* xterm dynamic title
@ 2014-01-29 11:33 Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2014-01-29 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Using xterm and related emulators, one can set a dynamic title. Many
applications set this title. (Of course, the user can program the
emulator to ignore such dynamic titles, if preferred).

I find it useful, especially when I have many terminal windows open,
all running different processes in parallel. May I suggest the
following simple change to the context script:

#!/bin/sh
case "$TERM" in
  *xterm*) echo -e -n "\e]0;${0##*/} $*\a" ;;
esac
mtxrun --script context "$@"

1. Perhaps it would be preferred to implement such a feature in the
mtx-context.lua script, for example, rather than the shell script, as
one could then add useful information such as the run number. Also, one
may (or may not) want to do this when running -batch, etc.

2. On non-unix-like systems, perhaps the $TERM case would be different.

Alan

* Re: xterm dynamic title
@ 2014-01-29 12:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/29/2014 12:33 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using xterm and related emulators, one can set a dynamic title. Many
> applications set this title. (Of course, the user can program the
> emulator to ignore such dynamic titles, if preferred).
>
> I find it useful, especially when I have many terminal windows open,
> all running different processes in parallel. May I suggest the
> following simple change to the context script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> case "$TERM" in
>    *xterm*) echo -e -n "\e]0;${0##*/} $*\a" ;;
> esac
> mtxrun --script context "$@"
>

> 1. Perhaps it would be preferred to implement such a feature in the
> mtx-context.lua script, for example, rather than the shell script, as
> one could then add useful information such as the run number. Also, one
> may (or may not) want to do this when running -batch, etc.
>
> 2. On non-unix-like systems, perhaps the $TERM case would be different.

mtxrun already has (as kind of joke) a --ansi option, so you can see
what happens if you add in the relevant section of mtxrun(.lua)

     local script = e_argument("script") or e_argument("scripts")

     if type(script) == "string" then
         logs.writer("^[]0;"..script.."\a")
     end

that is (when not seen in mail:

         logs.writer("^[<eschr>]0;"..script.."<bellchr>\a")

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE