* Preventing caption stoppers from appearing in references
@ 2013-11-01 16:51 Géry Ogam
From: Géry Ogam @ 2013-11-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Hans,

I would like to prevent caption stoppers from appearing in references in
ConTeXt.

Here is a minimal example:

\starttext
\setupcaptions[numberstopper=.~---~, distance=0em]
\placefigure[][cow]{A Cow}{\externalfigure[cow]}
\in{Figure}[cow] shows a cow.
\stoptext

Aditya suggested that I use suffix instead of numberstopper, which works
very well, but Wolgang said:

‘I’m sorry to disappoint you but there is no official solution to achieve
this.

There are ways to change the stopper for section numbers in the heading and
the text but not for the other counters (floats, descriptions etc.).

The solution you got from Aditya at stackexchange works but it’s more a hack
because suffixes are used when you use a splitted float (e.g. a table which
spans
multiple pages) where you get 1.a., 1.b etc. (the a and b are suffixes) as
numbers.’

So since numberstoppers — of any kinds (for floats, sections, descriptions)
— are supposed to separate numbers from titles, it would be logical that
they don’t appear in references because references don’ have titles, only
numbers, so no separation sign (numberstopper) is needed. Could you change
that behaviour Hans, or add a command for setting the layout of the numbers
in references (separators, counter conversion, etc.)? There is already such
a command for section numbers and you only have to add another one for
other counters.

Best regards.

* Re: Preventing caption stoppers from appearing in references
@ 2013-11-05 22:01 ` Géry Ogam
From: Géry Ogam @ 2013-11-05 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

What do you think about that Hans?

Géry Ogam

@ 2013-11-06 17:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-06 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/5/2013 11:01 PM, Géry Ogam wrote:
> What do you think about that Hans?

not that much yet ... maybe later this month (as that kind of tuning
influences a lot of other mechanisms)

Hans

> Géry Ogam
>

> 2013/11/1 Géry Ogam <maggyero@gmail.com <mailto:maggyero@gmail.com>>
>
>     Hello Hans,
>
>     I would like to prevent caption stoppers from appearing in
>     references in ConTeXt.
>
>     Here is a minimal example:
>
>     \starttext
>     \setupcaptions[numberstopper=.~---~, distance=0em]
>     \placefigure[][cow]{A Cow}{\externalfigure[cow]}
>     \in{Figure}[cow] shows a cow.
>     \stoptext
>
>     Aditya suggested that I use suffix instead of numberstopper, which
>     works very well, but Wolgang said:
>
>     ‘I’m sorry to disappoint you but there is no official solution to
>     achieve this.
>
>     There are ways to change the stopper for section numbers in the
>     heading and
>     the text but not for the other counters (floats, descriptions etc.).
>
>     The solution you got from Aditya at stackexchange works but it’s
>     more a hack
>     because suffixes are used when you use a splitted float (e.g. a
>     table which spans
>     multiple pages) where you get 1.a., 1.b etc. (the a and b are
>     suffixes) as numbers.’
>
>     So since numberstoppers — of any kinds (for floats, sections,
>     descriptions) — are supposed to separate numbers from titles, it
>     would be logical that they don’t appear in references because
>     references don’ have titles, only numbers, so no separation sign
>     (numberstopper) is needed. Could you change that behaviour Hans, or
>     add a command for setting the layout of the numbers in references
>     (separators, counter conversion, etc.)? There is already such a
>     command for section numbers and you only have to add another one for
>     other counters.
>
>     Best regards.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE