* Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19  1:47 Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2020-12-19  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Recently I read about the use of Harfbuzz-enhanced LuaTeX with LaTeX for writing Arabic. Following that example, I wrote a minimal test text that worked excellently for Kannada script as well:

-----
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\setmainfont{Kedage}[RawFeature={mode=harf;script=knda;}]

\begin{document}
ಇದು ಹೇಗಿದೆ? ನಾನು ಹೀಗೆ ತುಂಬ ಬರೆಯಬೇಕೆಂದು ಯೋಚಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ.
\end{document}
-----

I want to do this in ConTeXt too! Can anyone tell me how to translate “\setmainfont{Kedage}[RawFeature={mode=harf;script=knda;}]” into ConTeXt? This could be the key to using MkIV with Indic scripts.

Robert

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19  2:42 ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-12-19  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

You need to use the LuaHBTeX backend which isn't actually supported by
ConTeXt (and Hans doesn't like it either, I think). There's a plugin mode,
however. If not in the mailing list, more info about Harfbuzz in ConTeXt is
available in some articles.

Regards,

Jairo

El vie., 18 de dic. de 2020 9:24 p. m., Robert Zydenbos <
context@zydenbos.net> escribió:

> Dear all,
>
> Recently I read about the use of Harfbuzz-enhanced LuaTeX with LaTeX for
> writing Arabic. Following that example, I wrote a minimal test text that
> worked excellently for Kannada script as well:
>
> -----
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> \setmainfont{Kedage}[RawFeature={mode=harf;script=knda;}]
>
> \begin{document}
> ಇದು ಹೇಗಿದೆ? ನಾನು ಹೀಗೆ ತುಂಬ ಬರೆಯಬೇಕೆಂದು ಯೋಚಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ.
> \end{document}
> -----
>
> I want to do this in ConTeXt too! Can anyone tell me how to translate
> “\setmainfont{Kedage}[RawFeature={mode=harf;script=knda;}]” into ConTeXt?
> This could be the key to using MkIV with Indic scripts.
>
> Robert

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19  8:10 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-12-19  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Zydenbos schrieb am 19.12.2020 um 02:47:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently I read about the use of Harfbuzz-enhanced LuaTeX with LaTeX for writing Arabic. Following that example, I wrote a minimal test text that worked excellently for Kannada script as well:
>
> -----
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> \setmainfont{Kedage}[RawFeature={mode=harf;script=knda;}]
>
> \begin{document}
> ಇದು ಹೇಗಿದೆ? ನಾನು ಹೀಗೆ ತುಂಬ ಬರೆಯಬೇಕೆಂದು ಯೋಚಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ.
> \end{document}
> -----
>
> I want to do this in ConTeXt too! Can anyone tell me how to translate “\setmainfont{Kedage}[RawFeature={mode=harf;script=knda;}]” into ConTeXt? This could be the key to using MkIV with Indic scripts.

%\definefontfamily [kannada] [rm] [Kedage] [features=kannada-one]
\definefontfamily [kannada] [ss] [Tunga] [features=kannada-one]

\definetypeface [kannada] [mm] [math] [modern]

\setupbodyfont [kannada]

\starttext
ಇದು ಹೇಗಿದೆ? ನಾನು ಹೀಗೆ ತುಂಬ ಬರೆಯಬೇಕೆಂದು ಯೋಚಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ.
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19 13:59   ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2020-12-19 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19.12.20 09:10, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

YES… YES!
YES YES YES YES YES YES (I'm trying to express enthusiasm.) That's it!

The remaining question here is: where do I find such magical expressions like "features=kannada-one"? (Why "kannada-one"? "One"???) If I know that, then (so I assume) I could do the very same with the other Indian scripts which I use in my work.

Robert

> \definefontfamily [kannada] [ss] [Tunga] [features=kannada-one]
>
> \definetypeface [kannada] [mm] [math] [modern]
>
> \setupbodyfont [kannada]
>
> \starttext
> ಇದು ಹೇಗಿದೆ? ನಾನು ಹೀಗೆ ತುಂಬ ಬರೆಯಬೇಕೆಂದು ಯೋಚಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ.
> \stoptext

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19 14:06   ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2020-12-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 19.12.20 03:42, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:

> You need to use the LuaHBTeX backend which isn't actually supported by ConTeXt (and Hans doesn't like it either, I think). There's a plugin mode, however. If not in the mailing list, more info about Harfbuzz in ConTeXt is available in some articles.

I tried Wolfgang's amendment (see his posting) just now using MacTeX 2020, and the plain LuaTeX without Harfbuzz worked well too.

Regards,

Robert

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19 19:06     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-12-19 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/19/20 2:59 PM, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
> On 19.12.20 09:10, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> YES… YES!
> YES YES YES YES YES YES (I'm trying to express enthusiasm.) That's it!
>
> The remaining question here is: where do I find such magical
> expressions like "features=kannada-one"? (Why "kannada-one"?
> "One"???) If I know that, then (so I assume) I could do the very same
> with the other Indian scripts which I use in my work.
Hi Robert,

this is from font-pre.mkxl (and I assume font-pre.mkiv [I mean, the same
file for MkIV and LMTX).

The features for Indic scripts seem to be (sorry, I’m totally ignorant
outside the Latin or Greek scripts): devanagari-one, bengali-one,
gujarati-one, gurmukhi-one, kannada-one, malayalam-one, oriya-one,
tamil-one, telugu-one.

There are one versions, because they are also two counterparts
(devanagari-two, bengali-two, gujarati-two, gurmukhi-two, kannada-two,
malayalam-two, oriya-two, tamil-two, telugu-two).

What the OpenType specification includes as script tags
(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/scripttags)
contains second versions for what might be some (or all [I’m afraid I
don’t know]) Indic scripts.

Why are second versions? Using their own words:

“The OpenType script tags can also correlate with a particular OpenType
Layout implementation, with the result that more than one script tag may
be registered for a given Unicode script (e.g. 'deva' and 'dev2').”

I hope the description above might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19 19:46       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-12-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/19/2020 8:06 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 12/19/20 2:59 PM, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
>> On 19.12.20 09:10, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> YES… YES!
>> YES YES YES YES YES YES (I'm trying to express enthusiasm.) That's it!
>>
>> The remaining question here is: where do I find such magical
>> expressions like "features=kannada-one"? (Why "kannada-one"?
>> "One"???) If I know that, then (so I assume) I could do the very same
>> with the other Indian scripts which I use in my work.
> Hi Robert,
>
> this is from font-pre.mkxl (and I assume font-pre.mkiv [I mean, the same
> file for MkIV and LMTX).
>
> The features for Indic scripts seem to be (sorry, I’m totally ignorant
> outside the Latin or Greek scripts): devanagari-one, bengali-one,
> gujarati-one, gurmukhi-one, kannada-one, malayalam-one, oriya-one,
> tamil-one, telugu-one.
>
> There are one versions, because they are also two counterparts
> (devanagari-two, bengali-two, gujarati-two, gurmukhi-two, kannada-two,
> malayalam-two, oriya-two, tamil-two, telugu-two).
>
> What the OpenType specification includes as script tags
> (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/scripttags)
> contains second versions for what might be some (or all [I’m afraid I
> don’t know]) Indic scripts.
>
> Why are second versions? Using their own words:
>
> “The OpenType script tags can also correlate with a particular OpenType
> Layout implementation, with the result that more than one script tag may
> be registered for a given Unicode script (e.g. 'deva' and 'dev2').”
>
> I hope the description above might help,
can you wikify this?

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19 20:27         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-12-19 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/19/20 8:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> I hope the description above might help,
> can you wikify this?

Of course. Although Robert should review it (to avoid the nonsense I may
add to it)

BTW, I wonder whether it would be possible to add hyphenation patterns
for Kannada (Robert may benefit from that).

It might be even worth considering adding hyphenation patterns for all
Indic languages (https://github.com/hyphenation/tex-hyphen).

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-19 21:12         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-12-19 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/19/20 8:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
> can you wikify this?

Wikified at https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indic_Scripts.

Please, Robert, could you improve it?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Indic fonts with MkIV and
@ 2020-12-20  0:00           ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2020-12-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'll do some testing and see what I can contribute.

Robert