From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: EPUB XHTML Format
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:07:10 +0200	[thread overview]

On 9/6/2013 10:20 PM, Thangalin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     The best reader imho is iBooks on the iPad, nothing else, from what
>     I've seen, comes close. But that is one expensive eReader. :(
>

> We'll just have everybody in the world who has a Kindle, Kobo, or other
> reader exchange their existing hardware, and then purchase an iPad plus
> iBook. Problem solved? ;-)
>
>     ConTeXT TeX reading xml -> export -> optional transform -> EPUB + CSS*
>     you want 'direct epub html from context' (no xslt) but on the other
>     hand use xslt to map onto context while context can do xml directly
>     ... chicken egg
>

> Well, given that ConTeXt doesn't actually produce validating EPUB
> documents, I suspect not many people will actually use that feature.
> It's great in theory, but if it produces books that don't actually work
> on the Kindle or Kobo, then it's unusable in practice -- never mind not
> being able to add the books to online marketplaces (such as Amazon)
> because, again, the output does not validate.

context doesn't produce epub (which at this moment is so floating that i
would keep updating, which is fine if i'd use it myself or in projects
at pragma, but not for the sake of keeping up) but does an export to xml
(*.export)

as a bonus it can output some extra stuff so that in a browser that can
deal with xml+css (and a few xhtml tags for hyperlinks) we can preview

then there is mtx-epub that can make an epub but that is a moving target
(at some point we stopped extending waiting for a decent standard)

so, i'd never claim that context produces epub but it can be used in a
workflow that involves epub as it outputs xml which can be transformed

supporting all variants of epub in the backend would be the same as
hardcoding all kind of xml dts in the frontend (docbook, tei, whatever);
instead we provide a general xml handler and a general xml export

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE