* (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references
@ 2014-03-03 18:49 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-03-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

sorry for telling again, but I’m afraid that the following sample shows
a serious buggy interaction between \setupdirections[bidi=on] and \about
references.

\setupdirections[bidi=on]
\starttext

\section[sectionone]{Section one}

As said in \dorecurse{5}
{\about[sectionone]\footnote{Body reference misplaced.}, }
\stoptext

Both \about and footnote references in body are misplaced.

It would be great, if you could fix this.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references
@ 2014-03-04 10:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-03-04 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/3/2014 7:49 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> sorry for telling again, but I’m afraid that the following sample shows
> a serious buggy interaction between \setupdirections[bidi=on] and \about
> references.
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> \starttext
>
> \section[sectionone]{Section one}
>
> As said in \dorecurse{5}
> {\about[sectionone]\footnote{Body reference misplaced.}, }
> \stoptext
>
> Both \about and footnote references in body are misplaced.
>
> It would be great, if you could fix this.

what exactly is wrong

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-03-04 15:54   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-03-04 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/04/2014 11:30 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>> \starttext
>>
>> \section[sectionone]{Section one}
>>
>> As said in \dorecurse{5}
>> {\about[sectionone]\footnote{Body reference misplaced.}, }
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Both \about and footnote references in body are misplaced.
>>
>> It would be great, if you could fix this.
>
> what exactly is wrong

Well, text is misplaced in the lower left corner of the page (outside
margins). The attached PDF file shows it.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: misplaced-about.pdf --]

* Re: (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references
@ 2014-03-04 16:07 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2014-03-04 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:49:07PM +0100, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> sorry for telling again, but I’m afraid that the following sample shows
> a serious buggy interaction between \setupdirections[bidi=on] and \about
> references.
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=on]

No problem with \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two] (which I still
think should be the default, but Hans is not convinced).

Regards,
Khaled

* Re: (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references
@ 2014-03-04 16:11   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-03-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/04/2014 05:07 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:49:07PM +0100, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> sorry for telling again, but I’m afraid that the following sample shows
>> a serious buggy interaction between \setupdirections[bidi=on] and \about
>> references.
>>
>> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>
> No problem with \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two] (which I still
> think should be the default, but Hans is not convinced).

Many thanks, Khaled, for your quick reply that solves the issue.

Pablo
--

@ 2015-08-12 20:19   ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-08-12 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014-03-04 11:07, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:49:07PM +0100, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> sorry for telling again, but I’m afraid that the following sample shows
>> a serious buggy interaction between \setupdirections[bidi=on] and \about
>> references.
>>
>> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> No problem with \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two] (which I still
> think should be the default, but Hans is not convinced).
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

Khaled,

I too had to rely on method=two as well to get around the problem with
references appearing at the bottom left of some pages, but this seems to
be resolved with the recent betas and the changes Hans has made at
Talal's urging.

Perhaps you could test to see if resolves your cases.

--
Rik

* Re: (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references
@ 2015-08-12 21:18     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-08-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/12/2015 10:19 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2014-03-04 11:07, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:49:07PM +0100, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> sorry for telling again, but I’m afraid that the following sample shows
>>> a serious buggy interaction between \setupdirections[bidi=on] and \about
>>> references.
>>>
>>> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
>> No problem with \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two] (which I still
>> think should be the default, but Hans is not convinced).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Khaled
>
> Khaled,
>
> I too had to rely on method=two as well to get around the problem with
> references appearing at the bottom left of some pages, but this seems to
> be resolved with the recent betas and the changes Hans has made at
> Talal's urging.
>
> Perhaps you could test to see if resolves your cases.

there are three methods:

- default : based on how idris uses structured tex + mixed latin/arabic
- one : from khaled, optimized and extended a bit by me
- two : a follow up on 'one' by me (updated unicode bidi specs + more
clever fences)

'default' is more efficient and ok for most mixed cases like the ones
idris needs; i will probably leave 'one' as-is but will at some point
optimize method 'two' and probably add some options there; also, in the
case of for instance writing manuals 'default' might be a better choice

anyway, the problem with all methods (and more if it's a strict one) is
that (as with more solutions) it's hard to get around when you want
something different; also unicode bidi evolves (and actually the last
version handles some cases that were the reason for 'default' in the
first place as idris noted conceptual issues with unicode bidi at that
time) so one can wonder about compatibility issues with any such
mechanism that applies some heuristics to input instead of tagging

now, messing with the text stream is one aspect of bidi but that will
not solve layout issues and special cases like hyperlinks, margin notes,
images and such because simply reversing the par dir (or text dir) can
interfere a lot (the dir mechanism in luatex is taken from omega and was
never made for real complex mixed cases) .. many mechanisms need to be
made r2l aware

so ... in order to get everything all right we need to test and improve
stepwise ... no other way

(i'm playing with a better handling of line number for instance, where
we have quite some interaction between paragraph properties and putting
numbers at the right spot, and that's only one thing of many ... and i
prefer to leave the luatex engine untouched ... i'm not really a user of
r2l myself so ... a slow free-time process)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE