* installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-04 19:55 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-04 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I'm following the instructions at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step
because I want to install a TTF (Gentium in fact) for ConTeXt to use.
There is a warning that these instructions may be out of date, but I
haven't found anything newer.

This is under TeX Live 2013, the context scheme, and I've been using
ConTeXt mkiv.

I found texfont.pl, though it wasn't in the path, and managed to run it
in the directory where I have my .ttf files:
$ sudo PATH=$PATH
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl
--ve=sil --co=gentium --makepath --install

But then I get errors about ttf2afm:

TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004

mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
       encoding vector : texnansi
           vendor name : sil
           source path : .
       font collection : gentium
       texmf font root : /usr/local/texlive/2013/../texmf-local
         map file name : texnansi-sil-gentium.map
           source path : .
      processing files : all on afm path
    locating afm files : using pattern ./*.afm
    locating afm files : using ttf files
   generating afm file : ./GentiumPlus-I.afm
sh: ttf2afm: command not found
   generating afm file : ./GentiumPlus-R.afm
sh: ttf2afm: command not found
         copying files : afm
         copying files : pfb
         copying files : ttf
               copying : GentiumPlus-I.ttf
               copying : GentiumPlus-R.ttf
    processing aborted : no afm files found

                --help : show some more info

I can't find ttf2afm anywhere. Is it part of pdfTex? Do I have to have
the pdftex scheme installed in order to install True-type fonts?

Thanks,
Lars

* Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-04 20:34 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-11-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm following the instructions at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font,_step_by_step
> because I want to install a TTF (Gentium in fact) for ConTeXt to use.

Please note that:
- the top of the page says "NOTE: The contents of this page are OLD /.../"
- nobody in the ConTeXt community bothers about MKII (pdfTeX) any longer
- texfont.pl has always been a bit problematic and is definitely not
really maintained any longer
- you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)
- Gentium works out-of-the-box in ConTeXt (see the documentation of gentium-tug)

> This is under TeX Live 2013, the context scheme, and I've been using
> ConTeXt mkiv.

So why bother about pdfTeX? The "conversion" is/was only ever needed
for MKII. In MKIV all fonts work out of the box. Other than what the
package provides, Wolfgang Schuster's new additions (is there any link
to point the users to?) make that even easier for users. It's probably
easiest to use the package now, but even if the package wasn't
provided, setting up the font in MKIV is relatively straightforward
without the need for any conversions of any kind.

> I can't find ttf2afm anywhere. Is it part of pdfTex? Do I have to have
> the pdftex scheme installed in order to install True-type fonts?

It's part of ttfutils, collection-fontutils. You cannot install an
additional scheme in TeX Live (or at least I think so, I'm not 100%
sure), but you can install an additional package or collection. But
really ... you don't need that program just for the sake of using
Gentium.

Mojca

* Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-04 21:46   ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-04 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> - you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
> TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)

Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.

> - Gentium works out-of-the-box in ConTeXt (see the documentation of
> gentium-tug)

When you say "out of the box", I think you're referring to the
gentium-tug package box, not the ConTeXt box... in other words, I should
not expect Gentium to work just because I installed ConTeXt; I have to
also install gentium-tug, right?
If not, I must be doing something wrong because I can't find Gentium in
the luatex-cache font database.

>> This is under TeX Live 2013, the context scheme, and I've been using
>> ConTeXt mkiv.
> So why bother about pdfTeX?

Only because the latest instructions I could find said to use texfont,
which uses ttf2afm, which was missing and I thought it might come from
pdfTeX. I'm glad to know I don't have to, and I'll update that wiki page
accordingly.

Thanks again,

@ 2013-11-04 21:54     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-04 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/4/2013 10:46 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> - you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
>> TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)
>
> Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
> I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.
>
>> - Gentium works out-of-the-box in ConTeXt (see the documentation of
>> gentium-tug)
>
> When you say "out of the box", I think you're referring to the
> gentium-tug package box, not the ConTeXt box... in other words, I should
> not expect Gentium to work just because I installed ConTeXt; I have to
> also install gentium-tug, right?
> If not, I must be doing something wrong because I can't find Gentium in
> the luatex-cache font database.

Did you run (file database)

   mtxrun --generate

normally the font database is regenerated automatically when needed.

>>> This is under TeX Live 2013, the context scheme, and I've been using
>>> ConTeXt mkiv.
>> So why bother about pdfTeX?
>
> Only because the latest instructions I could find said to use texfont,
> which uses ttf2afm, which was missing and I thought it might come from
> pdfTeX. I'm glad to know I don't have to, and I'll update that wiki page
> accordingly.

It was (is?) part of the pdftex suite because pdftex can embed a ttf
font even if type-1 variant afm/tfm files are used. The main purpose of
texfont was to make type 1 fonts ready for tex (by generating tfm
files). In the meantime the lm/gust project provide the files needed for
the most relevant fonts, but for other (like commercial) fonts you still
need to generate tfm's of course. Anyhow, as Mojca pointed out: there is
no need for this in mkiv (luatex). One can still use type one fonts or
course but nothing special is needed for that as context will treat them
as wide fonts.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-11-04 21:56     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-11-04 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> - you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
>> TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)
>
> Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
> I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.

That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
that can be done).

> When you say "out of the box", I think you're referring to the
> gentium-tug package box, not the ConTeXt box... in other words, I should
> not expect Gentium to work just because I installed ConTeXt; I have to
> also install gentium-tug, right?

The font is installed by default when installing the ConTeXt
distribution. I thought it was also installed by default with the
ConTeXt scheme in TeX Live, but apparently I was wrong. I can fix
this. The scheme already contains a bunch of nice fonts and Gentium
could/probably should be among them.

Mojca

* Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-04 22:32       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.11.2013 um 22:56 schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>> On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> - you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
>>> TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)
>>
>> Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
>> I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.
>
> That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
> need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
> changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
> that can be done).

Make your choice:

\definefontfamily [gentium-basic] [serif] [Gentium Basic]
\definefontfamily [gentium-book]  [serif] [Gentium Book Basic]
\definefontfamily [gentium-plus]  [serif] [Gentium Plus]

\starttext

{\switchtobodyfont[gentium-basic]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}

{\switchtobodyfont[gentium-book]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}

{\switchtobodyfont[gentium-plus]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-05 16:08         ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.11.2013 um 22:56 schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
>
>> That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
>> need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
>> changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
>> that can be done).
>
> Make your choice:
>
> \definefontfamily [gentium-basic] [serif] [Gentium Basic]
> \definefontfamily [gentium-book]  [serif] [Gentium Book Basic]
> \definefontfamily [gentium-plus]  [serif] [Gentium Plus]
>
> \starttext
>
> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-basic]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>
> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-book]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>
> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-plus]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>
> \stoptext

Thanks for the suggestion.
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to compile the
above with mkiv, I get "Undefined control sequence" on line 1:

l.1 \definefontfamily

[gentium-basic] [serif] [Gentium Basic]

ConTeXt ver: 2013.05.28 00:36 MKIV current fmt: 2013.10.11 int:
english/english

Nor can I find \definefontfamily in the ref man or on the wiki.

Regards,

@ 2013-11-05 17:05           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-11-05 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Lars Huttar  wrote:
> On 11/4/2013 5:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 04.11.2013 um 22:56 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>>
>>> That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
>>> need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
>>> changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
>>> that can be done).
>>
>> Make your choice:
>>
>> \definefontfamily [gentium-basic] [serif] [Gentium Basic]
>> \definefontfamily [gentium-book]  [serif] [Gentium Book Basic]
>> \definefontfamily [gentium-plus]  [serif] [Gentium Plus]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-basic]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>>
>> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-book]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>>
>> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-plus]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to compile the
> above with mkiv, I get "Undefined control sequence" on line 1:
>
> l.1 \definefontfamily

As I told you: "there were recent changes/improvements in that".

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2013/075428.html

You would need the ConTeXt distribution for that, TeX Live 2013 is too
old. (You can probably still load the simplefonts module explicitly or
write the typescripts yourself - again different syntax.)

Mojca

* Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-05 18:25             ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/5/2013 12:05 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Lars Huttar  wrote:
>> On 11/4/2013 5:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>>
>>> Make your choice:
>>>
>>> \definefontfamily [gentium-basic] [serif] [Gentium Basic]
>>> \definefontfamily [gentium-book]  [serif] [Gentium Book Basic]
>>> \definefontfamily [gentium-plus]  [serif] [Gentium Plus]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-basic]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>>>
>>> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-book]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>>>
>>> {\switchtobodyfont[gentium-plus]Upright \it Italic \bf Bold \bi BoldItalic}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>> I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to compile the
>> above with mkiv, I get "Undefined control sequence" on line 1:
>>
>> l.1 \definefontfamily
> As I told you: "there were recent changes/improvements in that".
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2013/075428.html
>
> You would need the ConTeXt distribution for that, TeX Live 2013 is too
> old. (You can probably still load the simplefonts module explicitly or
> write the typescripts yourself - again different syntax.)
>
> Mojca

Thanks again for your responses.

I did try loading the simplefonts module explicitly, but
definefontfamily is still undefined.

I'm working on a large, production project, and the deadline is too
close to risk using unstable releases. Is there a context release since
Wolfgang's new version of simplefonts, that has been declared stable?
Given that his new version came out less than a month ago, it seems
unlikely.

Maybe I can get TTFs working using mtxrun, as Hans suggested. It seems
to be working on Windows; I need to try the same on Linux with our
custom font.

@ 2013-11-05 18:55       ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/4/2013 4:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>> On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> - you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
>>> TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)
>> Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
>> I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.
> That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
> need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
> changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
> that can be done).

I will look for that, because it turns out that I still need to use a
TTF font. Gentium Plus does not include bold and bold-italic weights,
and Gentium Basic doesn't include all the characters ranges I need. We
have a customized version of Gentium Basic with bold weight, with an
extra character added, and it's a TTF. We had it working with mkii but
not yet with mkiv.

>> When you say "out of the box", I think you're referring to the
>> gentium-tug package box, not the ConTeXt box... in other words, I should
>> not expect Gentium to work just because I installed ConTeXt; I have to
>> also install gentium-tug, right?
> The font is installed by default when installing the ConTeXt
> distribution. I thought it was also installed by default with the
> ConTeXt scheme in TeX Live, but apparently I was wrong. I can fix
> this. The scheme already contains a bunch of nice fonts and Gentium
> could/probably should be among them.

Just to confirm the above: After installing TeX Live context scheme on
Linux, Gentium was not in my names.tma. And when I tried to use
\setmainfont[Gentium], I got errors, 'simplefonts > font ''gentium'' not
found'. After installing the gentium-tug package (sudo
/usr/local/bin/tlmgr install gentium-tug), and compiling a .tex file
using \setmainfont[Gentium], the errors went away, and my names.tma now
includes several variants of Gentium. At no point did I run mtxrun
(knowingly).

On the other hand, on Windows, I had installed TeX Live context scheme
as well, and have not installed gentium-tug. But I did install Gentium
as an OS font (using TTF files). I then ran mtxrun --generate (as
suggested by Hans), and after that, gentium* showed up in names.tma, and
I was then able to successfully compile a .tex file using
\setmainfont[Gentium] with mkiv context. (But that didn't work before I
ran mtxrun --generate.)

Just a couple of data points in case they're relevant.

@ 2013-11-05 23:37               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-05 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.11.2013 um 19:25 schrieb Lars Huttar <lars_huttar@sil.org>:

> I did try loading the simplefonts module explicitly, but
> definefontfamily is still undefined.

The simplefonts module is now part of the context core, to use it
you need a recent version (1 month old or less). The commands
from the new version are different from the commands in the external
module.

Wolfgang

* Re: installing a true-type font: can't find ttf2afm
@ 2013-11-06 17:25         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/5/2013 7:55 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 11/4/2013 4:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
>>> I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.
>> That TTF should work as well. The only difference is that you might
>> need slightly different commands to set it up (there were recent
>> changes/improvements in that, other users should tell you how exactly
>> that can be done).
>
> I will look for that, because it turns out that I still need to use a
> TTF font. Gentium Plus does not include bold and bold-italic weights,
> and Gentium Basic doesn't include all the characters ranges I need. We
> have a customized version of Gentium Basic with bold weight, with an
> extra character added, and it's a TTF. We had it working with mkii but
> not yet with mkiv.

in that case yoiu can put the fonts somewhere and write a typescript ..
see type-imp-mscore.mkiv for exmaples ... that way you have complete
control over what gets loaded

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE