* Windows ConTeXt shows crappy font metrics and font size
@ 2013-10-10  4:58 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2013-10-10  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have the following sample:

    \usemodule[simplefonts]
    \setmainfont[Gill Sans MT]
    \setsansfont[Arial Narrow]
    \starttext
    \input knuth\par
    \ss\input knuth
    \stoptext

It works right in Linux (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.pdf and
http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.log), but it shows crappy font metrics and
size in Windows (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.pdf and
http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.log).

Both use a beta from 07/10/2013 and the Windows version was downloaded
in Linux.

Isn”t this a bug?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Windows ConTeXt shows crappy font metrics and font size
@ 2013-10-10  7:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-10  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/10/2013 6:58 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>      \usemodule[simplefonts]
>      \setmainfont[Gill Sans MT]
>      \setsansfont[Arial Narrow]
>      \starttext
>      \input knuth\par
>      \ss\input knuth
>      \stoptext
>
> It works right in Linux (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.pdf and
> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.log), but it shows crappy font metrics and
> size in Windows (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.pdf and
> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.log).
>
> Both use a beta from 07/10/2013 and the Windows version was downloaded
> in Linux.
>
> Isn”t this a bug?

Normally that's an indication that the units are unknown. They are
different fontfiles so you cannot compare their behaviour. You can try
renaming the wrong ttf to otf.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-10 15:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-10 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/10/2013 9:18 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 6:58 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I have the following sample:
>>
>>      \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>      \setmainfont[Gill Sans MT]
>>      \setsansfont[Arial Narrow]
>>      \starttext
>>      \input knuth\par
>>      \ss\input knuth
>>      \stoptext
>>
>> It works right in Linux (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.pdf and
>> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.log), but it shows crappy font metrics and
>> size in Windows (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.pdf and
>> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.log).
>>
>> Both use a beta from 07/10/2013 and the Windows version was downloaded
>> in Linux.
>>
>> Isn”t this a bug?
>
> Normally that's an indication that the units are unknown. They are
> different fontfiles so you cannot compare their behaviour. You can try
> renaming the wrong ttf to otf.

thanks to luigi testing to the extreme with these files we figured out
that we can catch the issue (more checking at the context end, maybe
some day some better checking at the luatex backend end)

so, the upcoming beta might work beta, which doesn't mean that one
should be sloppy with filenames (as mixed usage of foo.TTF FOO.TTF
FOO.ttf foo.ttf will for sure have side effects) .. one reason why i
often lowercase font filenames and keep 'm all in texmf-fonts

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-10 16:02     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 10/10/2013 9:18 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/2013 6:58 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I have the following sample:
>>>
>>>      \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>>      \setmainfont[Gill Sans MT]
>>>      \setsansfont[Arial Narrow]
>>>      \starttext
>>>      \input knuth\par
>>>      \ss\input knuth
>>>      \stoptext
>>>
>>> It works right in Linux (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.**pdf<http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.pdf>and
>>> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.**log <http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.log>),
>>> but it shows crappy font metrics and
>>> size in Windows (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.**pdf<http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.pdf>and
>>> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.log**).
>>>
>>> Both use a beta from 07/10/2013 and the Windows version was downloaded
>>> in Linux.
>>>
>>> Isn”t this a bug?
>>>

>> Normally that's an indication that the units are unknown. They are
>> different fontfiles so you cannot compare their behaviour. You can try
>> renaming the wrong ttf to otf.
>>

> thanks to luigi testing to the extreme with these files we figured out
> that we can catch the issue (more checking at the context end, maybe some
> day some better checking at the luatex backend end)
>
> so, the upcoming beta might work beta, which doesn't mean that one should
> be sloppy with filenames (as mixed usage of foo.TTF FOO.TTF FOO.ttf foo.ttf
> will for sure have side effects) .. one reason why i often lowercase font
> filenames and keep 'm all in texmf-fonts

This is also my way.
In this case I rename ARIALN.TTF in arialn.ttf, put it into the mkiv
standalone, and  keep ARIALN.TTF in a separate folder of the project. If
someone ask me for the font , I give
ARIALN.TTF, but I used arialn.ttf in the pdf.
The reason is that I keep separate OS fonts from the fonts of the projects
--- I can move the projects in different machines, I can update OS etc.
Of course there are also licensing issues to consider, but I consider it a
robust way.

--
luigi

* Re: Windows ConTeXt shows crappy font metrics and font size
@ 2013-10-15 17:11     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2013-10-15 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/10/2013 05:51 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 9:18 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 10/10/2013 6:58 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> It works right in Linux (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.pdf and
>>> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-linux.log), but it shows crappy font metrics and
>>> size in Windows (http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.pdf and
>>> http://www.ousia.tk/gs-win.log).
>>
>> Normally that's an indication that the units are unknown. They are
>> different fontfiles so you cannot compare their behaviour. You can try
>> renaming the wrong ttf to otf.
>
> thanks to luigi testing to the extreme with these files we figured out
> that we can catch the issue (more checking at the context end, maybe
> some day some better checking at the luatex backend end)

Many thanks for the fix, Hans.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk