* ConTeXt standalone - in what situations is it better?
@ 2013-10-24 12:13 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-10-24 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I was looking into simplefonts
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/simplefonts) and noticed the clause

> if you’re running ConTeXt Standalone
> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone> (which is a better
> option)

Well I'm using TeXLive, but am happy to take good advice, so I looked at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone to see why it would be
a better option.
The basic reason I can see is that Standalone is updated more frequently.

So if you're using bleeding-edge features of ConTeXt (including recent
fixes to simplefonts?), I can see wanting to use Standalone and have
access to the latest features and fixes.

On the other hand, if you're working on a large production project that
has to be careful of stability, is there any advantage to Standalone
over TeXLive? Sure, you can keep a standalone version frozen in place,
but then that seems equivalent to staying with an existing version of
TeXLive.

The other issue for me with Standalone is that the only version listed
for Windows is "W32TeX". When I go to the web page for that platform, I
don't see any information about what W32TeX is; just how to install it.
It sounds like it's specific to 32-bit systems, and mine is 64-bit. But
I suppose in that regard it's no different from TeXLive -- the
executables are 32-bit but they run fine on 64-bit systems.

Does anybody have advice for me on other reasons for switching from
TeXLive to ConTeXt Standalone, or reasons not to?

Thanks,
Lars