* Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13  5:37 Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-01-13  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to include a single test page in my document. The
following code fails to set the PDF as the background layer for the
cover page. I've tried several variations
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Including_pages_from_PDF_documents),
but nothing works. It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
being included.

The code:

-- 8< --

\def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}

\definelayer[page:CoverPicture][
  x=0mm,y=0mm,width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,
]

% Set the layer content to be an image that is scaled to fit the page.
\setlayer[page:CoverPicture]{%
  \externalfigure[\PictureFrontCover][
    width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,
  ]
}

\starttext
\startfrontmatter
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=page:CoverPicture]
\startstandardmakeup
\stopstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
  Hello world!
\stopbodymatter
\stoptext

-- 8< --

Thoughts?

* Re: Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13 12:13 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2014-01-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2014 06:37, schrieb Thangalin:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to include a single test page in my document. The
> following code fails to set the PDF as the background layer for the
> cover page. I've tried several variations
> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Including_pages_from_PDF_documents),
> but nothing works. It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
> being included.
>
> The code:
>
> -- 8< --
>
> \def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}
                         ^^^^

Mh, is there a resolver for http-adresses in ConTeXt? I guess if you use
a local file path, things should work as expected (not tested).

Peter

> \definelayer[page:CoverPicture][
>   x=0mm,y=0mm,width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,
> ]
>
> % Set the layer content to be an image that is scaled to fit the page.
> \setlayer[page:CoverPicture]{%
>   \externalfigure[\PictureFrontCover][
>     width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,
>   ]
> }
>
> \starttext
> \startfrontmatter
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=page:CoverPicture]
> \startstandardmakeup
> \stopstandardmakeup
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=]
> \stopfrontmatter
>
> \startbodymatter
>   Hello world!
> \stopbodymatter
> \stoptext
>
> -- 8< --
>
> Thoughts?

* Re: Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13 12:29   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-13 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/13/2014 1:13 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 13.01.2014 06:37, schrieb Thangalin:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to include a single test page in my document. The
>> following code fails to set the PDF as the background layer for the
>> cover page. I've tried several variations
>> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Including_pages_from_PDF_documents),
>> but nothing works. It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
>> being included.
>>
>> The code:
>>
>> -- 8< --
>>
>> \def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}
>                           ^^^^
>
> Mh, is there a resolver for http-adresses in ConTeXt? I guess if you use
> a local file path, things should work as expected (not tested).

sure there is ... already for many years

(as luigi mentioned, the pdf is bugged so it depends on how good a pdf
handler can recover)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13 12:36     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2014-01-13 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2014 13:29, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 1/13/2014 1:13 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 13.01.2014 06:37, schrieb Thangalin:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to include a single test page in my document. The
>>> following code fails to set the PDF as the background layer for the
>>> cover page. I've tried several variations
>>> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Including_pages_from_PDF_documents),
>>> but nothing works. It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
>>> being included.
>>>
>>> The code:
>>>
>>> -- 8< --
>>>
>>> \def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}
>>                           ^^^^
>>
>> Mh, is there a resolver for http-adresses in ConTeXt? I guess if you use
>> a local file path, things should work as expected (not tested).
>
> sure there is ... already for many years

I see. Never tried, never needed it. But I guess I was naive to assume
the lack of such a feature..  ;-)

Peter

> (as luigi mentioned, the pdf is bugged so it depends on how good a pdf
> handler can recover)
>
> Hans

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13 14:39 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-01-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-01-13 um 11:37 schrieb Thangalin <thangalin@gmail.com>:

> It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
> being included.
>
> \def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}

Yes, the PDF is encrypted; it is only displayable, but not changeable or embeddable.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13 15:12   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2014-01-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/13/2014 03:39 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2014-01-13 um 11:37 schrieb Thangalin <thangalin@gmail.com>:
>
>> It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
>> being included.
>>
>> \def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}
>
> Yes, the PDF is encrypted; it is only displayable, but not changeable or embeddable.

I didn't think we cared about that ...

Taco

* Re: Include PDF Fails
@ 2014-01-13 15:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/13/2014 4:12 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 03:39 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>> Am 2014-01-13 um 11:37 schrieb Thangalin <thangalin@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> It seems to be a problem with this specific PDF
>>> being included.
>>>
>>> \def\PictureFrontCover{http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf}
>>
>> Yes, the PDF is encrypted; it is only displayable, but not changeable
>> or embeddable.
>
> I didn't think we cared about that ...

aha, encrypted .... we missed that

Hans