* Standalone
@ 2014-03-01 12:42 hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2014-03-01 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On my system I already have Cygwin.  I want to install the standalone Context.

Which involves basically:

   mkdir -o /opt/context
   cd /opt/context
   wget "http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
   chmod 744 first-setup.sh
   ./first-setup.sh

   #this works up to this point only partially.

 - /opt/context/tex  is not installed.   This is a bad error.  It causes
  - first-setup.sh to fail.

And what is loaded will cause conflicts with cygwin which already exists, I believe.
I can't see why rsync is use to load anothe versio of rsync in a diff location.

   #1. Why does 1st setup duplicate Cygwin dlls?   I've hurd that having multiple
        cygwin*.dlls can cause problems.   Besideds They already exist and so does
	luatex.exe for that matter.  'first-setup.sh' should know that it does a test
        for CYGWIN, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

   #2. Also redundant and confusing is first-setup.sh forces the fetching of rsync by
       an already existing rsync.  Is rsync already exists, why fetch another one and
       put it in a different location.

I have texlive for unix on a cygwin platform, on top of an XP system.

I want to make installing the standalone easy for cyginw and linux.

#
# Firstly, exactly what packages are needed for context?
#  I assume it's one or more of the mtx prefixed programs below.  Please advise.

  - mtx-update.lua

  - mtxrun.exe
  - mtxrun.dll
  - mtxrun.lua

  - lua52.dll
  - luatex.dll   Is this needed in addition to luatex.exe?
  - luatex.exe   <Note: cygwin has  luatex.exe  same functionality?>

  - kpathsea620.dll  <Note:  TeXLive has kpath related code>

I understand that there are not a lot of people experimenting with the latest ConTeXt
and even less for the Cygin platform.  But, I would like to make it easer and clearer for Cygwin users who do want to experiement with the latest versions.

I don't know if installing for a native linux version is easier or more straightforward or not.

Regards.

* Re: Standalone
@ 2014-03-02  0:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-03-02  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/1/2014 1:42 PM, hwitloc@gmail.com wrote:

> On my system I already have Cygwin.  I want to install the standalone Context.
>
> Which involves basically:
>
>     mkdir -o /opt/context
>     cd /opt/context
>     wget "http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
>     chmod 744 first-setup.sh
>     ./first-setup.sh
>
>     #this works up to this point only partially.
>
>   - /opt/context/tex  is not installed.   This is a bad error.  It causes
>    - first-setup.sh to fail.
>
> And what is loaded will cause conflicts with cygwin which already exists, I believe.
> I can't see why rsync is use to load anothe versio of rsync in a diff location.
>
>     #1. Why does 1st setup duplicate Cygwin dlls?   I've hurd that having multiple
>          cygwin*.dlls can cause problems.   Besideds They already exist and so does
> 	luatex.exe for that matter.  'first-setup.sh' should know that it does a test
>          for CYGWIN, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

at some point we will switch to mingw rsync (has been tested a while
ago) so then the dll's will go

>     #2. Also redundant and confusing is first-setup.sh forces the fetching of rsync by
>         an already existing rsync.  Is rsync already exists, why fetch another one and
>         put it in a different location.

because figuring out what is available is more work (and we want the
rsync to match the one at the server)

> I have texlive for unix on a cygwin platform, on top of an XP system.
>
> I want to make installing the standalone easy for cyginw and linux.

afaik it's easy alreasdu on linux

> #
> # Firstly, exactly what packages are needed for context?
> #  I assume it's one or more of the mtx prefixed programs below.  Please advise.
>
>    - mtx-update.lua
>
>    - mtxrun.exe
>    - mtxrun.dll
>    - mtxrun.lua
>
>    - lua52.dll
>    - luatex.dll   Is this needed in addition to luatex.exe?
>    - luatex.exe   <Note: cygwin has  luatex.exe  same functionality?>
>
>    - kpathsea620.dll  <Note:  TeXLive has kpath related code>
>

> I understand that there are not a lot of people experimenting with the latest ConTeXt
> and even less for the Cygin platform.  But, I would like to make it easer and clearer for Cygwin users who do want to experiement with the latest versions.

eh .. i bet tat most users use the latest context but you're probably
right that not that many users are on cygwin (if u need unix alongside
windows i use a vm) as there are native windows binaries (makes me
wonder if these can be run inside cygwin)

> I don't know if installing for a native linux version is easier or more straightforward or not

installing on linux or osx or windows is equally straightforward (same
process once you donloaded the installation files); updating is even
less work

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Standalone
@ 2014-05-03 11:35 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2014-05-03 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sending the reply with a tiny bit of delay ... but I would be
grateful for some testing of modifications I have done.

