* mtx-context - extraordinarily quiet mode
@ 2013-09-28 20:21 Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2013-09-28 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I ran the following:

context --noconsole --batchmode --nonstopmode filename.tex

This wrote information to the console:

    This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013040516 (rev 4627)
     \write18 enabled.
    Underfull \hbox (badness 2401) in paragraph at lines 464--464
    ... lots more output ...
    system          | total runtime: 1.962

How do you prevent ConTeXt from writing anything whatsoever to the console?

Kind regards.

* Re: mtx-context - extraordinarily quiet mode
@ 2013-09-29  0:43 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-29  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013, Thangalin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ran the following:
>
> context --noconsole --batchmode --nonstopmode filename.tex
>
> This wrote information to the console:
>
>    This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013040516 (rev 4627)
>     \write18 enabled.
>    Underfull \hbox (badness 2401) in paragraph at lines 464--464
>    ... lots more output ...
>    system          | total runtime: 1.962
>
> How do you prevent ConTeXt from writing anything whatsoever to the console?

context --batchmode filename > /dev/null

:-)

Aditya

* Re: mtx-context - extraordinarily quiet mode
@ 2013-09-29  4:15   ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2013-09-29  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Aditya.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking about it in terms of
optimization. Sometimes when a program's debug/logging mode is
disabled, the program executes faster. (In the old days just writing
to standard out was enough to make a program grind to a crawl.)

I could not find a wiki page on optimizing the compiler -- are there
any other tricks to making compiles faster?

Kindest regards.

* Re: mtx-context - extraordinarily quiet mode
@ 2013-09-29  7:38   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-29  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/29/2013 2:43 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013, Thangalin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I ran the following:
>>
>> context --noconsole --batchmode --nonstopmode filename.tex
>>
>> This wrote information to the console:
>>
>>    This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013040516 (rev 4627)
>>     \write18 enabled.
>>    Underfull \hbox (badness 2401) in paragraph at lines 464--464
>>    ... lots more output ...
>>    system          | total runtime: 1.962
>>
>> How do you prevent ConTeXt from writing anything whatsoever to the
>> console?
>
> context --batchmode filename > /dev/null
>
> :-)

\dontcomplain also helps

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-09-29  7:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-29  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/29/2013 6:15 AM, Thangalin wrote:
> Thank you, Aditya.
>
> I should have mentioned that I was thinking about it in terms of
> optimization. Sometimes when a program's debug/logging mode is
> disabled, the program executes faster. (In the old days just writing
> to standard out was enough to make a program grind to a crawl.)
>
> I could not find a wiki page on optimizing the compiler -- are there
> any other tricks to making compiles faster?

batchmode can make run tex a bit faster

logging itself is already quite efficient in context

(the speed of consoles / terminals is a factor but normally one can set
up that bit to be efficient as well - refresh delays and such)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE