From: Rik <rik@panix.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Movable code, was Re:  starttexdefinition error in standalone, works in TL2013
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:49:09 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2014-03-01 07:32, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \unexpanded\def\startTranslation
>    {\begingroup
>     \dosingleempty\dostartTranslation}
>
> \def\dostartTranslation[#1]%
>    {\iffirstargument
>       \getrawparameters[Translation][setups=,language=en,#1]%
>     \fi
>     \grabbufferdata[Translation][startTranslation][stopTranslation]}
>
> \def\stopTranslation
>    {\language[\Translationlanguage]%
>     \Translationsetups
>     (\,\getbufferdata[Translation]\removeunwantedspaces\,)%
>     \endgroup}
>
> \starttext
>
> \startTranslation[language=nl]
> It betrays a slow-witted mentality to pursue the streams, but not to see the sources of things.
> \stopTranslation
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Wolfgang (and list),

The above code works fine with simple texts, but is not movable. Adding
a footnote, as in the following, to the text section shows that:

    \starttext
    \startTranslation[language=en]
       It betrays a slow-witted mentality to pursue the streams, but not to
       see the sources of things.%
       \footnote{%
         \startTranslation[language=la]
           Tardi ingeni est rivulos consectari, fontes rerum non videre.
         \stopTranslation%
       }
    \stopTranslation
    \stoptext

or even by:

    \starttext
       It betrays a slow-witted mentality to pursue the streams, but not to
       see the sources of things.%
       \footnote{%
         \startTranslation[language=la]
           Tardi ingeni est rivulos consectari, fontes rerum non videre.
         \stopTranslation%
       }
    \stoptext

In LaTeX, this might be dealt with by a combination robust command
definitions and \protected. When I wrote an endnotes routine in LaTeX, I
used those and wrote the notes to a file which was then read back in at
the appropriate time, but that does not help with pagenotes.

I imagine that at the time the footnote is processed the
Translationsetups and Translationlanguage macros are no longer defined,
and I have no idea how one would reference the buffer contents, although
it does look like they have stable names in the log file.

Can this be made movable?

Also, am I correct that the \iffirstargument test in the definition of
dostarttranslation is redundant? My understanding is that \dosingleempty
assures the presence of [#1].

--
Rik