* announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 14:08 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-11-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

today, I have an announcement to make and a call for contributions. We
have obtained a medium-sized grant at my university to further
development of ConTeXt. Specifically, our project wants to facilitate
typesetting critical editions after the TEI xml standard and
bibliographical data. Luigi will be employed as a full-time developer
for the next 6 months (he signed his contract today); Hans will
coordinate the work flow.

So this is good news. Now for the call for contributions: we invite you
to send in examples in those two areas (critical editions, i.e.
linenotes cum suis, and bibliographical data, aka bib-module) which show
where ConTeXt could be developed. So please send examples to the list
that show limitations or bugs, ask for new features, etc. If you want
new features in the bibliography department, please do not send vague
requests ("it would be nice if we could have hungarian reference
systems") but small examples which show a precise feature and a possible
syntax for it.

Of course, I can't promise that we will be able to act on all your
submissions, but I'm optimistic that this project will make our favorite
software better!

All best

Thomas

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 19:06 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2013-11-14 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dear list,
>
> today, I have an announcement to make and a call for contributions. We
> have obtained a medium-sized grant at my university to further
> development of ConTeXt. Specifically, our project wants to facilitate
> typesetting critical editions after the TEI xml standard and
> bibliographical data. Luigi will be employed as a full-time developer
> for the next 6 months (he signed his contract today); Hans will
> coordinate the work flow.

Thomas,

congratulations for the excellent news.

> So this is good news. Now for the call for contributions: we invite you
> to send in examples in those two areas (critical editions, i.e.
> linenotes cum suis, and bibliographical data, aka bib-module) which show
> where ConTeXt could be developed. So please send examples to the list
> that show limitations or bugs, ask for new features, etc. If you want
> new features in the bibliography department, please do not send vague
> requests ("it would be nice if we could have hungarian reference
> systems") but small examples which show a precise feature and a possible
> syntax for it.

Are the requests to be addressed to this mailing list? Or do you plan
something like a GitHub repository?

> Of course, I can't promise that we will be able to act on all your
> submissions, but I'm optimistic that this project will make our favorite
> software better!

Many thanks for this project, because it benefits us all.

All best,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 20:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-14 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/14/2013 8:06 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 11/14/2013 03:08 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> today, I have an announcement to make and a call for contributions. We
>> have obtained a medium-sized grant at my university to further
>> development of ConTeXt. Specifically, our project wants to facilitate
>> typesetting critical editions after the TEI xml standard and
>> bibliographical data. Luigi will be employed as a full-time developer
>> for the next 6 months (he signed his contract today); Hans will
>> coordinate the work flow.
>
> Thomas,
>
> congratulations for the excellent news.
>
>> So this is good news. Now for the call for contributions: we invite you
>> to send in examples in those two areas (critical editions, i.e.
>> linenotes cum suis, and bibliographical data, aka bib-module) which show
>> where ConTeXt could be developed. So please send examples to the list
>> that show limitations or bugs, ask for new features, etc. If you want
>> new features in the bibliography department, please do not send vague
>> requests ("it would be nice if we could have hungarian reference
>> systems") but small examples which show a precise feature and a possible
>> syntax for it.
>
> Are the requests to be addressed to this mailing list? Or do you plan
> something like a GitHub repository?
>
>> Of course, I can't promise that we will be able to act on all your
>> submissions, but I'm optimistic that this project will make our favorite
>> software better!
>
> Many thanks for this project, because it benefits us all.

Just send initial requests to the list so that others also know about
it. Luigi will collect and organize all that and put things in a
repository. Then we will decide on what to take into account (on top of
Thomas' requirements). There will be a repository (svn or so) on a
dedicated machine at Thomas' faculty.

Among the direct context related things are

- a rewrite of bib modules (partially already done)
- extensions to the (line)note mechanisms etc
- the ability to plug in a bib processor (bibtex, mlbibtex, whatever we
like)

I'll probably start with that next month.

There might be other new things showing up, and we might also look at
some pending luatex opening op that relate to our problems.

One thing that will also be done, is document the reasonable subset of
tei for doing the kind of things Thomas does so we're talking of pure
tex approaches alongside context-xml driven workflows.

As Thomas said: we're not going to act on vague requirements that lack
examples.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 20:30   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-11-14 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/14/2013 08:06 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Many thanks for this project, because it benefits us all.

Hans has already answered your questions, so just one word: you have
been using linenotes a lot and you sent lots of examples and bug
reports. If you collect those, they could go into a test suite which we
keep on our server. Best make one small test file per use case, that is
easiest to manage.

Thomas

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 20:40 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2013-11-14 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas!

···<date: 2013-11-14, Thursday>···<from: Thomas A. Schmitz>···

> Dear list,
>
> today, I have an announcement to make and a call for contributions. We
> have obtained a medium-sized grant at my university to further
> development of ConTeXt. Specifically, our project wants to facilitate
> typesetting critical editions after the TEI xml standard and
> bibliographical data. Luigi will be employed as a full-time developer
> for the next 6 months (he signed his contract today); Hans will
> coordinate the work flow.

Great news!

> So this is good news. Now for the call for contributions: we invite you
> to send in examples in those two areas (critical editions, i.e.
> linenotes cum suis, and bibliographical data, aka bib-module) which show
> where ConTeXt could be developed.

What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].

>                                   so please send examples to the list
> that show limitations or bugs, ask for new features, etc. if you want
> new features in the bibliography department, please do not send vague
> requests

I have a working albeit hackish (manual page-breaking ftw)
implementation for the plain format which I wasn’t able to port
to Context due to the much more complex page model of the latter.
Example output:

    https://phi-gamma.net/pdf/example-3.pdf

To minimize the vagueness ;-) I could share the sources but I
doubt it’s of much value in its present state.  Besides, it does
not work with current Luatex due to changed callback signatures.

>          ("it would be nice if we could have hungarian reference
> systems") but small examples which show a precise feature and a possible
> syntax for it.
>
> of course, i can't promise that we will be able to act on all your
> submissions, but i'm optimistic that this project will make our favorite
> software better!

Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
self-contained module?

Best regards,
Philipp

[1] http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/051693.html
[2] http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/128574

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 490 bytes --]

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 20:47   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-14 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/14/2013 9:40 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
> Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
> parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
> already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
> sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].

Maybe .. i have some ideas on that but might as well do columnsets first
(not related to critical editions).

>>                                    so please send examples to the list
>> that show limitations or bugs, ask for new features, etc. if you want
>> new features in the bibliography department, please do not send vague
>> requests
>
> I have a working albeit hackish (manual page-breaking ftw)
> implementation for the plain format which I wasn’t able to port
> to Context due to the much more complex page model of the latter.
> Example output:
>
>      https://phi-gamma.net/pdf/example-3.pdf
>
> To minimize the vagueness ;-) I could share the sources but I
> doubt it’s of much value in its present state.  Besides, it does
> not work with current Luatex due to changed callback signatures.

Being a trial-and-error-and-experiment-a-lot guy I'll start from scratch
anyway. Something for dark winter nights and a stack of fresh cd's.

>>           ("it would be nice if we could have hungarian reference
>> systems") but small examples which show a precise feature and a possible
>> syntax for it.
>>
>> of course, i can't promise that we will be able to act on all your
>> submissions, but i'm optimistic that this project will make our favorite
>> software better!
>
> Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
> directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
> self-contained module?

It will be merged into the core but I can imagine a module with tei
mapping snippets.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 20:55   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-11-14 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/14/2013 09:40 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
> Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
> parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
> already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
> sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].

For certain values of "pressing" :-) Two pessimistic remarks about that:
(1) I experimented with a mechanism that Hans build for mkii a while
ago, and I found it difficult to decide how to define what was expected
of parallel typesetting. In the end, I wasn't convinced that an entirely
automated version was possible at all. (2) I'm afraid that's not part of
the present project and is related neither to critical editions nor to
bibliographies.

> Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
> directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
> self-contained module?

During development, we need to keep the code separate since we need to
document what we do for our funding agency, but it will be part of ConTeXt.

Thomas

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-14 20:56     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2013-11-14 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2013-11-14, Thursday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···

> On 11/14/2013 9:40 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>
> > What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
> > Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
> > parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
> > already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
> > sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].
>
> Maybe .. i have some ideas on that but might as well do columnsets first
> (not related to critical editions).

No problem, I wouldn’t have an immediate use for it anyways.

> > Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
> > directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
> > self-contained module?
>
> It will be merged into the core but I can imagine a module with tei
> mapping snippets.

Thanks!
Philipp

@ 2013-11-15 10:31     ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-11-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Am 14.11.2013 um 21:55 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>:

> On 11/14/2013 09:40 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>> What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
>> Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
>> parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
>> already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
>> sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].
>
> For certain values of "pressing" :-) Two pessimistic remarks about that: (1) I experimented with a mechanism that Hans build for mkii a while ago, and I found it difficult to decide how to define what was expected of parallel typesetting. In the end, I wasn't convinced that an entirely automated version was possible at all. (2) I'm afraid that's not part of the present project and is related neither to critical editions nor to bibliographies.

I have to strongly disagree with you here. A critical edition is only a specialized case of parallel texts! You two or more editions that are contrasted/compared to each other.
Naturally, it must be bibliographically annotated and there are the comments of the author of the critical edition.

The  editions have to be typeset in parallel. There are many ways how an author can lay this out. In the far past it was common just to stack the contrasted versions on top of
each other! Very very ugly. Lots of examples in libraries. More recent ways are to use column. Yet, the more editions involved the harder it is to place on one page. For such cases
it would be best to spread them across two facing pages.

The problem with the two page setup is synchronizing the comments, notes, discussion of the critical edition's author. For a half way pleasing layout these should interplaced between the contrasted editions across the two pages. Yes, not an easy task.

I agree that it is hard to automate the synchronization of text passages. The only viable approach would be at the paragraph level. A line level approach can only be achieved by
interaction of the author of the critical edition with synchronization marks of some sort inside the editions.

Early, in my education in Computer Linguistics, decades ago, we had project where we wrote a program for entry of critical editions. The editions/texts and comments were
entered in parallel on the tty-terminal screen and stored in a database. At that time we where no interested in fancy output and used a simple stacked output.

As you probably know yourself, it is the entry and synchronization of the editions that  is the problem an not as much the layout itself, though that is hard enough by itself.
I do not see any way to do this in a normal linear single pass process. The question is in how far ConTeXt can support this task.
    1) provide possibilities of laying out the texts synchronized in columns, stacks and two page layouts. Footnotes, under, columns, pages or across
        either. Another, nice feature would be the availability of marginals in a synchronized way.
		This should be a generalized module or set of commands as it can be used in many other fields be critical editions.
		In other words a parallel texts layout package:
                        \defineparalleltextlayout[name][…]
			\setupparalleltextlayout[name][…]{…}
			\defineparalleltextpart[name][..]
			\setupparalleltextpart[name][…]{…}
			\startparalleltext[name][…]
			\stopparalleltext
                                  . . .

    2) providing commands that define which parts belong together
	        I would suggest that this be done mostly on the Lua side as you can then develop a database of sorts and worry about
                the layout/typesetting of the critical edition later.
                A package for marking up the editions directly.
			\defineeditionslayout[name][…]
			\setupeditionslayout[name][…]{…}
			\defineedition[name][..]
			\setupedition[name][…]{…}
			\starteditionsl[name][…]
			\stopeditions
			\starteditiontext{name}{text}
			\stopeditiontext
			\startauthorremarks
			\stopauthorsremarks
                                     . . .

			desired MWE:
				% definitions and setups
				\starttext
                                       % some text
                                        \starteditions[style1]
						\starteditiontext{edition1}
						       % some text
                                                 \stopeditiontext
						\starteditiontext[edition2]
 						       % some text
                                                \stopeditiontext
						\starteditiontext[edition3]
						       % some text
                                                 \stopeditiontext
                                                 \startauthorremarks
							% remark
						 \stopauthorremarks
                                        \stopeditions

						% some more text
                                       \starteditions[style1]
						\starteditiontext{edition2}
						       % some text
                                                 \stopeditiontext
						\starteditiontext{edition1}
 						       % some text
                                                \stopeditiontext
                                                 \startauthorremarks
							% remark
						 \stopauthorremarks
						\starteditiontext{edition3}
						       % some text
                                                 \stopeditiontext
                                        \stopeditions
					% some more text
                                       \starteditions[style2]
						\starteditiontext{edition1}
						       % some text
                                                 \stopeditiontext
						\starteditiontext{edition2}
 						       % some text
                                                \stopeditiontext
						\starteditiontext{edition3}
						       % some text
                                                 \stopeditiontext
                                        \stopeditions
				\stoptext

    3) Provide Lua Tools to help automate the process of synchronization of  large texts.
               This would provide a database/knowledge base of the texts which can be
                then integrated into a critical edition typeset in ConTeXt.
	        A package could already integrate the commands from 2 or that can be converted
	        into a file(s) with commands of 2 that then gets edited by the author of the critical edition.

