* Re: [
@ 2013-11-21 16:40 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-21 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a thread from July
(http://context.markmail.org/thread/6tgzusw45whaqghi), Marco Patzer
raised some questions that we have too. They were somewhat answered, but
I'm still not clear on what the meanings of the keywords are.

On Jul 8, 2013 4:08:33 pm Hans wrote:
> On 7/9/2013 12:30 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> >/ On 2013–07–08 Hans Hagen wrote:
> />/
> />>>/ I expect the markings on the left and right to be the same and show
> />>>/ A–C on the first page and D–E on the second one. Looks like a bug to
> />>>/ me.
> />>/
> />>/ use top and bottom
> />/
> />/ This works. Thanks.
> />/
> />>/ -- previous : last before sync
> />>/ -- next     : first after sync
> />>/
> />>/ -- top      : first in sync
> />>/ -- bottom   : last in sync
> />>/
> />>/ -- first    : first not top in sync
> />>/ -- last     : last not bottom in sync
> />/
> />/ That is exactly what's in the wiki (Command/getmarking). To my
> />/ defence: The manual (chapter 12.4) is outdated, it lists:
> />/
> />/    previous - the last of the previous page
> />/    first    - the first of the actual page
> />/    last     - the last of the actual page
> />/    both     - first — last
> />/    all      - previous — first — last
> />/
> />/ I have no idea what “first not top in sync” means, in contrast to
> />/ “first of the actual page”, which is quite clear but wrong on a
> />/ current MkIV.
> /
> old tex terminology ... in mkiv i don't use the build-in-tex marks at
> all (too much juggling needed to get things right)

So I'm wondering ... Hans, since the descriptions you posted are old tex
terminology, what do previous/next/top/bottom/first/last/etc. mean in
current terminology?
I agree with Marco that the descriptions in the ref manual are much
easier to understand, but appear to be wrong; and do not include top/bottom.
I'll be happy to update the ref manual and the wiki if I can get clear
and accurate information.

We have run many examples here, including the ones on the getmarking
wiki page, trying to understand what these keywords mean.
top/bottom do appear to do what we need in an MWE, but are not working
for us in the real document, and knowing the meaning of these keywords
would be very helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks,
Lars

* bug: \getmarking with mixedcolumns
@ 2013-11-21 18:01 ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2013 11:40 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> In a thread from July
> (http://context.markmail.org/thread/6tgzusw45whaqghi), Marco Patzer
> raised some questions that we have too. They were somewhat answered, but
> I'm still not clear on what the meanings of the keywords are.
>
> On Jul 8, 2013 4:08:33 pm Hans wrote:
>> On 7/9/2013 12:30 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
>>> / On 2013–07–08 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> />/
>> />>>/ I expect the markings on the left and right to be the same and show
>> />>>/ A–C on the first page and D–E on the second one. Looks like a bug to
>> />>>/ me.
>> />>/
>> />>/ use top and bottom
>> />/
>> />/ This works. Thanks.
>> />/
>> />>/ -- previous : last before sync
>> />>/ -- next     : first after sync
>> />>/
>> />>/ -- top      : first in sync
>> />>/ -- bottom   : last in sync
>> />>/
>> />>/ -- first    : first not top in sync
>> />>/ -- last     : last not bottom in sync
>> />/
>> />/ That is exactly what's in the wiki (Command/getmarking). To my
>> />/ defence: The manual (chapter 12.4) is outdated, it lists:
>> />/
>> />/    previous - the last of the previous page
>> />/    first    - the first of the actual page
>> />/    last     - the last of the actual page
>> />/    both     - first — last
>> />/    all      - previous — first — last
>> />/
>> />/ I have no idea what “first not top in sync” means, in contrast to
>> />/ “first of the actual page”, which is quite clear but wrong on a
>> />/ current MkIV.
>> /
>> old tex terminology ... in mkiv i don't use the build-in-tex marks at
>> all (too much juggling needed to get things right)
> So I'm wondering ... Hans, since the descriptions you posted are old tex
> terminology, what do previous/next/top/bottom/first/last/etc. mean in
> current terminology?
> I agree with Marco that the descriptions in the ref manual are much
> easier to understand, but appear to be wrong; and do not include top/bottom.
> I'll be happy to update the ref manual and the wiki if I can get clear
> and accurate information.
>
> We have run many examples here, including the ones on the getmarking
> wiki page, trying to understand what these keywords mean.
> top/bottom do appear to do what we need in an MWE, but are not working
> for us in the real document, and knowing the meaning of these keywords
> would be very helpful in troubleshooting the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Lars

I now have a MWE that shows the problem.
Where top and bottom work fine outside of columns, in mixedcolumns, any
keyword I use with \getmarking always seem to return the *last* item on
the page. Here's the MWE:
\definemarking[country]

%\startsetups myheader

%F1: \getmarking[country][1][first] - L2: \getmarking[country][2][last]

%\hfill

%T1: \getmarking[country][1][top] - B2: \getmarking[country][2][bottom]

%\stopsetups

\startsetups myheader

F: \getmarking[country][first] - L: \getmarking[country][last]

\hfill

T: \getmarking[country][top] - B: \getmarking[country][bottom]

\stopsetups

\setupheadertexts[\setups{myheader}][][][\setups{myheader}]

\def\anothersection#1{

\marking[country]{#1}

{\bfb #1 \endgraf}

\dorecurse{1}{\input knuth \endgraf}

\marking[country]{#1}

}

\starttext

\startmixedcolumns[distance=5mm, balance=yes]

\anothersection{Brazil}

\anothersection{Suriname}

\anothersection{Uruguay}

\anothersection{Bolivia}

\anothersection{Venezuela}

\anothersection{Peru}

\stopmixedcolumns

\stoptext

When you run the MWE, you see that all the fields in the page header
show the same value: whatever country appears last on the page. (Or
even, depending on how you tweak the length of the country text, if the
old page.)

I also tried using column numbers, in imitation of the columnsets
example on the wiki at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/getmarking

\startsetups myheader

F1: \getmarking[country][1][first] - L2: \getmarking[country][2][last]

\hfill

T1: \getmarking[country][1][top] - B2: \getmarking[country][2][bottom]

\stopsetups

But this didn't appear to make any difference. Maybe it works for
columnsets but not for mixedcolumns. Does anyone know how to get correct
results for \getmarking in mixedcolumns?

Thanks,
Lars

* Re: bug: \getmarking with mixedcolumns
@ 2013-11-21 18:53   ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-21 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2013 1:01 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> I now have a MWE that shows the problem. Where top and bottom work
> fine outside of columns, in mixedcolumns, any keyword I use with
> \getmarking always seem to return the *last* item on the page.

I sometimes forget to include our version info.
MKIV, the Context version from TeX Live 2013.

Lars

* Re: bug: \getmarking with mixedcolumns
@ 2013-11-22 21:34   ` Hans Hagen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-22 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/21/2013 7:01 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:

> I now have a MWE that shows the problem.
> Where top and bottom work fine outside of columns, in mixedcolumns, any
> keyword I use with \getmarking always seem to return the *last* item on
> the page. Here's the MWE:

I changed the example a bit

\setupbodyfont[dejavu]

\definemarking[country]

\startsetups myheader

(\getmarking[country][1][top]\enspace\emdash\enspace\getmarking[country][1][bottom])
     \hfill

(\getmarking[country][2][top]\enspace\emdash\enspace\getmarking[country][2][bottom])
\stopsetups

\setupheadertexts
   [\setups{myheader}][]
   [][\setups{myheader}]

\def\anothersection#1%
   {\par
    \dontleavehmode
    \marking[country]{#1}%
    \start\bf #1 \endgraf\stop
    \quad
    test
    \par}

\starttext
     \startmixedcolumns[distance=5mm, balance=yes]
         \anothersection{Brazil}
        %\anothersection{Suriname}
        %\anothersection{Uruguay}
        %\anothersection{Bolivia}
        %\anothersection{Venezuela}
         \anothersection{Peru}
     \stopmixedcolumns
\stoptext

The problem, is/was that mixed columns had not yet mark synchronization
enabled. I uploaded a new beta. In the process I also made marks a bit
more restrictive but it might have (yet unknown) side effects.

