* how to include sans, bold and size in \setuptab[headstyle=???]
@ 2013-11-11 17:00 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-11 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I have the following MWE:
\starttext

\setuptab[headstyle=ssbfb]

\tab{foo} \input knuth \par

\stoptext

Here, the headstyle specifies a sans font with boldface style, at 1.44
times the current bodyfont size.

However, I want to be able to specify an absolute point size, instead of
a relative size.

I tried variations like

  \setuptab[headstyle=18pt]

but that has no effect: the size remains 12pt, or whatever the default is.

If I use
  \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[18pt]}]

then the size takes effect (for the key only, which is what I want).
I can combine that with sans:
  \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[ss, 18pt]}]

and that works.

But how to mix in boldface?
  \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[ssbf, 18pt]}]

doesn't give sans boldface, but reverts to a serif, non-bold style (at
18pt size).

  \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[ss, bf, 18pt]}]

gives the same results.

I finally tried

  \setuptab[headstyle={\ssbf \switchtobodyfont[18pt]}]

and that works! But it seems clunky: it looks like it requires two font
switches, which I'm told makes things slower.

And I can't help wondering if I'm missing some simpler way.
Is there a more efficient or elegant way to do this?

Thanks,
Lars

* Re: how to include sans, bold and size in \setuptab[headstyle=???]
@ 2013-11-11 17:27 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-11 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Huttar <mailto:lars_huttar@sil.org>
> 11. November 2013 18:00
> Hello, I have the following MWE:
> \starttext
>
> \setuptab[headstyle=ssbfb]

\setuptab[headstyle=\ssbfb]

> \tab{foo} \input knuth \par
>
> \stoptext
>

> Here, the headstyle specifies a sans font with boldface style, at 1.44
> times the current bodyfont size.
>

> However, I want to be able to specify an absolute point size, instead of
> a relative size.
>
> I tried variations like
>
> \setuptab[headstyle=18pt]
>
> but that has no effect: the size remains 12pt, or whatever the default is.
>
> If I use
> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[18pt]}]
>
> then the size takes effect (for the key only, which is what I want).
> I can combine that with sans:
> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[ss, 18pt]}]
>
> and that works.
>

> But how to mix in boldface?
> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[ssbf, 18pt]}]
>
> doesn't give sans boldface, but reverts to a serif, non-bold style (at
> 18pt size).
>
> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[ss, bf, 18pt]}]
>
> gives the same results.
>

> I finally tried
>
> \setuptab[headstyle={\ssbf \switchtobodyfont[18pt]}]
>
> and that works! But it seems clunky: it looks like it requires two font
> switches, which I'm told makes things slower.
>
> And I can't help wondering if I'm missing some simpler way.
> Is there a more efficient or elegant way to do this?

\definefont[BigBoldSans][SansBold at 18pt]

\setuptab[headstyle=BigBoldSans]

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 3082 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: compose-unknown-contact.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 770 bytes --]

* Re: how to include sans, bold and size in \setuptab[headstyle=???]
@ 2013-11-11 21:45   ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-11 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Lars Huttar <mailto:lars_huttar@sil.org>
>> 11. November 2013 18:00
>> I finally tried
>>
>> \setuptab[headstyle={\ssbf \switchtobodyfont[18pt]}]
>>
>> and that works! But it seems clunky: it looks like it requires two font
>> switches, which I'm told makes things slower.
>>
>> And I can't help wondering if I'm missing some simpler way.
>> Is there a more efficient or elegant way to do this?
>>
> \definefont[BigBoldSans][SansBold at 18pt]
>
> \setuptab[headstyle=BigBoldSans]

OK, but in order to use this systematically, I would have to have a
\definefont for every potential combination of font style (serif/sans),
alternative (bold/italic/etc.), and size that will get used in the
document. In a large, complex book, that extra layer of indirection
seems unattractive. But maybe there's no better way to do it.

Lars