I have just a brain stormed possible starting point. It as you can see it has quite some felixiblity as to how the texts
is entered and ConTeXt does some rearranging during typesetting.

One type of critical edition we have not discussed is when the author whats to work on a word basis. But, that is even a bigger can
of worms for collating the data/texts.

Most of what I have describe it probably obvious to you, yet

Hope this helps

regards
	Keith.

>> Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
>> directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
>> self-contained module?
>
> During development, we need to keep the code separate since we need to document what we do for our funding agency, but it will be part of ConTeXt.
>
> Thomas

* Re: announcement and call
@ 2013-11-15 12:06       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-15 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/15/2013 11:31 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>

> Am 14.11.2013 um 21:55 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>:
>
>> On 11/14/2013 09:40 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>>> What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
>>> Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
>>> parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
>>> already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
>>> sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].
>>
>> For certain values of "pressing" :-) Two pessimistic remarks about that: (1) I experimented with a mechanism that Hans build for mkii a while ago, and I found it difficult to decide how to define what was expected of parallel typesetting. In the end, I wasn't convinced that an entirely automated version was possible at all. (2) I'm afraid that's not part of the present project and is related neither to critical editions nor to bibliographies.
>
> I have to strongly disagree with you here. A critical edition is only a specialized case of parallel texts! You two or more editions that are contrasted/compared to each other.
> Naturally, it must be bibliographically annotated and there are the comments of the author of the critical edition.
>
> The  editions have to be typeset in parallel. There are many ways how an author can lay this out. In the far past it was common just to stack the contrasted versions on top of
> each other! Very very ugly. Lots of examples in libraries. More recent ways are to use column. Yet, the more editions involved the harder it is to place on one page. For such cases
> it would be best to spread them across two facing pages.
>
> The problem with the two page setup is synchronizing the comments, notes, discussion of the critical edition's author. For a half way pleasing layout these should interplaced between the contrasted editions across the two pages. Yes, not an easy task.

a lot depends on proper coding ... typesetting parallel texts is not per
se the same as multiple streams ... it all depends on what one wants to
achieve

also, if > 1 page is used then we should not limit to 2 pages (or
columns) in parallel

> I agree that it is hard to automate the synchronization of text passages. The only viable approach would be at the paragraph level. A line level approach can only be achieved by
> interaction of the author of the critical edition with synchronization marks of some sort inside the editions.

indeed. one cannot have the best of all worlds (perfect justification,
perfect note handling, perfect synchronization) because the solition
space gets too small

(one thing Thomas and I discussed shortly is more advanced pdf's with
more embedded info and so ... something for later)

we also need to look into ebook like things ...

> Early, in my education in Computer Linguistics, decades ago, we had project where we wrote a program for entry of critical editions. The editions/texts and comments were
> entered in parallel on the tty-terminal screen and stored in a database. At that time we where no interested in fancy output and used a simple stacked output.
>
> As you probably know yourself, it is the entry and synchronization of the editions that  is the problem an not as much the layout itself, though that is hard enough by itself.
> I do not see any way to do this in a normal linear single pass process. The question is in how far ConTeXt can support this task.

time, motivation, etc ...

> I have just a brain stormed possible starting point. It as you can see it has quite some felixiblity as to how the texts
> is entered and ConTeXt does some rearranging during typesetting.
>
> One type of critical edition we have not discussed is when the author whats to work on a word basis. But, that is even a bigger can
> of worms for collating the data/texts.
>
> Most of what I have describe it probably obvious to you, yet

well, keep collecting demands and examples ... best that we know what is
needed (and by how many people, for how many years to come, as it makes
no sense to develop code that is used once and then discarded because
one moves to newer technologies) ...

we also need to keep in mind that this kind of things are author driven
as publishers are not paying for this kind of things nor willing to
invest / support development of tools (if they are interested in
anything else than 25-50% profits at all).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: announcement and call