\enabledirectives[marks.boxestoo]

can be used to see the effect of this.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-11-22 21:43     ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-22 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/22/2013 4:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 7:01 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> I now have a MWE that shows the problem.
>> Where top and bottom work fine outside of columns, in mixedcolumns, any
>> keyword I use with \getmarking always seem to return the *last* item on
>> the page. Here's the MWE:
>
> I changed the example a bit
>
> \setupbodyfont[dejavu]
>
> \definemarking[country]
>
> \startsetups myheader
>
> (\getmarking[country][1][top]\enspace\emdash\enspace\getmarking[country][1][bottom])
>
>     \hfill
>
> (\getmarking[country][2][top]\enspace\emdash\enspace\getmarking[country][2][bottom])
>
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupheadertexts
>   [\setups{myheader}][]
>   [][\setups{myheader}]
>
> \def\anothersection#1%
>   {\par
>    \dontleavehmode
>    \marking[country]{#1}%
>    \start\bf #1 \endgraf\stop
>    \quad
>    test
>    \par}
>
> \starttext
>     \startmixedcolumns[distance=5mm, balance=yes]
>         \anothersection{Brazil}
>        %\anothersection{Suriname}
>        %\anothersection{Uruguay}
>        %\anothersection{Bolivia}
>        %\anothersection{Venezuela}
>         \anothersection{Peru}
>     \stopmixedcolumns
> \stoptext
>
> The problem, is/was that mixed columns had not yet mark
> synchronization enabled. I uploaded a new beta. In the process I also
> made marks a bit more restrictive but it might have (yet unknown) side
> effects.
>
> \enabledirectives[marks.boxestoo]
>
> can be used to see the effect of this.

Thanks. We will try this out.

@ 2013-11-26 21:54     ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-26 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/22/2013 4:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 7:01 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> I now have a MWE that shows the problem.
>> Where top and bottom work fine outside of columns, in mixedcolumns, any
>> keyword I use with \getmarking always seem to return the *last* item on
>> the page. Here's the MWE:
>
> I changed the example a bit
>
> \setupbodyfont[dejavu]
>
> \definemarking[country]
>
> \startsetups myheader
>
> (\getmarking[country][1][top]\enspace\emdash\enspace\getmarking[country][1][bottom])
>
>     \hfill
>
> (\getmarking[country][2][top]\enspace\emdash\enspace\getmarking[country][2][bottom])
>
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupheadertexts
>   [\setups{myheader}][]
>   [][\setups{myheader}]
>
> \def\anothersection#1%
>   {\par
>    \dontleavehmode
>    \marking[country]{#1}%
>    \start\bf #1 \endgraf\stop
>    \quad
>    test
>    \par}
>
> \starttext
>     \startmixedcolumns[distance=5mm, balance=yes]
>         \anothersection{Brazil}
>        %\anothersection{Suriname}
>        %\anothersection{Uruguay}
>        %\anothersection{Bolivia}
>        %\anothersection{Venezuela}
>         \anothersection{Peru}
>     \stopmixedcolumns
> \stoptext
>
> The problem, is/was that mixed columns had not yet mark
> synchronization enabled. I uploaded a new beta.

When I use the new beta (using 2013.11.26), marking works better, with
the following caveats:

1) The column number argument is required; using
\getmarking[country][top] instead of \getmarking[country][1][top] still
returns the wrong value. This is not a problem for us, but it's
important to know, because if you leave out the column number argument,
there is no error given, and AFAIR the documentation doesn't tell you
it's required.

2) Sometimes \getmark[country][n][bottom] returns the country at the top
of column n+1 (or column 1 on the next page). In your example above,
\getmarking[country][1][bottom] shows Peru, which is in column 2,
instead of Brazil. This can be a significant problem for us, unless we
can find a way to fix it.
Did you get a different result?

> In the process I also made marks a bit more restrictive but it might
> have (yet unknown) side effects.
>
> \enabledirectives[marks.boxestoo]
>
> can be used to see the effect of this.

I tried this with your example above, but didn't see anything change.
Are we supposed to see some colored boxes around the marks?

Thanks again,
Lars

* bug in beta: \tab results in text overlap
@ 2013-11-27 16:08     ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-27 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/22/2013 4:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> The problem, is/was that mixed columns had not yet mark
> synchronization enabled. I uploaded a new beta. In the process I also
> made marks a bit more restrictive but it might have (yet unknown) side
> effects.

Hans, I tried the beta of 2013.11.26, and as mentioned in a previous
email, it fixes the \getmarking problem pretty well. However the same
beta has a fatal problem for us: lists using \tab are now broken.

MWE:
\starttext
    \tab{AC}Autonomous Community\par
    \tab{\it alt.}alternate name for\par
\stoptext

In the TeX Live 2013 version of mkiv, this gives us a nice table with
the headword separated from the definition.
In the beta, the headword and the definition start at the same
horizontal position, and overlap each other.

We use these lists in the context of mixedcolumns, but the overlap
behavior occurs regardless of mixedcolumns.

Any help would be appreciated. If we can't fix or work around this
problem, we may have to abandon the beta and go back to TeX Live 2013,
which means our page header guide words would be incorrect.

Lars

* Re: bug in beta: \tab results in text overlap
@ 2013-11-27 16:47       ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/27/2013 11:08 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:

> I tried the beta of 2013.11.26, and as mentioned in a previous
> email, it fixes the \getmarking problem pretty well. However the same
> beta has a fatal problem for us: lists using \tab are now broken.
>
> MWE:
> \starttext
>     \tab{AC}Autonomous Community\par
>     \tab{\it alt.}alternate name for\par
> \stoptext
>
> In the TeX Live 2013 version of mkiv, this gives us a nice table with
> the headword separated from the definition.
> In the beta, the headword and the definition start at the same
> horizontal position, and overlap each other.
>
> We use these lists in the context of mixedcolumns, but the overlap
> behavior occurs regardless of mixedcolumns.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. If we can't fix or work around this
> problem, we may have to abandon the beta and go back to TeX Live 2013,
> which means our page header guide words would be incorrect.

Well, it's probably not quite that fatal for our project, because it
looks like the \definedescription mechanism can be used to replace \tab,
and does not suffer from the same problem in the beta.

Nevertheless I thought someone would like to know that \tab has stopped
working, so it can be fixed (or documented as obsolete, in favor of
\definedescription).

@ 2013-11-27 21:07       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-27 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/27/2013 5:08 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 4:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> The problem, is/was that mixed columns had not yet mark
>> synchronization enabled. I uploaded a new beta. In the process I also
>> made marks a bit more restrictive but it might have (yet unknown) side
>> effects.
>
> Hans, I tried the beta of 2013.11.26, and as mentioned in a previous
> email, it fixes the \getmarking problem pretty well. However the same
> beta has a fatal problem for us: lists using \tab are now broken.
>
> MWE:
> \starttext
>      \tab{AC}Autonomous Community\par
>      \tab{\it alt.}alternate name for\par
> \stoptext
>
> In the TeX Live 2013 version of mkiv, this gives us a nice table with
> the headword separated from the definition.
> In the beta, the headword and the definition start at the same
> horizontal position, and overlap each other.

side effect of automatically cleaning up spaces (skips) ...

\setupdescription
   [tab]
   [sample=\kern4\emwidth] % was \hskip

fixed in next version