From: Lars Huttar <lars_huttar@sil.org>
Subject: Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 13:55:32 -0500	[thread overview]

On 11/4/2013 4:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>> On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> - you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
>>> TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)
>> Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
>> I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.
> That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
> need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
> changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
> that can be done).

I will look for that, because it turns out that I still need to use a
TTF font. Gentium Plus does not include bold and bold-italic weights,
and Gentium Basic doesn't include all the characters ranges I need. We
have a customized version of Gentium Basic with bold weight, with an
extra character added, and it's a TTF. We had it working with mkii but
not yet with mkiv.

>> When you say "out of the box", I think you're referring to the
>> gentium-tug package box, not the ConTeXt box... in other words, I should
>> not expect Gentium to work just because I installed ConTeXt; I have to
>> also install gentium-tug, right?
> The font is installed by default when installing the ConTeXt
> distribution. I thought it was also installed by default with the
> ConTeXt scheme in TeX Live, but apparently I was wrong. I can fix
> this. The scheme already contains a bunch of nice fonts and Gentium
> could/probably should be among them.

Just to confirm the above: After installing TeX Live context scheme on
Linux, Gentium was not in my names.tma. And when I tried to use
\setmainfont[Gentium], I got errors, 'simplefonts > font ''gentium'' not
found'. After installing the gentium-tug package (sudo
/usr/local/bin/tlmgr install gentium-tug), and compiling a .tex file
using \setmainfont[Gentium], the errors went away, and my names.tma now
includes several variants of Gentium. At no point did I run mtxrun
(knowingly).

On the other hand, on Windows, I had installed TeX Live context scheme
as well, and have not installed gentium-tug. But I did install Gentium
as an OS font (using TTF files). I then ran mtxrun --generate (as
suggested by Hans), and after that, gentium* showed up in names.tma, and
I was then able to successfully compile a .tex file using
\setmainfont[Gentium] with mkiv context. (But that didn't work before I
ran mtxrun --generate.)

Just a couple of data points in case they're relevant.

Lars