---------------------

It took me a while to actually understand the problem.

cygwin support has an interesting history:
- at first, no support
- then tried to setup the support by native cygwin binaries
- the original

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:42 PM,   wrote:
> On my system I already have Cygwin.  I want to install the standalone Context.
>
> Which involves basically:
>
>    mkdir -o /opt/context
>    cd /opt/context
>    wget "http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
>    chmod 744 first-setup.sh
>    ./first-setup.sh
>
>    #this works up to this point only partially.
>
>  - /opt/context/tex  is not installed.   This is a bad error.  It causes
>   - first-setup.sh to fail.
>
> And what is loaded will cause conflicts with cygwin which already exists, I believe.
> I can't see why rsync is use to load anothe versio of rsync in a diff location.
>
>    #1. Why does 1st setup duplicate Cygwin dlls?

Because 99% of Windows users don't have rsync installed. And because
the version of rsync we are using links against cygwin's dlls.

But if you ask why it fetched that under cygwin, the answer is most
probably "because everyone attempting to install minimals under cygwin
gave up or vanished before we were able to fix the issues".

>         I've hurd that having multiple
>         cygwin*.dlls can cause problems.   Besideds They already exist and so does
>         luatex.exe for that matter.  'first-setup.sh' should know that it does a test
>         for CYGWIN, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.
>
>    #2. Also redundant and confusing is first-setup.sh forces the fetching of rsync by
>        an already existing rsync.  Is rsync already exists, why fetch another one and
>        put it in a different location.

In past we had special cygwin-specific binaries, but those building
them gave up. So we switched to fetching the "regular" windows
binaries and forgot about the fact that cygwin users wouldn't want to
install rsync & cygwin's dlls.

> I have texlive for unix on a cygwin platform, on top of an XP system.
>
> I want to make installing the standalone easy for cyginw and linux.

On linux it should be easy already, but if you have some specific
suggestion(s), let me know.

> #
> # Firstly, exactly what packages are needed for context?
> #  I assume it's one or more of the mtx prefixed programs below.  Please advise.
>
>   - mtx-update.lua
>
>   - mtxrun.exe
>   - mtxrun.dll
>   - mtxrun.lua
>
>   - lua52.dll
>   - luatex.dll   Is this needed in addition to luatex.exe?

Yes, luatex.exe is only 1.5K and depends on it.

>   - luatex.exe   <Note: cygwin has  luatex.exe  same functionality?>

Probably yes (unless you have a different version of luatex yourself).

>   - kpathsea620.dll  <Note:  TeXLive has kpath related code>

I didn't understand.

> I understand that there are not a lot of people experimenting with the latest ConTeXt
> and even less for the Cygin platform.

There are a lot of people using the latest ConTeXt (for a certain
meaning of "a lot": it's definitely less than the number of latex or
MS Word users, but still a reasonable number). But the cross section
of those and cygwin users might well be asymptotically approaching
zero (or one, now that you are attempting it).

>  But, I would like to make it easier and clearer for Cygwin users who do want to experiement with the latest versions.

I tried to fix a few problems. Can you please try again.

> I don't know if installing for a native linux version is easier or more straightforward or not.

At least there should not be any problems with fetching rsync and
shared libraries on Linux. Feel free to try.

Mojca

* Re: standalone
@ 2011-08-18 16:38   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-8-2011 5:58, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2011-08-18 um 17:40 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> I uploaded a new beta but please don't update the minimals as it looks
>> like the texmf-context/tex tree gets lost on the server
>
> Didn't we agree on a new name?

takes a while to reprogram myself ... we've been talking of minimals for
over a decade here

minimals work again ... apart from some patches there has been a change
in the parent chain handler (less potential clashing) that might have
introduced some temporary bugs

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE