* interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 11:32 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-23 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just attended a talk about pdf2htmlEX at the tug 2013 conference ...
this looks quite interesting ...

    http://coolwanglu.github.io/pdf2htmlEX/

    http://soft.rubypdf.com/software/pdf2htmlex-windows-version

It works (mostly) ok on even complex context manuals like metafun-s.pdf
and fonts-mkiv.pdf.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 14:00 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just attended a talk about pdf2htmlEX at the tug 2013 conference ...
> this looks quite interesting ...
>
>    http://coolwanglu.github.io/**pdf2htmlEX/<http://coolwanglu.github.io/pdf2htmlEX/>
>
>    http://soft.rubypdf.com/**software/pdf2htmlex-windows-**version<http://soft.rubypdf.com/software/pdf2htmlex-windows-version>
>
> It works (mostly) ok on even complex context manuals like metafun-s.pdf
> and fonts-mkiv.pdf.

pdf is still better for the size
474173 Oct 23 15:53 swiglib.html
114739 Oct 23 15:55 swiglib.html.7z
 90140 Sep 26 11:19 swiglib.pdf

Anyway it's really impressive

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 15:47 ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-10-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 20:32:57 +0900
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just attended a talk about pdf2htmlEX at the tug 2013
> conference ... this looks quite interesting ...
>
>     http://coolwanglu.github.io/pdf2htmlEX/
>
>     http://soft.rubypdf.com/software/pdf2htmlex-windows-version
>
> It works (mostly) ok on even complex context manuals like
> metafun-s.pdf and fonts-mkiv.pdf.
>
> Hans

>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

1. Is ther a generic Linuz version?

2. Is this a stepping stone towards a path from a pdf to a kindle
and/or an ePub document?

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 16:41   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-10-23 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, john Culleton wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 20:32:57 +0900
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just attended a talk about pdf2htmlEX at the tug 2013
>> conference ... this looks quite interesting ...
>>
>>     http://coolwanglu.github.io/pdf2htmlEX/
>>
>>     http://soft.rubypdf.com/software/pdf2htmlex-windows-version
>>
>> It works (mostly) ok on even complex context manuals like
>> metafun-s.pdf and fonts-mkiv.pdf.

> 1. Is ther a generic Linuz version?

The website contains link to Ubuntu, Arch, and Gentoo packages. Based on
the Arch PKGBUILD, installation is equivalent to:

git clone git://github.com/coolwanglu/pdf2htmlEX.git
cd pdf2htmlEX
make install

> 2. Is this a stepping stone towards a path from a pdf to a kindle
> and/or an ePub document?

Looking at the generated HTML, I very much doubt that. It is using some
heavy CSS to get the exact reproduction.

Aditya

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 17:48   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-10-23 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just attended a talk about pdf2htmlEX at the tug 2013 conference ...
>> this looks quite interesting ...
>>
>>    http://coolwanglu.github.io/**pdf2htmlEX/<http://coolwanglu.github.io/pdf2htmlEX/>
>>
>>    http://soft.rubypdf.com/**software/pdf2htmlex-windows-**version<http://soft.rubypdf.com/software/pdf2htmlex-windows-version>
>>
>> It works (mostly) ok on even complex context manuals like metafun-s.pdf
>> and fonts-mkiv.pdf.
>>

> pdf is still better for the size
> 474173 Oct 23 15:53 swiglib.html
> 114739 Oct 23 15:55 swiglib.html.7z
> 90140 Sep 26 11:19 swiglib.pdf

I get similar sizes:

4.7M Oct 23 13:44 MDP.html
3.2M Oct 23 13:45 MDP.html.7z
1.6M Oct 20 13:03 MDP.pdf

but it is impressive that it can correctly render the output.

I am not sure how it compares with PDF.js in terms of speed and accuracy.
One drawback (or advantage, depending on how you want to look at it) is
that text cannot be copy pasted.

Aditya

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 18:11     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> I get similar sizes:
>
> 4.7M Oct 23 13:44 MDP.html
> 3.2M Oct 23 13:45 MDP.html.7z
> 1.6M Oct 20 13:03 MDP.pdf
>
> but it is impressive that it can correctly render the output.
>
> I am not sure how it compares with PDF.js in terms of speed and accuracy.
> One drawback (or advantage, depending on how you want to look at it) is
> that text cannot be copy pasted.

hm I can..
https://swiglib.foundry.supelec.fr/rationale/swiglib.html

--
luigi

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 22:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-23 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/24/2013 12:47 AM, john Culleton wrote:

> 1. Is ther a generic Linuz version?

I don't know but it might end up in tex distributions some day.

> 2. Is this a stepping stone towards a path from a pdf to a kindle
> and/or an ePub document?

It's different: rendering pages so no reflow and abstract model of data
but quite okay as alternative for a pdf rendering when there is no
alternative.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: interesting link
@ 2013-10-23 23:09       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-10-23 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>

>> I get similar sizes:
>>
>> 4.7M Oct 23 13:44 MDP.html
>> 3.2M Oct 23 13:45 MDP.html.7z
>> 1.6M Oct 20 13:03 MDP.pdf
>>
>> but it is impressive that it can correctly render the output.
>>
>> I am not sure how it compares with PDF.js in terms of speed and accuracy.
>> One drawback (or advantage, depending on how you want to look at it) is
>> that text cannot be copy pasted.
>>
> hm I can..
> https://swiglib.foundry.supelec.fr/rationale/swiglib.html

So can I for that file. I'll check again what is happening with the test
file that I was using.

Aditya

* Re: interesting link
@ 2012-09-18  8:34     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-09-18  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 18-9-2012 09:10, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-**shell/doc/<http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-shell/doc/>
>>>

>> it looks useful...
>>
>> So far, I can't see any binding between GSL's 'graph.plot*()' and any
>> output that would be accepted by ConTeXt; e.g. no .png nor MP code can
>> be produced from GSL.
>>

> it should not be to hard (for luigi, given his mf project) to add output
> to mp

there are
save(filename[, w, h])
Save the plot in a file in a bitmap image format. The first argument is the
file name without extension while the other optional arguments are the
width and the height in pixels of the image. The format used is BMP on
windows and PPM on Linux.

save_svg(filename[, w, h])
Save the plot in the given filename in SVG format. Two optional parameters
can be given to specify the width and height of the drawing area. If the
“svg” extension is not given it will be automatically added.

They can managed with imagemagick/inkscape

On the other side, I often manage to export a kind of lua table (if
possible) and use lua /mplib of context to produce a single pdf of each
graph.

--
luigi

* Re: interesting link
@ 2012-09-18  8:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-09-18  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-9-2012 09:10, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-shell/doc/
>
> it looks useful...
>
> So far, I can't see any binding between GSL's 'graph.plot*()' and any
> output that would be accepted by ConTeXt; e.g. no .png nor MP code can
> be produced from GSL.

it should not be to hard (for luigi, given his mf project) to add output
to mp

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: interesting link
@ 2012-09-18  8:18   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-09-18  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-9-2012 08:38, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As Luigi hasn't posted a link in a while ... here is one that looks
>> interesting
>>
>> http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-**shell/doc/<http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-shell/doc/>
>>
>> (would fit nicely in luatex a library given that tex as system for
>> typesetting is used for scientific publishing)
>>
>> I've (of course...) already built a binding for gsl and I keep an eye on
> it. Until two days  ago the problem was luajit: but on September 16
> http://www.freelists.org/post/luajit/Support-for-goto-and-labels-added
> so, considering the move from lua 5.1 to lua 5.2,  it's reasonable to start
> to think at luajittex  (well, at least for me)  .

Interesting. So it works well as a library?

I'm not so sure if we gain much with jit in luatex but it's worth a try.
It would also be interesting to see how the 5.2 garbage collector
works out (as well as the new string has implementation).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: interesting link
@ 2012-09-18  7:10 ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-09-18  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-shell/doc/

it looks useful...

So far, I can't see any binding between GSL's 'graph.plot*()' and any output that would be accepted by ConTeXt; e.g. no .png nor MP code can be produced from GSL.

It would be nice to have them as it seems many computations could be solved by GSL and it would be good to have a way to put the graphical results to ConTeXt.

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]