* strange behavior with \groupedcommand in recent versions of LMTX
@ 2020-09-01 15:47 mf
From: mf @ 2020-09-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,
this is a MWE that worked right in MkIV and in LMTX versions (at least)
until April 22nd, 2020.

There's a macro, \wordorparagraphright, that takes one argument, makes a
hbox with it and measures its width

- if its width is less than \hsize, then it calls \wordright

- if its width is more than \hsize, then it ends the current paragraph
and starts a right-aligned paragraph with the argument

There are two implementations in the MWE: one is through
\groupedcommand, and that's the one that worked once and doesn't now.

\unexpanded\def\groupedwordorparagraphright{\dosingleempty\dogroupedwordorparagraphright}
\def\dogroupedwordorparagraphright[#1]{\groupedcommand{\setbox\scratchbox\hbox\bgroup}
{\egroup\ifdim\wd\scratchbox < \hsize
     \wordright{\unhbox\scratchbox}
   \else
     \par\penalty10000
     \startalignment[flushright]\unhbox\scratchbox\stopalignment
   \fi}}

\unexpanded\def\wordorparagraphright#1{%
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}
   \ifdim\wd\scratchbox < \hsize
     \wordright{#1}
   \else
     \par\penalty10000
     \startalignment[flushright]\unhbox\scratchbox\stopalignment
   \fi}

\starttext
   \type{\wordorparagraphright} should use \type{\wordright} if its argument
   is narrower than \type{\hsize}, or make a right-aligned paragraph with it
   when it's wider.

   Below, \type{\wordorparagraphright} is tested with a short text, that
   has enough room on the same line.
   \blank

   Reference:

   \input ward\wordright{same line, right}

   \blank

   Implementation as a grouped command (it doesn't work):

   \input ward\groupedwordorparagraphright{same line, right}

   \blank

   Normal implementation, not as a grouped command (it works):

   \input ward\wordorparagraphright{same line, right}
\stoptext

Unfortunately the grouped version is the one I need, because it's used
in a register, and it would give an error if not defined through
\groupedcommand:

\setupregister[myregister]
   [pageleft=\wordorparagraphright\bgroup,pageright=\egroup]

TIA,
Massi

* Re: strange behavior with \groupedcommand in recent versions of LMTX
@ 2020-09-01 17:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-09-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/1/2020 5:47 PM, mf wrote:
> \unexpanded\def\groupedwordorparagraphright{\dosingleempty\dogroupedwordorparagraphright}
>
> \def\dogroupedwordorparagraphright[#1]{\groupedcommand{\setbox\scratchbox\hbox\bgroup}
>
> {\egroup\ifdim\wd\scratchbox < \hsize
>      \wordright{\unhbox\scratchbox}
>    \else
>      \par\penalty10000
>      \startalignment[flushright]\unhbox\scratchbox\stopalignment
>    \fi}}
>
> \unexpanded\def\wordorparagraphright#1{%
>    \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}
>    \ifdim\wd\scratchbox < \hsize
>      \wordright{#1}
>    \else
>      \par\penalty10000
>      \startalignment[flushright]\unhbox\scratchbox\stopalignment
>    \fi}
>
> \starttext
>    \type{\wordorparagraphright} should use \type{\wordright} if its
> argument
>    is narrower than \type{\hsize}, or make a right-aligned paragraph
> with it
>    when it's wider.
>
>    Below, \type{\wordorparagraphright} is tested with a short text, that
>    has enough room on the same line.
>    \blank
>
>    Reference:
>
>    \input ward\wordright{same line, right}
>
>    \blank
>
>    Implementation as a grouped command (it doesn't work):
>
>    \input ward\groupedwordorparagraphright{same line, right}
>
>    \blank
>
>    Normal implementation, not as a grouped command (it works):
>
>    \input ward\wordorparagraphright{same line, right}
> \stoptext
>
> Unfortunately the grouped version is the one I need, because it's used
> in a register, and it would give an error if not defined through
> \groupedcommand:
>
> \setupregister[myregister]
>    [pageleft=\wordorparagraphright\bgroup,pageright=\egroup]

fortunately there is a solution that takes less code:

\unexpanded\def\whatever
   {\dosingleempty\dowhatever}

\def\dowhatever[#1]%
   {\dowithnextbox
      {\ifdim\wd\nextbox<\hsize
         \wordright{\box\nextbox}%
         \par
       \else
         \par
         \penalty10000
         \startalignment[flushright]\unhbox\nextbox\stopalignment
       \fi}\hbox}

\starttext

   \input ward \whatever{same line, right}

   \blank

   \input ward \whatever{\input tufte }

\stoptext

* Re: strange behavior with \groupedcommand in recent versions of LMTX
@ 2020-09-02  9:10   ` mf
From: mf @ 2020-09-02  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,
this solves the problem I had with the new implementation of \wordright.
It's not exactly a problem of \wordright, but the combination with
\groupedcommand.

Is \nextbox a new entry of latest versions?

I've seen also \nextboxwd, \nextboxht, etc.
So you can measure the next box to come in advance. Is it like that?

Is it a vbox when you're in vertical mode and a hbox when you are in
horizontal mode?

Is this interpretation of \dowithnextbox in \dowhatever right?

\dowithnextbox {.1.} \.2. {.3.}
1 COMMAND = {\ifdim\wd\nextbox<\hsize...}
2 CSNAME  = \hbox
3 CONTENT = {#1}

Massi

@ 2020-09-02 11:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-09-02 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/2/2020 11:10 AM, mf wrote:
> Thanks Hans,
> this solves the problem I had with the new implementation of \wordright.
> It's not exactly a problem of \wordright, but the combination with
> \groupedcommand.

that is always tricky as what happens is postponing till the group ends

but wordright now kind of hooks into the par construction

> Is \nextbox a new entry of latest versions?

no, actually one of the oldest things

> I've seen also \nextboxwd, \nextboxht, etc.
> So you can measure the next box to come in advance. Is it like that?
>
> Is it a vbox when you're in vertical mode and a hbox when you are in
> horizontal mode?

you just pass the box

> Is this interpretation of \dowithnextbox in \dowhatever right?
>
> \dowithnextbox {.1.} \.2. {.3.}
> 1 COMMAND = {\ifdim\wd\nextbox<\hsize...}
> 2 CSNAME  = \hbox or \vbox
> 3 CONTENT = {#1}
yes

Hans