\underbar{….}}. The problem is that this only works
for short text: lengthy text, say a paragraph, gets printed as a single
line.

Is there a way (a key?) that will allow \underbar to work with \inframed or
perhaps another way of getting \underbar to work 100% of the time?

Alan

* Re: \underbar problem
@ 2013-09-06 16:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-06 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/5/2013 5:43 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> In a lengthy document, \underbar occasionally has no effect. From the
> wiki, I have learned that this can be rectified using
> \inframed[frame=off]{\underbar{….}}. The problem is that this only works
> for short text: lengthy text, say a paragraph, gets printed as a single
> line.
>
> Is there a way (a key?) that will allow \underbar to work with \inframed
> or perhaps another way of getting \underbar to work 100% of the time?

no example ?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \underbar problem
@ 2013-09-06 20:51   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-09-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, Hans—I had thought that it would be very complicated to produce one,
but actually it was easy:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[Antykwa-Poltawskiego][protrusion=pure,
expansion=quality,
mode=node,
              script=latn,
smallcaps]

\setupalign[hanging,hz]

\starttext

\underbar{\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}}

\stoptext

Note from the wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/overstrike):

If you are using microtypography with \setupalign[hz,hanging], then with
some fonts the rule may end up off-target, above the characters instead of
through them. (The problem was experienced with Linux Libertine and mkiv,
and not with Latin Modern.) The workarounds are:

   - Put the overstriked text in a \inframed[frame=off]{}.

As with \overstrike, with \underbar “off target” can mean “nowhere”.

\underbar and Latin Modern witrh microtypography works but not \underbar
and Antykwa-Poltawskiego—unless one turns off microtypography.

So, if I must use \inframed—can I get it to allow for proper
linebreaking/paragraphing?

Alan

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 9/5/2013 5:43 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>
>> In a lengthy document, \underbar occasionally has no effect. From the
>> wiki, I have learned that this can be rectified using
>> \inframed[frame=off]{\**underbar{….}}. The problem is that this only
>> works
>> for short text: lengthy text, say a paragraph, gets printed as a single
>> line.
>>
>> Is there a way (a key?) that will allow \underbar to work with \inframed
>> or perhaps another way of getting \underbar to work 100% of the time?
>>

> no example ?
>
> Hans
>
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**-----
>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: \underbar problem
@ 2013-09-06 21:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/6/2013 10:51 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Sorry, Hans—I had thought that it would be very complicated to produce
> one, but actually it was easy:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Antykwa-Poltawskiego][protrusion=pure,
> expansion=quality,
> mode=node,
> script=latn,
> smallcaps]
>
> \setupalign[hanging,hz]
>
> \starttext
>
> \underbar{\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Note from the wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/overstrike):
>
>     If you are using microtypography with |\setupalign[hz,hanging]|,
>     then with some fonts the rule may end up off-target, above the
>     characters instead of through them. (The problem was experienced
>     with Linux Libertine and mkiv, and not with Latin Modern.) The
>     workarounds are:
>
>       o Put the overstriked text in a |\inframed[frame=off]{}|.
>

> As with \overstrike, with \underbar “off target” can mean “nowhere”.
>
> \underbar and Latin Modern witrh microtypography works but not \underbar
> and Antykwa-Poltawskiego—unless one turns off microtypography.
>

> So, if I must use \inframed—can I get it to allow for proper
> linebreaking/paragraphing?

hm, it relates to hz, which is weird as that is only messign with
characters ... (i must admit that i never use that)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \underbar problem
@ 2013-09-07 11:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-07 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/6/2013 10:51 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Sorry, Hans—I had thought that it would be very complicated to produce
> one, but actually it was easy:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Antykwa-Poltawskiego][protrusion=pure,
> expansion=quality,
> mode=node,
> script=latn,
> smallcaps]